Question about information in book vs study guide

blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
Following the advice of these forums I've been reading Todd Lammle's Net+ book along with this study guide: Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE

I've been finding that at times Lammle's book lacks or has conflicting information with the above study guide, sometimes with the majority of what I find on the internet. There aren't big discrepancies, but because I'm creating my own study guide as I go according to the Net+ exam objectives, I feel like I'm spending more time fact checking whereas I could have finished this material in two weeks. He isn't exactly the best writer either, so sometimes his point is lost in his fourth grade approach to writing.

Am I better off simply reading the book and trusting that it's the correct information, then adding in the second source as more food for thought/filler type info? Should I maybe try picking up another book? I really would rather not, because I feel like I could just study this websites study guide and some others, and use google to define objectives they didn't cover... I'm getting the feeling I'm obsessing over the equivalent of a college final, which really shouldn't be the case.

Comments

• blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Here is an example, from the web study guide:

Straight through vs Crossover - A straight through cable uses either the 568A or 568B wiring standard and is used for connecting devices to routers, hubs, switches, etc. An crossover cable is used to connect computing devices together directly (i.e. connecting 2 computers directly together). A crossover cable uses the 568A standard on one end and 568B on the other end.

While Lammle starts his Wiring Standards section saying straight through cable is 568A, and cross over cable is 568B. For anyone who happens to have his book I'm referencing pages 77-79.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    for 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX a straight-through cable can be either 568A or 568B it doesn't matter as long as both ends are wired the same and with a crossover cable one side would be 568A and the other would be 568B.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I feel like I've ran into this issue a bunch of times before... Has anyone had similar experience with Lammle's book? Is it better just to get the gist of the exam from the book, and fine concise definitions elsewhere? Or is his book really as bad as the first three chapters have come off as?
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I've not read Lamle's net+ book but it is always better to use multiple resources. A couple books and the professor messer books should be good for the NET+. Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training
  • lockdnloadedlockdnloaded Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Lamle's book and ran into the same issues. I just googled the topic and used Professor messer's videos to clear things up when needed. This is the way I passed the exam. Good luck!