Options

Need help developing a time frame for CCNA

techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
Hello all,

I am wanting some advice from everyone that has there Cisco certifications. I have my Net+ and know the basics of the different OSI layers and I know my subnetting. I know my protocols and everything else you should know with the Net+ etc..However I am new to Cisco, I have been exposed to Cisco IP phones but that is it. I plan on studying Todd Lammle's CCNA Deluxe Study Guide, which includes a virtual lab, simulated CCNA exams, practice exams, video and audio teachings plus flash cards. I plan on studying 2 hours a day after work on the weekdays and 4 hours a day on the weekends. I feel extremely dedicated to learning this stuff. So my question is: How long did it take you and depending on the resources that I have, how long in your opinion do you think it will take me to get the CCNA? I know that there are many variables to this but given everything goes smoothly and there is no struggle on subjects.

Thanks,

Techie2012
(CCNP: Switch) Passed!
(CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
(CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
(Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:

Comments

• Options
    EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    techie2012 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am wanting some advice from everyone that has there Cisco certifications. I have my Net+ and know the basics of the different OSI layers and I know my subnetting. I know my protocols and everything else you should know with the Net+ etc..However I am new to Cisco, I have been exposed to Cisco IP phones but that is it. I plan on studying Todd Lammle's CCNA Deluxe Study Guide, which includes a virtual lab, simulated CCNA exams, practice exams, video and audio teachings plus flash cards. I plan on studying 2 hours a day after work on the weekdays and 4 hours a day on the weekends. I feel extremely dedicated to learning this stuff. So my question is: How long did it take you and depending on the resources that I have, how long in your opinion do you think it will take me to get the CCNA? I know that there are many variables to this but given everything goes smoothly and there is no struggle on subjects.

Thanks,

Techie2012

Not sure what kind of an answer you're looking for icon_silent.gif ...only you know how quickly you can get through the material, everyone is different. If everything goes smoothly and you don't struggle? ...guess that would depend on how fast you can read, plus the time it takes to do labs for each topic. If I were you I'd just get on with it and see how it goes :) I wouldn't think it would take you longer than 6 months though.
  • Options
    Eildor wrote: »
    Not sure what kind of an answer you're looking for icon_silent.gif ...only you know how quickly you can get through the material, everyone is different. If everything goes smoothly and you don't struggle? ...guess that would depend on how fast you can read, plus the time it takes to do labs for each topic. If I were you I'd just get on with it and see how it goes :) I wouldn't think it would take you longer than 6 months though.

Yeah, you are right. I guess no one can answer that question but myself. I also know that there will be some struggle but that's what makes the experience fun. Sometimes I forget that the path to getting the certification is just as awesome as receiving it. Might as well enjoy it however long it takes.
  • Options
    Yeah, you are right. I guess no one can answer that question but myself. I also know that there will be some struggle but that's what makes the experience fun. Sometimes I forget that the path to getting the certification is just as awesome as receiving it. Might as well enjoy it however long it takes.

You're right :) Just take your time and try to have a solid understanding of each topic before moving to the next icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have a solid foundation in networking, it shouldn't take that long. I would think you could knock out both the ICND1 and ICND2 tests in a matter of months if you really buckle down and study and practice. Do you have access to some Cisco routers and switches to practice with? If not, at least get a copy of Cisco Packet Tracer. It's not as good as real equipment, but it will at least allow you to practice the core topics needed to pass the CCNA exam. If you have subnetting down cold, that's half the battle. Practice static and dynamic routing (RIP, OSPF, EIGRP) show commands, Spanning Tree, VLAN's, security, Frame Relay. Todd's book is great, but I would also get the official Cisco Press books for ICND1 and ICND2. CBT Nuggets with Jeremy Cioara is also excellent. Good luck on the exams!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    AD227529 wrote: »
    If you have a solid foundation in networking, it shouldn't take that long. I would think you could knock out both the ICND1 and ICND2 tests in a matter of months if you really buckle down and study and practice. Do you have access to some Cisco routers and switches to practice with? If not, at least get a copy of Cisco Packet Tracer. It's not as good as real equipment, but it will at least allow you to practice the core topics needed to pass the CCNA exam. If you have subnetting down cold, that's half the battle. Practice static and dynamic routing (RIP, OSPF, EIGRP) show commands, Spanning Tree, VLAN's, security, Frame Relay. Todd's book is great, but I would also get the official Cisco Press books for ICND1 and ICND2. CBT Nuggets with Jeremy Cioara is also excellent. Good luck on the exams!

Thanks for the advice. In reference to the equipment question, I don't have any routers or switches as of yet. I know that Todd's book has a virtual lab disc to use. I don't know how it compares to the real thing but I have been looking on Ebay and have seen some CCNA lab bundles for about $200 and up. I may purchase a bundle after a few weeks study after researching what routers and switches people are using to study with currently. :D
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. In reference to the equipment question, I don't have any routers or switches as of yet. I know that Todd's book has a virtual lab disc to use. I don't know how it compares to the real thing but I have been looking on Ebay and have seen some CCNA lab bundles for about $200 and up. I may purchase a bundle after a few weeks study after researching what routers and switches people are using to study with currently. :D

From what I've seen on ebay the bundles/kits are usually more expensive than if you were to buy the equipment separately... just something to keep in mind when you are looking for lab equipment:)
  • Options
    Eildor wrote: »
    From what I've seen on ebay the bundles/kits are usually more expensive than if you were to buy the equipment separately... just something to keep in mind when you are looking for lab equipment:)

Thanks for all of the advice! Much appreciated. I will be receiving my Cybex book on Wednesday and so the journey will begin. This site really helped me out with my A+ and Net+, so I will be pretty active here on the forums over the next few months as I am learning. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    rob_crossleyrob_crossley Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I came into Cisco Blind, i had no solid experience so took me a great deal longer than alot of people have mentioned on this forum. But i would say essentials r the Odom books, Lammle books, and at the very least Packet tracer emulation software. These are the core materials i used. Also another good starter is Trainsignal videos by Chris Bryant.
    Study Hard! Learn Hard! Earn Hard!
    "If you stop learnin, you stop earnin!"
  • Options
    I came into Cisco Blind, i had no solid experience so took me a great deal longer than alot of people have mentioned on this forum. But i would say essentials r the Odom books, Lammle books, and at the very least Packet tracer emulation software. These are the core materials i used. Also another good starter is Trainsignal videos by Chris Bryant.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you? Did you know general networking concepts coming in to Cisco? I'm planning on sitting in 2 to 3 months. I have a solid background in networking, such as knowing protocols, hardware, network topologies and where they fit in the OSI and of course subnetting but I need to refresh but I have no experience in Cisco concepts and methodologies. ncool.gif
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck in your CCNA studies!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63