Options

Listing multiple roles and titles with same company

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
Hi,

I am trying to update my resume. I'm a DoD contractor and even though I worked with the same company the past 4 years I have had about 3 different job titles with 3 different tasks all with that same company. How would I list that on my resume? Do I list every job title with descriptions on my role?

Thanks
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For me it would depend on how different the roles were. If they were fairly close I'd probably lump them into one picking the best stuff to put down. If they were completely different than I'd start separating them out with the time frame.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I have the same problem. I was a "Software Engineer" for the past two years, but now I'm a "System Security Engineer" with the same company. For now I just replaced one title with another on my resume, but if the new positions turns out to be significantly different from what I was doing, I will use one paragraph for each job classification I pick up at the same employer.
  • Options
    westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Simple answer, example:

The Tech Company, Inc. 2006 - 2011
    Network Technician (2006 - 200icon_cool.gif
    Network Engineer (2009 - 2010)
    Network Manager (2011 - PRESENT)

Network Technician
    In this position I did...

Network Engineer
    Upon being promoted to Network Engineer I....

Network Manager
    I was so awesome that I.....
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    Is it better to list the job descriptions as bullets or complete paragraphs?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would personally use bullets for the most current title (which presumably is the most "elite" of the positions you have held with said company) to emphasize your accomplishments and responsibilities in the more advanced role. Then paragraphs to summarize the previous roles.

I would also list them in reverse order:

Network Technician (2006 - 2009)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I would personally use bullets for the most current title (which presumably is the most "elite" of the positions you have held with said company) to emphasize your accomplishments and responsibilities in the more advanced role. Then paragraphs to summarize the previous roles.

I would also list them in reverse order:

Network Technician (2006 - 2009)

I agree!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63