Options

How often to study for an exam?

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
This has been contemplated a lot, but I have been told it varies differently from person to person. Today I studied only an hour today and read the entire first chapter, and took the practice quiz for chapter 1 and got a 15/20. So I understood 75% of the material I am reading. How long should a person study per day?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Armymanis wrote: »
    This has been contemplated a lot, but I have been told it varies differently from person to person. Today I studied only an hour today and read the entire first chapter, and took the practice quiz for chapter 1 and got a 15/20. So I understood 75% of the material I am reading. How long should a person study per day?

I think you have already answered your question...

...I have been told it varies differently from person to person.

Each of us has a different method to study and prepare. Some folks pickup new material quickly. Others struggle and need plenty of Q&A with a mentor before it sticks.

Take your time. Set a goal test date and prepare in the method most appropriate for your study habits, learning ability and most importantly experience.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I think you have already answered your question...

Each of us has a different method to study and prepare. Some folks pickup new material quickly. Others struggle and need plenty of Q&A with a mentor before it sticks.

Take your time. Set a goal test date and prepare in the method most appropriate for your study habits, learning ability and most importantly experience.

Getting it to stick is my problem (along with Minecraft). It just seems that sometimes Im just reading words, no matter how interesting. After just reading and reading, I have to stop myself after realizing Im not picking up a damn thing.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Getting it to stick is my problem (along with Minecraft). It just seems that sometimes Im just reading words, no matter how interesting. After just reading and reading, I have to stop myself after realizing Im not picking up a damn thing.

Which is why many of the exams state the 'candidate has 'x' amount of experience'.

It is not that someone cannot pickup a book, read it, go take the exam and pass.

It is that this PROCESS is about learning the material and learning how to use it in a live environment.

Do you have a lab or access to equipment that you can at the very least practice with? Take a concept and set up the scenerio in a lab (if you don't have a live network and mentor to work with).

Otherwise, give yourself more time.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try different sources for learning the material. Professor Messer's free training videos are great, well done, and are easy to digest. That is what I have been doing. I watched his videos, then read (using Meyer's textbook) whatever the topic happened to be. This "one two" punch really helps me grasp the idea.

If I need to fill any blanks, then I research it here on the forums or youtube or google it.

One of the challenges with any self-study regimen is focus. You have to push yourself and keep yourself in check. Having the book open in front of you while you alt-tab back to minecraft or facebook does not count as studying! :) Treat it like a class. 10a-1p I study 2 chapters. Lunch break, 3-5 memorizing terms, port number etc. That will at least give you some structure in your studies.

Once you get knee deep in the material you will start having more "ah hah!" moments and it will start clicking. Take it seriously, have fun and get yourself that certification!