Options

Interested in enrolling

kenmerokenmero Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I'm interested in enrolling, but have a few extremely common questions: Should someone that struggled through Algebra I even consider any IT or CS undergrad program? If so, which? I work construction with all the big companies in Silicon Valley, seems the best route for a career change. I can master anything, if given enough time...also, am I going to have any problems having things proctored near my city? I'm also very interested in which graduate schools/employers will and will not respect a WGU degree (locally of course). And finally, any place to read real WGU success stories (Google searches not helping)? Oh, and anyone interested in referring me, let me know, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    The WGU refer-a-friend thread might be where you want to be posting?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Yeah sorry, just found this site, many faux pas too come...
  • Options
    Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Should someone that struggled through Algebra I even consider any IT or CS undergrad program?

IMOP, I would stay clear of a CS degree as they are programming intensive, which means higher level math. With that said, it is hard to find a degree program that is not heavily focused on math and programming. I think this is one of the reasons WGU is so popular with the IT crowd.

I have never been good at math to say the least. I plan on transferring my AS degree to WGU as soon as I finish my last class, which happens to be an intro to C++.
  • Options
    yes, no since (French for "sense") in biting off what I cant chew, maybe I should reconsider my major. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    The math at wgu isn't that bad, there's no calculus or anything. Algebra and statistics, it's definitely learnable.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Algebra is just one class you will have to get by if you try and chase down a degree (there is always the certification route icon_eek.gif) I am sure you can learn and pass it. The real thing to consider is will you be happy with IT as a career. IMO its great and I love it but it takes some good old fashion hard work and for most some suffering in an entry level job for a year or too before you get to play with the cool toys and make the nice cake. If you put your mind to it I am sure you will knock it down just make sure you want to commit to it before signing up. Good luck and welcome to TE icon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    kenmero wrote: »
    Hi I'm interested in enrolling, but have a few extremely common questions: Should someone that struggled through Algebra I even consider any IT or CS undergrad program? If so, which? I work construction with all the big companies in Silicon Valley, seems the best route for a career change. I can master anything, if given enough time...also, am I going to have any problems having things proctored near my city? I'm also very interested in which graduate schools/employers will and will not respect a WGU degree (locally of course). And finally, any place to read real WGU success stories (Google searches not helping)? Oh, and anyone interested in referring me, let me know, thanks!

Not being good at math and chasing a CS degree will lead to heartache. I know.

I left the programming world and took a Cisco class and never went back. I like being in Networking and enjoy it, but my first love was programming, That didn't pan out.

I'm interested in WGU as well but I work in Networking and the MSISA is nice and all but geared for Security folks. The MSITMBA or whatever it is is of no interest to me. So I'm on the fence.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    So, and I realise this may sound rediculous, is there technology type field at WGU thats not for the math minded? Because I see a BA in Business as an expensive wall decoration...I mean, I'll commit to the "special-ed"--or easiest to work through--IT program, and move on from there. Is there a lower rung IT specialty and if so which? And thank you very much for helping me work this out!
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    So, and I realise this may sound rediculous, is there technology type field at WGU thats not for the math minded? Because I see a BA in Business as an expensive wall decoration...I mean, I'll commit to the "special-ed"--or easiest to work through--IT program, and move on from there. Is there a lower rung IT specialty and if so which? And thank you very much for helping me work this out!

There's always going to be a little bit of math because it's a GE requirement. It's not that much, just basically high school Algebra. It's a small price to pay for a degree.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Dude, I feel your pain...but believe it or not, even a degree in basketweaving will require a College Alegebra course. (Or at a minimum a foundations level course, like what I took about a decade ago (and transferred into WGU.)

I can tell you that math is my weakest subject, but I attacked it head on, and was able to pass it. It's really not that bad...at the worst, it's all stuff you could get a local college kid to tutor you on (if you need that last resort...)

Or, just do what I did...go to purplemath.com...the guy wrote about stuff I needed in english. You can also check out straighterline.com and get your math courses out of the way that way (it's gotta be done before you enroll though...otherwise you will have to go through the WGU stuff....).

You can't let barriers get in the way of what you want to do...otherwise, you might as well be a quitter for the rest of your life. For people like me, it took years to learn that lesson...I seriously didn't think I could even do WGU, in spite of it being not that bad...I just didn't think I could put in that level of work...and I surprised myself! :)

Remember, if you allow doubt in your head...you already failed. Sounds corny, but it's the truth, man...it's a life lesson.
  • Options
    I agree, not afraid to tackle the math IF time allows me, just dont think I'm built for a field that requires me to daydream about complex math formulas all day. I'll make it through any temporary hurdles in school with time and help. So long as it's not a field reserved solely for the complex math minded. I guess my last question for this thread is: can you repeat courses if you find yourself over your head? Hate to walk into an unforseen, costly nightmare...Thank you all again...."rediculous"?! Maybe I should worry more about spelling than math!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Since TE is all about making sure you get the right training material for your studies, I can share one resource with you that's helped me immensely: The Khan Academy.

I'm working on an electrical engineering & computer science degree right now, currently slogging my way through calculus classes, as well other advanced math courses and some calc-based physics. Trust me when I say, Sal Khan's videos are a life-saver if you need someone to give you concise, straightforward explanations of the concepts with easy-to-follow examples. He's got math videos that range from basic arithmetic all the way up through algebra, trig, and calculus. There's also quite a bit on physics, chemistry, bio, economics, and some history, if you're interested.

Good luck with your studies. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    checking it out now, thank you!