Options

Nexus 1000v question

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
I recently deployed the 1000v from a .ovf template as Thick, this is on a Netapp filer and NFS connection.

Apparently even though you choose thick it deploys as thin, think this is an NFS thing, so I inflate it, but when it gets storage Vmotioned it goes back to thin and causes the secondary to reboot.

Any else had this issue and maybe know a fix?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Files stored on NetApp over NFS will be thin by default (unless you change things on the filer), picking Thick/Thin/etc only applies to VMs stored on VMFS volumes.

Why do you think it can't run like that (i.e., why is the secondary VSM rebooting)?
  • Options
    Thin disk for the 1000v is not supported, I have been seeing some issues with them vmotioning and when I inflated the .vmdk it cured that particular issue.

What would I need to change on my filer?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Thin disk for the 1000v is not supported, I have been seeing some issues with them vmotioning and when I inflated the .vmdk it cured that particular issue.

What would I need to change on my filer?

Which filer do you have?
  • Options
    Netapp FAS2040
  • Options
    A thin provisioned VMDK on VMFS may not be supported, but hardware thin provisioning on your storage array is as the fact that it's being thin provisioned on the back-end is abstracted and seamless to the VM. You could also turn on deduplication on that flexvol and the VM wouldn't have a clue.

In other words, don't change your filer - NFS should always be thin.

I think the problem is what you're trying to do, you aren't supposed to vMotion the VSMs ever (DRS should be disabled for them, etc.). If you want to evacuate a host where a VSM is running just shut it down and it will fail over to the secondary VSM automatically.
    Vmotion of the VSM VM is not supported. In particular, DRS should not be enabled for the VSM VM. Vmotion and DRS are supported for other VMs connected to the Cisco Nexus 1000V.

Source: Cisco Nexus 1000V Getting Started Guide, Release 4.0(4)SV(1) - Overview [Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    A thin provisioned VMDK on VMFS may not be supported, but hardware thin provisioning on your storage array is as the fact that it's being thin provisioned on the back-end is abstracted and seamless to the VM. You could also turn on deduplication on that flexvol and the VM wouldn't have a clue.

In other words, don't change your filer - NFS should always be thin.

I think the problem is what you're trying to do, you aren't supposed to vMotion the VSMs ever (DRS should be disabled for them, etc.). If you want to evacuate a host where a VSM is running just shut it down and it will fail over to the secondary VSM automatically.

Just looked at the getting started guide for 4.2(1) sv1 (4) it says support for Vmotion of the VSM VM was added in as of 4.0(4)SV1(2)

I went in and made the VSM's Eagerzeroed thick, this now shows them as thick under edit settings, I agree about not changing the filer.
  • Options
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Just looked at the getting started guide for 4.2(1) sv1 (4) it says support for Vmotion of the VSM VM was added in as of 4.0(4)SV1(2).
    Good to know, thanks. :)
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like you found your answer! If you have anymore NetApp questions - feel free to shoot me a PM. (I work there :P )
  • Options
    vCole wrote: »
    Looks like you found your answer! If you have anymore NetApp questions - feel free to shoot me a PM. (I work there :P )

Very impressive, I just recently started working with Netapp filers in the last 18 months, but I definatley like what I see.

I guess question one would be how do I get a job there ! J/k