Building a path

AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm looking for a little advice on a certification path (or a career path) to help me push on from where I am.

Currently I work in a 'small' (100 employees) service / repair company in the internal IT team, I've been here for over 5 years. The company is not very supportive when it comes to improving my skills and offers very little hope of a decent pay rise, but does have the benefit of only being a 10 minute drive from where I live.

I seem to be solely in charge of looking after the network, servers, workstations, and phone system, along with providing internal support and regularly fixing problems on our internal database systems (there are four! we currently have a contractor in writing a new system to replace the lot, it can't come too soon).

Currently I work with:
Server 2003/2008/2008R2
Hyper-V Server 2008 R2
SQL Server 2005
Exchange Server 2003
ISA Server 2003/2006
Windows XP/7
Office 2003/2007/2010
Various third party software

I'm looking to challenge myself and increase my marketability, skills, and self-confidence (especially when it comes to getting a new job). I enjoy pretty much everything IT and love knowing how things work, but struggle with a lack of focus and lack of discipline with theoretical studies (I'm hoping the discipline will come with focus).

I want to go for a CCNA first, and started reading Todd Lammle's CCNA Study Guide last weekend (It's been nice to discover that I can still soak information in, I'm thinking about what I've read often and feel keen to continue icon_study.gif ). Following that, I'm not sure (the sensible start would be CCNA>MCITP-SA>MCITP-EA, I think).

The following have me interested and would directly relate to my current job -
MCITP-SA (70-640, 70-642, 70-646)
MCITP-EA (MCITP-SA, 70-643, 70-680, 70-647)
MCITP-VA (70-669, 70-693, 70-647)
MCITP-EMA 2010 (70-662, 70-663)
MCITP-DBA 2008 (70-432, 70-450)
MCTS: ISA Server 2006 (70-351) - seems to have been retired, is 70-557 the replacement?

Whereas these interest me but do not directly relate to my current job (but would still be useful!) -
CCNA (Plus Voice/Security)
CCNP (after the above)
CCDA
Linux+

You see my problem with lack of focus? icon_lol.gif

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AlexM wrote: »
    I'm looking for a little advice on a certification path (or a career path) to help me push on from where I am.

Currently I work in a 'small' (100 employees) service / repair company in the internal IT team, I've been here for over 5 years. The company is not very supportive when it comes to improving my skills and offers very little hope of a decent pay rise, but does have the benefit of only being a 10 minute drive from where I live.

I seem to be solely in charge of looking after the network, servers, workstations, and phone system, along with providing internal support and regularly fixing problems on our internal database systems (there are four! we currently have a contractor in writing a new system to replace the lot, it can't come too soon).

Currently I work with:
    Server 2003/2008/2008R2
    Hyper-V Server 2008 R2
    SQL Server 2005
    Exchange Server 2003
    ISA Server 2003/2006
    Windows XP/7
    Office 2003/2007/2010
    Various third party software

I'm looking to challenge myself and increase my marketability, skills, and self-confidence (especially when it comes to getting a new job). I enjoy pretty much everything IT and love knowing how things work, but struggle with a lack of focus and lack of discipline with theoretical studies (I'm hoping the discipline will come with focus).

I want to go for a CCNA first, and started reading Todd Lammle's CCNA Study Guide last weekend (It's been nice to discover that I can still soak information in, I'm thinking about what I've read often and feel keen to continue icon_study.gif ). Following that, I'm not sure (the sensible start would be CCNA>MCITP-SA>MCITP-EA, I think).

The following have me interested and would directly relate to my current job -
    MCITP-SA (70-640, 70-642, 70-646)
    MCITP-EA (MCITP-SA, 70-643, 70-680, 70-647)
    MCITP-VA (70-669, 70-693, 70-647)
    MCITP-EMA 2010 (70-662, 70-663)
    MCITP-DBA 2008 (70-432, 70-450)
    MCTS: ISA Server 2006 (70-351) - seems to have been retired, is 70-557 the replacement?

Whereas these interest me but do not directly relate to my current job (but would still be useful!) -
    CCNA (Plus Voice/Security)
    CCNP (after the above)
    CCDA
    Linux+

You see my problem with lack of focus? icon_lol.gif

You have had good exposure in that job Alex. How many certifications do you presently hold? I think you should get a few knocked out over the course of the next few months and at the same time start hawking for a job either in a larger solutions provider or a service provider or enterprise level company.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with Turgon, you've got a great, solid base of experience there. Personally, I'd recommend doing the MCITP (SA or EA) and the CCNA (both of which will help boost the chances of your CV being selected when hunting for a new role) and then build from there depending on your future goals and personal interests. You may also find studying something within one of those particular tracks ignites a real interest which will set you off on an interesting journey :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It sounds like you want to do the System Admin path, and get into Network Admin down the road. The other thing you want to think is jobs in your local area, and see if they require those additional certs like the Hyper-V or Exchange certs, more than likely they won't. You will see more for VMWare certs than anything, so something to think about

Yeah you really have a lot of exposure with Microsoft, so if I were you I would start there first before even considering Cisco. Since you have read some of the CCNA book, you can see that it's a little different than MS, yet it's a nice chalenge. However I think your path needs to be altered a little bit. I would start doing the following below

Recommended path: 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-646, 70-647 (SA & EA)

Once you get past that, and have the time or find a job where you have exposure to Cisco, THEN start looking at Cisco certs. You can certainly create a home lab and all, but I would wait till you are done with the MS certs first. That will help you to get out of the job that you have now, and move up the ladder.
  • AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    You have had good exposure in that job Alex. How many certifications do you presently hold? I think you should get a few knocked out over the course of the next few months and at the same time start hawking for a job either in a larger solutions provider or a service provider or enterprise level company.

Hey Turgon. I don't currently hold any certifications.

I haven't done any studying since attending an evening course for Cisco CCNA in 2002 (which at the time I was doing for fun); reading Todd Lammle's book is highlighting just how much I've forgotten. I don't think I'll have any problem with hands-on learning, but theory is going to be the sticky part!

Since the majority of my knowledge is self taught I'm not sure I know enough to 'knock out' some certifications (though it would be nice to think so). :D
    Hey Turgon. I don't currently hold any certifications.

I haven't done any studying since attending an evening course for Cisco CCNA in 2002 (which at the time I was doing for fun); reading Todd Lammle's book is highlighting just how much I've forgotten. I don't think I'll have any problem with hands-on learning, but theory is going to be the sticky part!

Since the majority of my knowledge is self taught I'm not sure I know enough to 'knock out' some certifications (though it would be nice to think so). :D

Well given you have some hands on experience with Cisco at work I think you should be fine with Lammle and the Boson practice tests. Set yourself a study counter in your signature like some of the others do in the CCIE study forum and start racking up some daily study hours. I think you will be surprised how quickly you could get upto a test standard if you study daily.

Maybe start a study thread in the CCNA forum.

I say get the CCNA and meanwhile start looking for a step up with another company because I think you are ready for that.
    bertieb wrote: »
    I agree with Turgon, you've got a great, solid base of experience there. Personally, I'd recommend doing the MCITP (SA or EA) and the CCNA (both of which will help boost the chances of your CV being selected when hunting for a new role) and then build from there depending on your future goals and personal interests. You may also find studying something within one of those particular tracks ignites a real interest which will set you off on an interesting journey :)

Thanks Bertie!
    kiki162 wrote: »
    It sounds like you want to do the System Admin path, and get into Network Admin down the road. The other thing you want to think is jobs in your local area, and see if they require those additional certs like the Hyper-V or Exchange certs, more than likely they won't. You will see more for VMWare certs than anything, so something to think about

Recommended path: 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-646, 70-647 (SA & EA

Thanks kiki. I've had a look around and there are very few advertised IT jobs in my area, of those that are currently up there are two requiring EMA, one for Hyper-V and one for EA. Cisco related jobs seem to crop up quite often and generally aren't too far away, though there are none advertised at the moment.

I may have to look into moving in order to further my career, but I won't be doing that until I'm satisfied with my knowledge and then find an employer who's worth moving for!
    Well given you have some hands on experience with Cisco at work I think you should be fine with Lammle and the Boson practice tests. Set yourself a study counter in your signature like some of the others do in the CCIE study forum and start racking up some daily study hours. I think you will be surprised how quickly you could get upto a test standard if you study daily.

Maybe start a study thread in the CCNA forum.

I say get the CCNA and meanwhile start looking for a step up with another company because I think you are ready for that.

Thanks Turgon, though I'm not sure how I gave the impression I have any Cisco equipment at work (I don't) I have no issue with putting a lab together at home (I have already been eyeing up Skeletek racks and searching ebay) - I'm not quite certain what interfaces I will require on the routers yet but I've got the impression a 3550, 2x 2950s and 3x 26xxXM would make for a good base setup (along with maxed out RAM/Flash for IOS 12.4).
    Thanks Bertie!

Thanks kiki. I've had a look around and there are very few advertised IT jobs in my area, of those that are currently up there are two requiring EMA, one for Hyper-V and one for EA. Cisco related jobs seem to crop up quite often and generally aren't too far away, though there are none advertised at the moment.

I may have to look into moving in order to further my career, but I won't be doing that until I'm satisfied with my knowledge and then find an employer who's worth moving for!

Thanks Turgon, though I'm not sure how I gave the impression I have any Cisco equipment at work (I don't) I have no issue with putting a lab together at home (I have already been eyeing up Skeletek racks and searching ebay) - I'm not quite certain what interfaces I will require on the routers yet but I've got the impression a 3550, 2x 2950s and 3x 26xxXM would make for a good base setup (along with maxed out RAM/Flash for IOS 12.4).

Ah sorry. I thought you said you supported the network so assumed you had route/switch exposure. No matter. Yup the lab you quoted there would do just fine! Just post on the CCNA board for pointers about home labs. Loads of people on TE have homelabs so there's lots of help from the dudes.
    Ah sorry. I thought you said you supported the network so assumed you had route/switch exposure. No matter. Yup the lab you quoted there would do just fine! Just post on the CCNA board for pointers about home labs. Loads of people on TE have homelabs so there's lots of help from the dudes.

Unfortunately the company I work for wouldn't dream of stretching to Cisco equipment, I'm struggling to convince them to upgrade the current 10/100 'smart' switches we have. Penny pinching is one of the reasons I would like to move on - they don't do themselves any favours!
    Unfortunately the company I work for wouldn't dream of stretching to Cisco equipment, I'm struggling to convince them to upgrade the current 10/100 'smart' switches we have. Penny pinching is one of the reasons I would like to move on - they don't do themselves any favours!

Ah well. Time to move on then!