Options

Why do people keep telling me that CCNA takes 4 exams?

feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
I mean I already passed the two exams and got my cert, but as I meet people studying networking, it's been a second person that says CCNA is 4 exams. And that person was really confident and he said he was teaching that stuff too. I've kept telling people that it is 2 exams or 1 exam that covers the 2 exams, but those people keep insisting. Why is that?

Comments

• Options
    binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
    4 exams for the CCNA Network Academy. 1 per class. CCNA Network Academy is offered at community and state colleges. I think its not worth it. After passing each class you still need to take the actual CCNA exam.

Better off self-studying.
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
    Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
    Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
    Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets
  • Options
    feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah, alright. So, I'm not missing on something by not having those 4 exams then? To tell the truth, I was actually quite angry with that guy because he was talking like I didn't **** just because I was saying it was two exams. Well, if they want to waste their time and money studying for something that can be studied easily on your own, that's their choice.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My question is, are they under the impression that CCNA is achieved by passing the 4 academy exams? Following their logic they would argue that 6 exams are required, not 4.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    My question is, are they under the impression that CCNA is achieved by passing the 4 academy exams? Following their logic they would argue that 6 exams are required, not 4.

I achieved it in 5. icon_cool.gif
    feng.lian wrote: »
    Well, if they want to waste their time and money studying for something that can be studied easily on your own, that's their choice.

My degree is a waste of time and money? Interesting.
  • Options
    VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I achieved it in 5. icon_cool.gif

My degree is a waste of time and money? Interesting.

Well if your goal is to get the CCNA then the Academy course is useless. I'm trying to get certified on my own so I can get this decent paying job in my company. At the same time I'm going to an actual university to get my BS.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well if your goal is to get the CCNA then the Academy course is useless. I'm trying to get certified on my own so I can get this decent paying job in my company. At the same time I'm going to an actual university to get my BS.

When I took the CNA courses, there were only 2 people in the class (out of 20) who weren't taking them as part of a degree program, and they were both there on the company's dime. I don't think very many people take those classes simply for the CCNA, and I found the same to be true for the Windows Server classes.
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103

Shenanigans. The CCNA: Exploration is amazing. It's going to weigh heavily on who your instructor is and how much time you put into studying the material. The materiel bleeds deep into the CCNP.
  • Options
    VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    seekrit wrote: »
    Shenanigans. The CCNA: Exploration is amazing. It's going to weigh heavily on who your instructor is and how much time you put into studying the material. The materiel bleeds deep into the CCNP.

I have no doubt it teaches more than just reading a book and working on simulators. But its probably way way way cheaper just to do it all on your own.
  • Options
    fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took all 4 NetAcad classes and they were not a waste of money nor time. All the chapters cover a lot of information with videos, diagrams and such. I learned a lot from those classes and I also had access to real equipment. I worked my butt of on those classes and in the end, it payed off. I really learned the material and therefore passed both ICND1 and ICND2 on my first attempt. For me though, NetAcad courses provided me with an extra push for me to study. For those lacking the motivation, paying for it the way to go.
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Options
    jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    CCNP is 4 exams.
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Choosing to go or not with Cisco academy is a personal choice and those who self-studied their CCNA legitally deserve also much merit.

Personally, i had no experience in IT exept from home and i did a career start-over so i chose to enrolled in the best IT college in my province. I didn't knew anything about Cisco exept they were my linksys router manufacturer ;)

So having taken the Academy classes gave me solid bases of networking and i was able to nail the 802 exam on my first attempt 11 months later.
    (Wrote a little story about it here, 2 days ago, in "The game of AGE"...topic, but someone deleted that whole topic...)

However, for someone already in the industry, with some network experience ....hmm not sure it actually worth it! Probably better to self-study!

Actually, the 4 exams from the Academy program grant you only 1 thing and it's a 100 or 150$ voucher on the real exam if you passed all 4 exams with over 75%.
    It doesn't give you the CCNA certification. You have to sit the exam at a pearson vue test center.
    I do recommend the 640-802 for academy takers and 2 exams for self-studyers.
  • Options
    I recently graduated from ECPI College of Technology in Virginia Beach in Network Security, but I hadn't had a routing and switching class since 2009. Majority of what I did was self study from January until now. I took the CCNA just yesterday and came very close to passing it.

My goal now is to take the CCNA hopefully this coming Saturday if I can get another voucher from my school. I know I'll pass it this time around.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would say that the CNA is worthwhile for someone who hasnt/cant self study. For me, it didnt really help with anything that I was already learning in the CCNA self study curriculum. What it did do was give one the opportunity to get hands on experience, actually see the devices, the connections. Also it gives one the opportunity to ask questions from fellows and the instructor. This is something sorely missed in my CEH studies. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    feng.lian wrote: »
    I mean I already passed the two exams and got my cert, but as I meet people studying networking, it's been a second person that says CCNA is 4 exams.

Maybe they failed both exams once like I have. Then it's sitting 2x exams twice. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNP is 4 exams.

I only count 3 :)
    ROUTE, SWITCH, TSHOOT

But I guess there may be some CCNP Cisco Network Academy Students that still have access to the old 4 CCNP exams.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNP is 4 exams.

ccna
    2 exams or 1 composite exam

ccnp
    3 exams
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I guess Cisco changed the CCNP. I could have sworn when I went to a bookstore and saw the CCNP Cisco Press bundle, there were 4 books in the bundle.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Hmmmm, I guess Cisco changed the CCNP. I could have sworn when I went to a bookstore and saw the CCNP Cisco Press bundle, there were 4 books in the bundle.

That version was retired almost a year ago now. (BCMSN, BCSI, ISCW, ONT)

Most likely bookstores are oblivious to this and never sold the old set.. They still contain some good material.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ccnaomkar wrote: »
    ccna
    2 exams or 1 composite exam

ccnp
    3 exams

So 1 (CCNA) + 3 (Route, Switch, TShoot) = 4 for CCNP! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Looks like I'll be trying to get the new set of books for the CCNP then.

I was really hoping to pass CCNA on my first try because my school is getting ready to have a CCNP Cisco Academy class start soon but it looks like I'm going to have to wait to be able to do it. If I can take the CCNA this coming Saturday, I know I'll pass it this time.

Anyone here took the CCNA multiple times before finally passing it?
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the guy talked about old ccnp exams i.e 4 exams +ccna

then it is 5 which is now retired icon_lol.gif
    MickQ wrote: »
    So 1 (CCNA) + 3 (Route, Switch, TShoot) = 4 for CCNP! icon_lol.gif

ya ur correct

for today ccnp=ccna+route+switch+tshoot(minimum 4)icon_lol.gif