Options

List currently logged on users Windows 2003

jheal00jheal00 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I could use some help with what I thought should be fairly simple. How can I display a list of users that are currently logged on to a windows 2003 server?

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Right click My Computer go to manage. Look under System Tools + Shared Folders + Sessions
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    This is a somewhat legitimate question. But, first, users do not log onto servers in normal network operation. Users log onto client PCs--W2k Pro, XPPro, W9x, etc., operating systems--and access shared folders and files on servers or other PCs or maybe print a document on a network printer through that server. These things I know. Also, more than one user can be logged onto a Linux machine because each one can use a different shell, but this is not done on windows computers(not that I'm aware of).

I also know that the number of clients that are allowed to access a network share is limited by doing right-click on Sharename>Properties>Sharing tab and you can see the Allowed users. The maximum allowed is 10 per share(I'm presently looking at W2k, but I think 2003 is much the same). You can go on to Security tab>Advanced...>Auditing tab and you can add users or groups to be audited when accessing this share. Maybe this will help you.

Also you can go to Computer Mangement consol in Administrative tools, then System Tools/Shared Folders/Sessions and find out how many sessions are open on shares, and also see how many shared files are open.

There may be other third-party applications, that will allow you to find out exactly who is on and where at, but I can't remember doing this on Windows OS alone.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else knows better. Hope they respond. That would be good info!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    jheal00jheal00 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you both for your quick responses. I was looking in the right place but nothing appeared there(at first). I had just downloaded and installed Windows 2003 Server demo from Microsoft. Unfortunately, I put it on an old PII-233 mhz computer with 256 megs of ram. It runs a little slow (actually, a lot slow) but the logged on users from my laptop and my other desktop finally did show up. I guess I was just a little to quick in asking this question. Thanks again.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you could also use the 'net session' command.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete