Options

password recovery has been disabled 3640

geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
So I go into to check on a 3640 I got off eBay. Load it up and notice I don’t see any output in HyperTerminal until I see “Press Return to get started!” Type enable and get a password request, no surprise so I shut it down and restart to get it in rommon to start the recovery.. Pound a way on ctrl+ break and get noting. A little Googling and it looks like password recovery has been disabled. A lot more Googling and I can find how to do this, but not how to undo this!

So do I have any option or do I have a break on my hands?

Comments

• Options
    More Googlefu and I get this..
    Routers that have nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) chips can be removed and reseated. The NVRAM is implemented with battery-backed up static RAM (SRAM). If you remove the SRAM, the contents of NVRAM are erased as well as the no service password-recovery configuration. Be sure to use proper anti-static procedures when you handle the NVRAM. Some of these routers are 3640 and 3660.

Any ohhh wait don't do thats before I do this?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You could boot the router and try hitting the break key after the IOS image decompresses and shows you [OK] -- you've got 5 seconds. It should give you a reset option.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3y/12_3ya8/gtnsvpwd.html#wp1027258
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You could boot the router and try hitting the break key after the IOS image decompresses and shows you [OK] -- you've got 5 seconds. It should give you a reset option.

yea, does not show it decompressing.. First thing I get is the "Press Return to get started!"
  • Options
    geek4god wrote: »
    yea, does not show it decompressing.. First thing I get is the "Press Return to get started!"

apparently if you are plugged into the AUX port you wont see jack.. lol
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    ChooseLife wrote: »

Reset the memory and flash, got it into rommon and got her reset.. It is in better shape case wise then anyone I have got off ebay and it cost me 9.99 + 26.70 for shipping. It is going to become the frame relay and access server router! Assuming that is possible in the same switch as a n00b i think it is! lol