Options

2950's switches

mikesz81mikesz81 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
anyone knows whether 2950 can be daisy chained using patch NOT crossover cable (I know newer Cisco switches can)?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, the 2950 does not support Auto-MDI/MDIX
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    chXchX Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As above, 2950s don't support it.

I've also heard it's preferable to avoid using Auto-MDI/MDIX where possible (easy enough to just use the right cable!) as it can cause issues with speed/duplex negotiation. I believe both of those are required to be configured as auto while using MDIX.
    2019 Goals:
    [ ] Recertify CCNA
  • Options
    mikeszmikesz Member Posts: 115
    Thanks very much for your replies. I have crimped 3 new crossover cables.

Can you please let me know if 2950 with 12.1(14)EA1 IOS is mean to support RSTP? I tried setting it up, but this mode does not appear?
    Instead I set PVST with both UPLINK and PORTFAST and not even one dropped packet - is a replacement, the only option available at this IOS?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - still quite new to CISCO.

Cheers
    Long term plan:
    2011: CCNA (70%), CCNA: Security, MCITP:Messaging
    2012: VCP, CEH, Linux+, start RHCA/E
    2013: finish RHCA/E, CCNP
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I learned this shortly after I bought two of them. Auto-MDIX is not a feature of the 2950. My lesson learned was to do my research before buying.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I learned this shortly after I bought two of them. Auto-MDIX is not a feature of the 2950. My lesson learned was to do my research before buying.

HA! I was not the only one. I racked my brain trying to figure out how to configure it. Good thing i found a few posts online indicating they don't have that feature.
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    2960's does though just to add lol...
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2960's does though just to add lol...

Yes, which made for a lot of fun in the CNA classroom which was equipped with an equal mix of 2950's and 2960's. icon_cheers.gif