Options

Career Advice Please

JDidier84JDidier84 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

I have been in the Air Force for six years now and have built a strong foundation of technical troubleshooting in an environment most will never experience. However, it is in the maintenance field and I am very much trying to start my new career in the IT field.

I am also nearing the completion of my bachelor’s degree in Information Technology Security Systems. With that, I am actively pursuing a CCNA cert. My initial thought was to not pay for the cert as it is still unclear where I could land. I really enjoy networking so I figured it would complement my resume well along with show possible employers that I at least know the basics.

I very much believe that my technical skills will translate into the new field. If I can work on an F-15 that is worth over 30 mil and be responsible for pilot’s lives, then there is no doubt in my mind that I cannot completely fulfill the needs of my next employer.

The one area I worry about is experience, though it is a valid concern as most job listings I see ask for requirements that I do not have. My question to all here is what approach should I take? Currently, I have basic knowledge in a wide range of subjects. Is it silly of me to rely on my past job experiences to land me a decent job, even entry level? I believe I have truly conveyed the massive responsibility that was entrusted to me in my resume even know it is currently military avionics maintenance.

I am still 8 months out from my separation date, so I am still a bit early to truly apply for jobs, just looking for some perspective from folks around these parts!!!!

This is all new to me, dealing with civilians and all J!

Thanks in advance!

Here is my resume I have been working on. Feel free to offer suggestions. I already feel it is heavy on the military, however it is my only relevant work experience...

PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY

Results-oriented US Air Force Senior Airman with five (5) years of active military service possessing an Associates Degree in General Education (3.4 GPA); currently pursuing Bachelor of Science program for Information Technology Security Systems; maintaining a 3.6 GPA.
Projected graduation Fall 2011. Actively seeking a career in the Information Technology field.

· Proven leader with a track record of building successful teams
· Highly skilled in technical management, communications, and first-line supervision
· Resourceful problem solver with the ability to quickly resolve challenging situations
· Active Secret Clearance

Application of military experience and formal education provides valuable insight into the profitable, efficient tactical management of technical products and services.

Service separation date: January 2012

EMPLOYMENT CHRONOLOGY

United States Air Force Military Service

Crew Chief / 757 Eagle Squadron - Nellis Air Force Base / Las Vegas, Nevada

May 2009 to Present

· Supervise personnel in daily preventative / corrective maintenance actions (16 F15 aircraft at $29.9 Million per)

· Responsible for accounting and control of $250K quarterly in maintenance equipment and spare tools
· Maintain updates / revision control for maintenance data and technical manuals utilized by squadron technical personnel
· Responsible for the government’s investment, the equipment, and lives of the flight crew

Assistant Crew Chief / 33rd Fighter Wing – Eglin Air Force Base / Niceville, Florida

June 2006 to April 2009

· Performed preventative and corrective maintenance actions in support of active Air Combat Command

ü Pre-flight / post-flight inspections on F-15 aircraft

ü Performed technical trouble shooting and corrective maintenance

ü Responsible for aircraft technical documentation and flight records (maintenance records and scheduled inspections)

Military Awards / Recognition & Honors

· Air Force Achievement Medal (June 2009) for exemplary performance of duties (Eglin AFB)

· Participant in ‘Red Flag’ 2008, (advanced global aviation training exercises)
· Completion of Dedicated Crew Chief course (demonstrates ability to accept greater challenges, responsibilities, in maintaining and performing solo work on the F-15C/D)
· Participant in ‘Operation Nobel Eagle’ (aviation support for the President of the United States)
· Achieved consistent highest rating, level 5, on yearly EPR’s (Enlisted Performance Reviews)

EDUCATION

University of Phoenix(May 2007 - Present)

Associates Degree, General Education – awarded May, 2008 (3.4 GPA). Currently enrolled in Bachelor of Science program for Information Technology Security Systems; maintaining a 3.6 GPA.

Core courses
· SQL
· Web Design
· Networking
· Windows Server
· Unix
· Java
· Information Systems Security
· Information Systems Risk Management
· Enterprise Security
· Application Implementation

Tyndall Air Force Base (March – July 2006); Panama City, Florida

Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Technical School

Excellent professional and personal references available upon request.

**NOTE

I am not to sure what to do with the education section. My associates degree is for no reason other than I enrolled in school simply to not waist time and get the credits out of the way, I am thinking I should remove it all together..

Also, Should I expand on my core courses and give a bit of detail to some of the projects I actually did in my classes? Or what would that be to much?

Comments

• Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    <--- currently a 3D0X3.

You could always look at cross training into Comm. Its a whole different world in Comm than AMXS. My boss is a prior F15 Comm Nav guy. You get 4 years of experience and the chance to continue your education and develop vendor specific knowledge. I know it sounds rosier than intended but you get the drift. If you are adamant about separating, I don't think you will have much trouble getting a job, your knowledge with electronics will be transferable. It will be more about how you translate that on your resume to skills the employer sees as valuable. Also having a current clearance can give you a leg up over other applicants if you apply to a DOD contractor.

If you want to work infrastructure routers/switches then a CCNA is great cert to have. If you want to work on servers and computers then having a Microsoft cert would be the best course to take. This is part is all up to you.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDidier84 wrote: »
    Hello all.

I have been in the Air Force for six years now and have built a strong foundation of technical troubleshooting in an environment most will never experience. However, it is in the maintenance field and I am very much trying to start my new career in the IT field.

I am also nearing the completion of my bachelor’s degree in Information Technology Security Systems. With that, I am actively pursuing a CCNA cert. My initial thought was to not pay for the cert as it is still unclear where I could land. I really enjoy networking so I figured it would complement my resume well along with show possible employers that I at least know the basics.

I very much believe that my technical skills will translate into the new field. If I can work on an F-15 that is worth over 30 mil and be responsible for pilot’s lives, then there is no doubt in my mind that I cannot completely fulfill the needs of my next employer.

The one area I worry about is experience, though it is a valid concern as most job listings I see ask for requirements that I do not have. My question to all here is what approach should I take? Currently, I have basic knowledge in a wide range of subjects. Is it silly of me to rely on my past job experiences to land me a decent job, even entry level? I believe I have truly conveyed the massive responsibility that was entrusted to me in my resume even know it is currently military avionics maintenance.

I am still 8 months out from my separation date, so I am still a bit early to truly apply for jobs, just looking for some perspective from folks around these parts!!!!

This is all new to me, dealing with civilians and all J!

Thanks in advance!

Military experience can work both ways. Some companies like it, others will be concerned of a lack of commercial experience. They are not the same thing. One of the things you will need to adjust to is the difference in formality, process and control structures in civilian work. You also need to disconnect from being a soldier or airman in some senses. Desktops, servers and network gear will be your work now not aircraft. I have worked with a few ex-military guys. They adjusted well and are good at their jobs. I think their experience in the army gave them a methodical approach to work. They can stay focused, calm and cool under pressure. This is all good. But one is averse to meeting any other ex-miltary types in his line of work as he says 'it just ends up being one boring war story after another'.

I should add that while certain types of work seems more friendly to ex miltary i.e DoD or the workplaces in and around D.C, there is something of a prevailing feeling that being ex-military isn't helping people find work in and of itself. Just something to think about there because if you want to leverage your background you may need to target the geography of your job search to US locations where it matters. The military complex in the US is enormous and I think you will find a large proportion of TE IT professionals either working IT in the military or serving the military by proxy through a supplier or government position. So ask around here.

You haven't mentioned any specific IT experience that you have and that is the deal clincher when you look for work. It will determine how badly paid you are off the bat.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Military experience can work both ways. Some companies like it, others will be concerned of a lack of commercial experience. They are not the same thing. One of the things you will need to adjust to is the difference in formality, process and control structures in civilian work. You also need to disconnect from being a soldier or airman in some senses. Desktops, servers and network gear will be your work now not aircraft. I have worked with a few ex-military guys. They adjusted well and are good at their jobs. I think their experience in the army gave them a methodical approach to work. They can stay focused, calm and cool under pressure. This is all good. But one is averse to meeting any other ex-miltary types in his line of work as he says 'it just ends up being one boring war story after another'.

I should add that while certain types of work seems more friendly to ex miltary i.e DoD or the workplaces in and around D.C, there is something of a prevailing feeling that being ex-military isn't helping people find work in and of itself. Just something to think about there because if you want to leverage your background you may need to target the geography of your job search to US locations where it matters. The military complex in the US is enormous and I think you will find a large proportion of TE IT professionals either working IT in the military or serving the military by proxy through a supplier or government position. So ask around here.

You haven't mentioned any specific IT experience that you have and that is the deal clincher when you look for work. It will determine how badly paid you are off the bat.

This is the key reason I am trying to get my CCNA before I get out. I have no "work" experience in IT. The only thing I can get at this point, at least to get into networking, is a CCNA that just shows I understand the basics. At least I think this is how it would work. I am sure there is a difference between entry level CCNA and working CCNA individuals.....

I mean, my degree in IT is good and all, but mostly paper right now with no real working XP....icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    I guess what my main message I want to convey from my military experience is that I have a proven work ethic and proven that I can handle massive responsibility. Something I am sure most entry level people will not have.

I completely understand that I will get nothing more than an entry level shot.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One thing you do have going for you is the active clearance. It'll help you out.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I guess what my main message I want to convey from my military experience is that I have a proven work ethic and proven that I can handle massive responsibility. Something I am sure most entry level people will not have.

I completely understand that I will get nothing more than an entry level shot.

That's the same mantra of a lot of ex-military people and many of them are struggling to find work. A lot of people going to into entry level have degrees which many employers value. The extent to which your former background is seen as useful really depends who is doing the hiring in the commercial sector. But I still think your background has plusses if you pitch it right.
  • Options
    That's the same mantra of a lot of ex-military people and many of them are struggling to find work. A lot of people going to into entry level have degrees which many employers value. The extent to which your former background is seen as useful really depends who is doing the hiring in the commercial sector. But I still think your background has plusses if you pitch it right.

I agree. Which is why I think my resume should have the right tone to it.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the forums, hope you stick around. As earweed said, your clearance will help you out.

Just the one thing with your resume, I dont think it's going to pull you any entry-level jobs. HR goons would overlook you since they'd deem you too senior for such roles, they might be like "I doubt this guy is going to stick around for long".

Just something to think about my the kind of you resume you should have and the kind of roles you should apply for. Just like someone else said, look for those DoD jobs, a guy like you should be snapped up in a heartbeat!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums, hope you stick around. As earweed said, your clearance will help you out.

Just the one thing with your resume, I dont think it's going to pull you any entry-level jobs. HR goons would overlook you since they'd deem you too senior for such roles, they might be like "I doubt this guy is going to stick around for long".

Just something to think about my the kind of you resume you should have and the kind of roles you should apply for. Just like someone else said, look for those DoD jobs, a guy like you should be snapped up in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the comment. What did you mean by HR might over look me?
  • Options
    Thanks for the comment. What did you mean by HR might over look me?

Im assuming you will be applying for an entry level type role? That's essentially underpaid grunt work dealing with lots of tickets. A lot of people hiring into these roles are not looking for ambition or seniority. Your CV comes across as supervisory and leadership material. All fine qualities!

Like the previous poster said I would start to target the DoD contract space as you can leverage your military background better there. What areas interest you?

Service Management
    Operations Management
    Design
    Security
    Servers
    Networks
    Database
    Applications
  • Options
    Im assuming you will be applying for an entry level type role? That's essentially underpaid grunt work dealing with lots of tickets. A lot of people hiring into these roles are not looking for ambition or seniority. Your CV comes across as supervisory and leadership material. All fine qualities!

Like the previous poster said I would start to target the DoD contract space as you can leverage your military background better there. What areas interest you?

Service Management
    Operations Management
    Design
    Security
    Servers
    Networks
    Database
    Applications

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean now.

Networks and Security are things I really enjoy and I think could complement my security clearance well. I could also see being involved with operations as I can relate to that in some areas.

I plan to attack the DOD market really hard and with that, I think a few edits to this resume and it can fit the DOD purpose, however I would like to build a few versions of my resume to be more civilian friendly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean now.

Networks and Security are things I really enjoy and I think could complement my security clearance well. I could also see being involved with operations as I can relate to that in some areas.

I plan to attack the DOD market really hard and with that, I think a few edits to this resume and it can fit the DOD purpose, however I would like to build a few versions of my resume to be more civilian friendly.

I would have a look at ITIL if I was you because I think you can leverage your supervisory experience there into IT service management and start to earn some decent money. Your degree gives you some foundation in technology which would help you relate to the work that more skilled operations professionals reporting into you would be doing. Your crisis management experience will be useful. You could learn to lead technical IT teams.

You can pick up Security + or CCNA along the way. You already have a clearance which is more valuable. I would be cautious of going all out 'tech'. There is a lot of competition out there and you could be stuck on average money for 3 - 5 years while you try and get enough experience to pass yourself off as a senior technical IT guy.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    (1) try to find some volunteer work to do in your area (you need experience, and this shows initiative on your part, the same as going after that education and cert does.. most of us are concerned about your IT experience.

(2) clearancejobs.com

(3) usajobs.gov

(4) base transition assistance - there should be a program that gives you some help with transitioning from the uniformed service. hit them up early and often.

(5) alumni -there are others who have already separated from the service. We know what you have experienced, as we have gone through it ourselves. We're willing to help you out.

As prior service U.S. Army, I completely agree that "high pressure" in the civilian world is NOTHING compared to "might die today" in the military world. You get a whole new perspective on things. Your military experience conditions you to assume high responsibility positions, and to basically "perform well, or lives could be lost" it really is like that. Comms and security are the two most vital things in the military, you get those two going first time boots hit the ground in a fresh AO. You already have a perspective on that that cannot be taught, as you have EXPERIENCED it. Interviewer: How do you handle high pressure situations? Answer: I quickly evaluate the urgency of the situation, and then decide the best course of action, then pursue it, with conviction and urgency. There's no time for being afraid of what might go wrong, you have confidence, because of your training and experience that you will solve the problem.

My last job, nearly the entire staff was ex-military, and it wasn't a DOD contractor, just the manager got the vibe that the ex-military could perform well under pressure situations without panicking ... I guess that was important to him. My current job, yeah, it's a DOD contractor, and ex-military is the primary source of bodies, as it is a lot easier for us to get into the culture we assist on a daily basis.

Can I get a Hooah?!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)