Options

2950 switch problem

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I have 2 2950 switches. 1 is working fine and the other is messed up and I'm clueless as to what the problem is. Before hooking it up I powered it up and the system light went to green (which should mean IOS is loaded. Switch is completely locked (using putty and console port). When powering up the screen shows a lot of foreign characters (technical term is gobble-dy-gook...I think)
I can get to the boot loader by pressing mode button at power up and when I type in flash_init I have 2 files and 1 directory. After doing flash_init and getting basic info one of those foreign characters appears and system is locked up.
I'm assuming there is no IOS and I can't even get any normal methods of copying the IOS image I have to the switch. It denies m permission to copy anything to flash...and I can't get in to change/reset passwords.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The fact that your getting a bunch of random characters tells me that someone probably changed the baud rate. When you connect using your terminal emulator changed the baud rate to the available options til one of them works. I would start with 115200 and work my way down.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like TimberWolf said, it's probably a changed baud rate. If you can get into regmon, you may be able to just set the config-register back to 0x2102 and make all well again.
  • Options
    I did set and it said my baud rate is 9600. I've been scouring the cisco site all night and nothing helps
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All the serial connection settings are correct? Not just baud. Then again, I'm not sure if you can change them on the 2950.

Other than that:
    "If you connect the 2950 switch via ethernet cable to another switch and you see the 2950 in 'show cdp nei' it means the switch is up and running.
    So I see 3 possible problems:

1. Bad console cable.
    2. Bad console port.
    3. Incorrect hyperterminal settings."

Well, we can rule out 3 on your computer, as it's working fine on the other 2950.
    Maybe, if it still has a config on it, you could telnet into it from the other switch?

Another thing. Has it been opened and the original flash already been removed by someone else?
  • Options
    Got it working fine now. The config_reg was set wrong and I finally got it fixed. I now have both switches and both my routers up and running.