Options

Power Supply outside the US

poszeoneposzeone Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok, i was just wondering if i was in the philippians would i make a change in the bios for the system power or just change the power supply from 115 to 230 ? i know the A+ really don't cover this, but i was just wondering about this due to the fact that the power system in the philippians is deffrent

Comments

• Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most modern PSUs are auto-switching, so you shouldn't have to change anything. Make sure with your particular model it is before trying though or BOOM, there goes your machine.
    If it isn't, they often have a little red slider on the back that you push across.
    And if it just can't handle it, it just can't handle it, you have to replace it.
  • Options
    Most modern PSUs are auto-switching, so you shouldn't have to change anything.
    didn't know this.show's you how long it's been since i got a PSU (2006)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If your power supply has a little red switch, like the one right underneath the power-button in the picture below, then you can simply flip that to either 115 or 230, depending on what you need for your region.
    Thermaltake-W0101RU.jpg
    If there is no switch, I'd recommend looking up your particular power supply's documentation to see if it's auto-switching or not. (You don't want to end up frying your power supply based on assumption. icon_wink.gif ) You will, of course, need to pick up a new power cord as well, depending on what type of plug is used in the Philippines.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The run on 60Hz like the US does. They us A, B, and C outlets while the US only uses A and B type.

AC power plugs and sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Type A is what you'd see on a Lamp Cord
    Type B is what you'd see on Computer Equipment or extension cords where the ground is present as the third pin.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ok, i understand about the PU red switch . now, i am just wondering why would the BIOS have power settings in it if we don't need any use for it but to overclock. it juswt don't make since. i may justhave to get a book or something on just the BIOS.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    poszeone wrote: »
    ok, i understand about the PU red switch . now, i am just wondering why would the BIOS have power settings in it if we don't need any use for it but to overclock. it juswt don't make since. i may justhave to get a book or something on just the BIOS.

Is your bios reporting the voltage of the current supply?

Which BIOS do you have?

What let you to think changing a setting in BIOS would correct the power supply? I'm curious (not picking on you) I've not heard anyone use this method of thought before and I"m simply looking to know what brought you into this assumption in case it ever comes up again. Was this something you read previously? Or just a guess?

There are some cool things that can be done on the BIOS level, but most users and most systems are fine with the default settings or just a few tweaks to a couple things.

If you have a Mobo and BIOS that support tweaking the power to some level, it is likely you have a board geared toward folks who overclock and I just have never found a need for overclocking (but am well aware of things to look for and such).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    What let you to think changing a setting in BIOS would correct the power supply? I'm curious (not picking on you) I've not heard anyone use this method of thought before and I"m simply looking to know what brought you into this assumption in case it ever comes up again. Was this something you read previously? Or just a guess?
    i was wondering what is the avenge of or should i say use of having the power setting in the BIOS if we don't need to do anything with it ? i am digging deeper then what is really asked for in the A+ . this is more in me trying to know "why have if you don't need it?"

the reason why i was thinking something like this is because i have seen the BIOS alot and have seen the settingss.so, i have been in the Phil. and the power is all over the place in some parts. so just thinking in safey "what if i .."