Options

How many times did you have to interview in IT before you acquired your first IT job?

2»

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Thought this would be an interesting topic. How many times did you have to Interview in IT before you acquired your first IT job?

So far I have interviewed twice at two different companies for two different entry level IT positions. How about you guy's? Were you guy's ever asked if you could set up a domain?

My first IT job was in the military, so, I can guess that I went through about four rounds of elimination before finally getting the job:
    1 - the initial recruiter
    2 - MEPS (military entrance processing station) - drug test, physical, ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery), et. al
    3 - Basic Training (general soldier skills, Army doctrine, physical conditioning)
    4- AIT (Advanced Individual Training)

Note: You're not awarded your MOS (military occupational specialty) until after you complete your AIT, so you really don't have the job until that point.

Now, post military:

I had two interviews at one place in Wichita (one over the phone, another in person) where I eventually went.

I had one over the phone for Fort Leavenworth, on which they immediately offered, and I refused, since they wanted someone to write web pages, and I felt that would be a waste of skills, as I was already MCSE at the time I was leaving the service. I had read the job description before applying, and it didn't mention anything about that, but the interviewer said that was the main thing they were looking for, a web designer.

I had another place in Wichita that I interviewed with over the phone, but they said they'd get back to me later, and they did, like six months later, but I was already at the other job at this point.

... that was my first post-military job.

===========

my second, I interviewed at two different places, and I got called back for a second interview at one, and was then offered an opportunity. The other place I interviewed at, they came back to me a month later, but it was too late, as I was already working.

===========

my third, I interviewed for an overseas contractor over the phone, and they wanted me, but I didn't want to go ... they kept calling for another three or four months. another contractor called me up, and it so happened they interviewed me over the phone while I was driving to another interview (i am not condoning talking while driving), and this happened to be the offer I took. while I mention it, that interview I drove up to, fell through, and they didn't offer, and I actually had to drive twice for that one.)

================

my fourth, I decided I wanted something else, and I drove to this one place Robert Half gave a job offer, but the guy gave the impression that he didn't want to hire people who wanted to better themselves and move on to better things, so I thought that was dead in the water, as I made it clear that I wanted to move higher, but he called back later trying to get me to come back for a second interview, and I was like no way! He was the boss, and I felt that I could take his job, it would be bad for me to go there with that kind of tension. I had another interview where Cisco flew me in, and they parade you through all these interview sessions, and then a month later I'm notified that I'm not in the top 50% (they accepted basically half of the people they brought in to interview). That stung, particularly since I was with these other people who got selected ahead of me during the group style interview sessions, and didn't see what they had that I didn't ... unless it was age or income discrimination?! (It was a program for recent college graduates, and maybe I was either too old, or too expensive to be in that program.) Their recruiter suggested I try again for the program in the future, or specifically try for their Government support positions, or their programs for the more experienced. I guess I shouldn't let it get me down too much. I have a buddy who works at Cisco, and he says that he had to interview three times before getting accepted, and I know he's particularly brilliant and young, so not too sure what they were looking for. And, I go to the job that I'm at now. I basically emailed back a recruiter who had emailed me earlier in the year, and asked him if the opportunity was still available. I interview in a week, and I'm at another job two weeks later.

In summary, I think the odds are pretty good for you once you make it to the point of getting the interview.

Also, it makes me look back and realize that I've only acquired one job that wasn't through a recruiter--I must not know the right people!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I had an unfair advantage because a relative of mine owned a PC repair shop. So, I didn't have any real interviews to break into IT. That kind of crippled me in a way, though. I stayed at that shop for 5 years and developed basic PC/Networking skills, but had no job hunting/interviewing skills.

I landed 2 more desktop/jr. admin jobs after that on the first interview both times. Then I decided I wanted a pure networking gig.....that took a few. I didn't have loads of hands on experience with Cisco gear, so it took 3 or 4 carefully chosen applications before I landed my current job.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    My first job was in help desk, and I interviewed (if you want to call it that) once before getting it. I was working in customer service but for whatever reason, the VP of HR and VP of Operations took a liking to me and recommended that I applied. Once I turned in the application, I had an "interview" with the VP of IT and was offered the position the next day.

I usually land a job after 1 or 2 interview, but it's only because I apply to jobs that I think I would be a good fit for.
  • Options
    MusicITMusicIT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My first IT job was a struggle to get. I applied to ~5 jobs a day for 3 months, had a couple interviews with companies but nothing came out of them. I had applied to every career website available, called friends and family, networked, but nothing. Then one day I was looking on craigslist and applied to 2 different companies had interviewed with both companies, and got offers from both companies. The job I accepted ended up being 5 miles from my house. Now a year later I still have people calling to set up interviews for companies.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was given a promotion into my first IT job from an accounting position. I had no experience but was good at basic troubleshooting. After I was laid off I had to learn to interview. I applied for 2 or so jobs per day. I got two interviews from recruiters and one contract from them that got me by. I got four interviews from my personal contacts and one of those got me the job I'm in today. Nepotism is the easiest path to any job. It's all in who you know.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Two interviews at the first IT job I applied for. I consider myself very fortunate.