Options

Failed 640 today

snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
I failed the exam with a score of 617. I did terrible on certificates.... back to the drawing board.

On another note, I was annoyed by people who were obviously using ****. Two different people came in and finished in about 30 mins or less. WTF???

Comments

• Options
    marcelsmarcels Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you didn't pass this time.

You didn't miss the mark by much and its sucks to just miss out.

I found certificates difficult too and boring! It was a real effort for me to get that topic right in my head.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Firstly sorry to hear you failed. I'm in the same boat as you guys I find Certificates tough to understand and they are so freaking boring. This is probably why I haven't bothered taking the exam yet.

617 is not a terrible score but its not passing, The one good thing is no you know your weakness on the exam and can study in that one area until you feel confident.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    bout2kbout2k Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you failed the exam. I am sure that you will pass on your next attempt.

Some people finish exams really fast based on knowing the material inside and out. I happen to be one of those people. Please do not classify all people who complete exams very fast as people who use braindumps...
    What happens in the cloud, stays in the cloud! - Jeremy Cioara
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I failed the exam with a score of 617. I did terrible on certificates.... back to the drawing board.

On another note, I was annoyed by people who were obviously using ****. Two different people came in and finished in about 30 mins or less. WTF???

I haven't done a MS test yet so I can't say how long it takes to read the questions etc. However in a simple multiple choice environment some people can fly through them. Just based on the fact that someone tests fast does not mean they've dumped the test.

On your score, you did just miss it. Hit up your weak areas, certificates etc. and go back and kill it. Good luck!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224

Sorry to hear about your score. As others have said, you know your area of weakness, so hit that area hard. Re-read whatever you're using for study materials, then hit technet and do a search on certificates. Read everything you can find, then put some labs together. I don't remember certificates in Windows 2000, but the certificate related MMC snap-ins haven't changed much at all between server 2003 and server 2008 so don't discount any certificate articles you find from the 2003 product family.

I've never used a **** and I've never taken the full time allotted for any exam, but some of that comes with experience (I got my original MCSE on NT4 a long time ago). Last year, my wife was required to take the Security+ exam for her work. After finishing, we believe she passed it by one question and the timer ran out on the exam as she was reviewing. Two weeks later, using the book she'd had (and no discussion of any questions she'd seen), I sat for it. We think I missed no more than two questions, and I had not only completed the exam, I also did a quick scan review of all the questions I'd been presented in less than 45 minutes. The major difference was that her work required she take the exam even though she isn't really IT and I've been working with servers and network protocols for over a decade. Hands-on experience (and labs to fill in gaps where a product or feature isn't being used on a regular basis) will beat reading a book everytime.

sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Don't beat yourself up about the topic of certificates, I found it to be a tough topic to learn when I was studying for the MCITP:EA exams.

I'm sure you'll get there next time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback. I am hoping to take the exam in 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I failed the exam with a score of 617.

You don't truly fail unless you give up.
    I did terrible on certificates.... back to the drawing board.
    Now, you know what you need to work on, so just tighten up on that, and you'll be good go to!

I must disagree here.

I usually finish my tests faster than most, because I read faster than most. I feel that I either know it, or do not know it. If I do not know it, the best I can do is eliminate choices, then choose appropriately.

Consider if you sat there on questions after you read them, trying to decide on an answer, or what?

Also, taking Microsoft tests is a bit of an art form. This is how I would recommend doing it.

1. Read the answer choices first (they're usually a lot shorter than the question)

2. Look for the question mark, and read that sentence. Often, you can find the answer, based upon the question.

3. As necessary, read more of the question or scenario, as required, to narrow down the answer.

I find that Microsoft likes to give you a lot of EXTRA information on questions, for the sole purpose of throwing you off, so that you can possibly choose the wrong answer.

If you take the reverse approach, of looking at answers, then looking at the question, then looking for anything else you might need, you can work through the tests quite rapidly.

Also, if it ever gets down to two choices, and one is a Microsoft technology, and the other is not, and you're not sure which to choose, then choose the Microsoft technology.

I hope these tips help you next time on the test.

Also, you know that you're weak on certificates, so really hammer those points home, and try it again!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First of all I wish you best of luck on the next go ahead. I know what it's like to fail a test (Network+, many moons ago) and can tell you that the second shot gets better. I have no doubt you'll pass it next time.

Second, I just got to the chapter in this Sybex 70-640, 70-642, 70-643 2008 R2 guide (Chapter 6) that discusses AD Server Roles (including Certificate Services) CRLs, and the like were discussed heavy in Security+, which I see you do not have (if you do, it's not listed). I don't know if that matters though, but I am seeing a lot of overlap between some items in Security+ and the 70-640. My thanks to you, because I will not take this section lightly. (I won't be taking any of them lightly, but specifically this section...)

After I'm done with the first part of the guide, I will be reading what uCertify deems me weak on in the Claymoore thread, where the Certificate Services are discussed. Much has not changed since 2009, so that thread is still valuable.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42880-70-640-resources.html

I have no doubt you will pass again. I have to stress though that I was close to taking this exam a bit lightly until I saw your thread. I need to make sure I bring my A-game come test day. :)
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Certs are a pain. At least you'll have a good idea of where you need to brush up on.

I concur with Instant000. I'm one of those who could finish in about 30 minutes. I did near to that on a couple of the exams.
    Once you do the exams a few times, you'll get used to seeing the real question being asked of you.
    As for the testlets, they're a real pain!
  • Options
    I am sorry for the rant on people finishing fast. I did not know that people can actually finish that quick. I assumed they were using **** and realize I very well could be wrong about that. Thanks for all the positive thoughts and tips!