70-680, passed and thoughts

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
Passed today, was a very fair exam. There were some things on there that I hadn't come across in the material that I used to study, but those could have been beta questions, so I don't know whether or not that had an impact on my score.

Materials used: MS Press 70-680 (with the errata novella), Don Poulton's book, Gibson's 685/686 book, along with his W7 Portable Command Guide. I also spent quite a bit of time labbing deployment.

My advice for anyone taking this exam (sounds obvious, but somehow I managed to screw it up) is to spend equal amounts of time on each objective. I spent the vast majority of my study time on deployment because I kept hearing about how many people struggle with that. In hindsight, I realize I shouldn't have focused on that to the exclusion of the other objectives. I full barred deployment and a couple other areas but fell short on the details with some of the monitoring tools icon_redface.gif.

Anyway, good luck to all taking this.

Comments

• NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Congrats on the pass!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks, guys. I've been studying for this one for almost 2 months. I could have probably passed it a month ago, but this was my first MS exam, so I was pretty nervous about it.

This is the first cert I had to put a lot into, personally. Unlike many of you folks, I don't work in IT currently, so setting up a domain and labbing deployment was a lot of fun and a lot to learn, but it was definitely worth it.

Anyway, I'll be back to MS fairly soon, but I think I have a few CIW certs to knock out next, so we'll see.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, and thank you for the excellent write-up. Don't forget to update your profile with your new MCTS cert. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man!!!