Options

Ready to start studying for CCNA again

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings.

I'm ready to jump off on the CCNA again. Here is a quick update on my situation.

I'm currently in the US Army working in a NOC type position with some Cisco equipment. I want to complete my CCNA here in the next few months. I do have a few Cisco routers and switches, however they are in storage and not sure if I will be able to get my hands on some physical equipment to study with.

Because of this was wondering if it would be in my best interest to purchase either Cisco Packet Tracer or the Router Sim software.

Also I have Cisco books by Odom and Lammie and bought these back in mid-2009. Was wondering if they are still up-to-date for the test or if I need to buy new books. Also not sure when Cisco is going to update their CCNA exam, I believe it was last updated back in 2007.

Was also looking at buying either the Train Signal or CBTNuggets to help in the study process. Was wondering what others would recommend on this.

thanks again
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you purchased the Cisco Press books back in mid 2009 they should still be up-to-date for the current ICND1 and ICND2 exams. The Lammle book is up to the 7th Edition now I think, but the sixth edition covers the current exam topics too.

If you can't practice on real Cisco routers and switches, then by all means get a copy of Packet Tracer. I used it to practice the sims when I took the ICND1 and ICND2 exams, but build a home lab to get "real world" experience if you can afford it. Nothing like practicing on real Cisco equipment and learning how to fix things when they go wrong. Hard to do that with a simulator.

CBT Nuggets and Train Signals are both very good video series. Jeremy Cioara is an excellent instructor; probably the best or at least the most popular for CCNA. He is very entertaining and funny and you will learn a lot watching his videos, but don't rely on them alone for the exam. Chris Bryant is more thorough in his videos and really covers the exam topics well. You can't go wrong either way.

Also, this is a good rule of thumb. If you can score in the high 90's on the Boson practice exams that come with the Cisco Press books, then you are ready to take the real thing. I actually found the Boson tests harder than the real thing. They are pretty good for showing you the areas you are weak in, and will help you focus your exam studies.

For ICND1, know the fundamentals. Be able to reverse engineer a subnet in about 15 seconds. Don't spend more than 10 minutes on any sim on the exam, for the simple reason that you will run out of time of you spend more than that. Know your show commands, RIP routing, static routing, port numbers, IOS commands, OSI 7-layer model, encapsulation mismatch errors, etc. For ICND2, study Access Control Lists, Frame Relay, variable length subnet masks, OSPF and EIGRP, Spanning Tree Protocol, VLAN's, Good luck!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your books are still good.

Boson is probably the most complete simulation solution -- and you can do some of your own topologies (just watch out for software bugs when you get away from the canned labs that come with it). You could always ask them if they offer a Military Discount (or get the CCNP version for the CCNA price). :D

The Cisco Press Simulator is more of an exercise environment -- but you still get a CLI workout.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Because of this was wondering if it would be in my best interest to purchase either Cisco Packet Tracer or the Router Sim software.

You cant buy Packet Tracer. The only place you can legally obtain a copy is the Cisco Networking Academy website, and you have to be a student, instructor of alumni of the program to get to the PT download.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You work on the equipment on a daily basis, so you have some familiarity from that.

Much easier to read Lammle than the Cisco Press material :D

The books should still be good, until the exam is re-numbered, and/or the blueprint on the site gets updated

I can't vouch for any router simulation products.

I can't vouch for any video tutoring products.

These postings might help you:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/6434-ccna-faq-please-read-before-posting.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/340-technotes-ccna.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/823-techlabs-ccna.html
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Greetings.

I'm currently in the US Army working in a NOC type position with some Cisco equipment.

That's interesting! If you don't mind me asking, are you enlisted or officer? I tried to recall seeing Cisco devices back in my Army days but I don't recall. I have been curios as to what mos/branch would be dealing with networking.
  • Options
    So I just noticed on Amazon that Wendell's book is in its 3rd edition and Lammle's book is in the 7th edition.

I have the 2nd edition of Wendell's book and Lammle's book in the 6th edition.

Are these books outdated for the CCNA exam?

I would hate to buy new books, except I don't want to sit down for the test and not have relevant questions.

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So I just noticed on Amazon that Wendell's book is in its 3rd edition and Lammle's book is in the 7th edition.

I have the 2nd edition of Wendell's book and Lammle's book in the 6th edition.

Are these books outdated for the CCNA exam?

I would hate to buy new books, except I don't want to sit down for the test and not have relevant questions.

thanks

I can't speak for Lammle's book but the Cisco Press one is still valid. I did the CCENT Saturday and there was nothing on it that wasn't covered in my 2nd edition book. For whatever reason the 2 pack of books shows 3rd edition while the individual books are shown as 2nd. So you do have the most up to date Cisco Press ones.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 6th edition of Todd's book should still work if you're also using Wendell's books.

The 7th edition of Todd's book covers some of the "refreshed topics" in the 640-802 exam blueprint. If you pay close attention to the exam blueprints you may see that sometime Cisco does make minor tweaks to the topic lists (or descriptions) beyond simple typos or grammar changes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    okplaya wrote: »
    That's interesting! If you don't mind me asking, are you enlisted or officer? I tried to recall seeing Cisco devices back in my Army days but I don't recall. I have been curios as to what mos/branch would be dealing with networking.

As the poster won't answer, I'll respond, based on my Army time:

1. Enlisted or Warrant - officers do not perform hands-on work
    2. We have plenty of Cisco kit in the Army
    3. MOS - most likely the 25B (which I had) or 251. If not that one, then maybe some other one similar in the 25 series or 251 (warrant series). 25B was the second best MOS in the military. The warrant equivalent was the first best :D. Being an officer was a potential crapshoot, at least enlisted/warrant choose their field. Commissioned officers ... it's a luck of the draw type of thing. From what I read, being a PT beast is one of the best ways to get high on the order of merit list in officer school, to get your MOS of choice...but still no guarantees. (Who wouldn't want to be the signal officer, then get out of the service geared towards executive-level IT positions?)
    4. Branch - Signal ... you gotta communicate
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    As the poster won't answer, I'll respond, based on my Army time:

1. Enlisted or Warrant - officers do not perform hands-on work
    2. We have plenty of Cisco kit in the Army
    3. MOS - most likely the 25B (which I had) or 251. If not that one, then maybe some other one similar in the 25 series or 251 (warrant series). 25B was the second best MOS in the military. The warrant equivalent was the first best :D. Being an officer was a potential crapshoot, at least enlisted/warrant choose their field. Commissioned officers ... it's a luck of the draw type of thing. From what I read, being a PT beast is one of the best ways to get high on the order of merit list in officer school, to get your MOS of choice...but still no guarantees. (Who wouldn't want to be the signal officer, then get out of the service geared towards executive-level IT positions?)
    4. Branch - Signal ... you gotta communicate

My bad on not answering, better late then never.

I'm in the MOS called 25N, which is basically an MOS that managed mobile server rooms that are in the back of trucks.

Some of the duties include the following and is not necessary a complete list:
    -managing Cisco routers/switches
    -managing Cisco VoIP phones and Call Manager
    -managing various encryption devices that encrypts traffic over secure/unsecure networks
    -also working with PBXs, IDS, firewalls, Terminal Servers and other pieces of equipment

I'm wanting to get my CCNA so I can go Warrent Officer.

thanks

-unknown
  • Options
    My bad on not answering, better late then never.

I'm in the MOS called 25N, which is basically an MOS that managed mobile server rooms that are in the back of trucks.

Some of the duties include the following and is not necessary a complete list:
    -managing Cisco routers/switches
    -managing Cisco VoIP phones and Call Manager
    -managing various encryption devices that encrypts traffic over secure/unsecure networks
    -also working with PBXs, IDS, firewalls, Terminal Servers and other pieces of equipment

I'm wanting to get my CCNA so I can go Warrent Officer.

thanks

1. Great MOS choice, going warrant would be even greater
    2. You have terrific equipment to work with
    3. You can pass the CCNA. Just get to it. I'm studying for it right now also, if that helps any ... which reminds me that I need to update my thread.

"Hooooooah!"