Options

Which degree???

wilton7wilton7 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone!

I have a question for the many experienced IT proffessionals on this board.

I am currently enrolled at Southern Illinois University in the Information Management Systems program. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps, 3 of which I worked at a helpdesk. I am planning on getting as many certifications that I can while in college(currently working on A+ in my free time).

The degree that I mentioned I was working on is through the business college and involves alot of business core classes and a few Management classes, some of which are focused toward the IT field.

My goal after college is to put myself in the position to work myself up to a network admin. postition.

Should I a) stick with my current degree, or b) switch to a major that is more focused on IT, like an Information Systems degree.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank You!! :)

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I'm currently in a similar program and plan to graduate early next year. As for switching...I suppose it just depends. The one downside to these degrees IS the business classes. Unless you like business, they are simply boring. However, the degree is still valuable.

Unless you go to a technical school, or find a Computer Science degree, finding anything with more IT classes and less of anything else is difficult. Most traditional degrees mix business/IT half and half.