Options

telnet configuration

pieterpieter Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I recently went to write the ccna exam, but just failed.. Now i have one question wich i am no too sure about. Its got to do with telnet and configuring your vty lines.

I have boson router simulator and practise all the time, but i am only aloud to do a configuration of: line vty 0 4. if i want to set a password on the first three lines, would it be fine to put: line vty 0 2 ? I am not able to do this configuration on my simulator, and i am not sure if this will be accepted in the exam.

I would appreciate it if you could advise

thanks

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Pieter,

while preparing for CCNA with Boson software myself I noticed that this has a few glitches. Not being able to configure single vty lines might very well be one of them.

All materials and the exam always use all telnet lines (it wouldn't make sense to leave some of them without authentication anyway) so you should not bother with this. line vty 0 4 will always be the safe pick.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    pieter wrote:
    Hi
    I recently went to write the ccna exam, but just failed.. Now i have one question wich i am no too sure about. Its got to do with telnet and configuring your vty lines.

I have boson router simulator and practise all the time, but i am only aloud to do a configuration of: line vty 0 4. if i want to set a password on the first three lines, would it be fine to put: line vty 0 2 ? I am not able to do this configuration on my simulator, and i am not sure if this will be accepted in the exam.

I would appreciate it if you could advise

thanks

If you wanted to set a password for just three telnet lines, the config would be:

vty 0 2
    password techexams
    login
  • Options
    kplabkplab Member Posts: 101
    Here is the command syntax of the "line vty" command. You can configure a range of vty lines by specifying the starting and ending line numbers, or a single vty line by only specifying the starting line number.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fdial_r/drflcmo.htm#wp1064507

However, as you may telnet the router through any vty line, the normal practice is to configure line 0-4 together.
    KPLAB
    www.kp-lab.com - Free CCNA, CCNP, and Network+ Study Guides
  • Options
    WorktruckWorktruck Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually you do need to know how to set up telnet without using all the lines for the exam. Remember to read the instructions/question before assuming how they want you to set it up.
  • Options
    LongbowLongbow Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I assume that the purpose of selecting only some of the vty lines for a password is to limit the number of telnet lines available. Is this correct?
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Yeah I believe thats 100% correct.

I have Boson CCNP and doing telnet labs has crashed the program many times for me.

I don't see why it is so freaking hard for them to right a steady and stable program, especially when Boson is teamed with Cisco writing some simulators icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    lordy wrote:
    Hi Pieter,

while preparing for CCNA with Boson software myself I noticed that this has a few glitches. Not being able to configure single vty lines might very well be one of them.

I agree with that 100%. I had the same thing while using Boson.

it wouldn't make sense to leave some of them without authentication anyway) so you should not bother with this. line vty 0 4 will always be the safe pick.

Correct me folks if i am wrong. But i think that a network admin would configure the last password different which only the Admin knows .. coz its not the admins choice that which line he/she get connected to (from 0-4). So if he/she is the only person to know the last password then he/she can telnet the router any time icon_exclaim.gif
    :santa:
  • Options
    LongbowLongbow Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't configuring different vty lines with different passwords make logging in a big guessing game since you don't know which vty line you are accessing? Can this even be done?