Options

70-646, To take or not to take?

StridenteStridente Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been taking classes for 640, 642, 646, 643, 647, and the next week I will start having 680.
I passed 640 and 642, and the question is...
Is it necessary to take the 646 exam or completing MCITP EA includes skills for that exam?
If so, I will save a take

icon_neutral.gif

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Stridente wrote: »
    I've been taking classes for 640, 642, 646, 643, 647, and the next week I will start having 680.
    I passed 640 and 642, and the question is...
    Is it necessary to take the 646 exam or completing MCITP EA includes skills for that exam?
    If so, I will save a take

icon_neutral.gif

You don't *have* to take the 646 exam and many people don't.

HOWEVER (pero....), if you are going to obtain the EA, it can be looked at as one additional exam to obtain one more MS Professional level cert (the MCITP:SA).

I personally plan on taking the 646 as it's a free exam for me as I'm a university student (dreamspark) and I have seen others in the same degree track as I am on go for the 646. Saying one is a SA and EA will not hurt a resume/CV in my opinion.

So, to answer your question, if you are going for the EA, you do not have to take the 646...however, it can't hurt either since it's one additional test.
  • Options
    Thanks erpadmin
    Sure it can't hurt anything but the pocket.
    Each take in Spain costs 140€ and July 1st price will be incremented for everybody who takes a Microsoft exam.
    If I finally decide not to take the 646, the next take will be the 643.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks erpadmin
    Sure it can't hurt anything but the pocket.
    Each take in Spain costs 140€ and July 1st price will be incremented for everybody who takes a Microsoft exam.
    If I finally decide not to take the 646, the next take will be the 643.

Dude, I can relate. There are states in the US where $125-$150 is a month of groceries. On the other side of that, $125-$150 is two-three days worth of lunch in certain metro areas.

Point is, cost is relative.

Answer it like this...if price wasn't an issue, then would you take the exam? You and I both know the answer to that would be yes, based on earlier points. That's when cost becomes irrelevant.
  • Options
    Yes, just 1 take costs nothing, but I have intention to taking at least 646, 643, 647, 680, 662, 432, 450, that means 7 more
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, just 1 take costs nothing, but I have intention to taking at least 646, 643, 647, 680, 662, 432, 450, that means 7 more

Have you looked at the second shots? Cheaper for a bunch of exams and you get a second go at it for free, if you fail the first time.
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found Server Administrator title to be more recognized than Enterprise administrator. That's because in non-English speaking country not everyone knows what Enterprise means, but definitely everyone knows what Server means. That was main reason for taking 646. In other hand - it's only one exam extra and not very hard one. Downside - extra cost, but I think it's worth it.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    MickQ wrote: »
    Have you looked at the second shots? Cheaper for a bunch of exams and you get a second go at it for free, if you fail the first time.

The exams that start with 72- are the same that exams start with 70- but include second shot, I took 72-640 & 72-642 in case of fail I have a second chance.
    icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    I'm planning on taking the 646 next. My thought it this - it's quicker to complete the 646 than the 643 and 647. That way, I can update my resume with MCITP that much sooner. If you already have a decent admin job, then maybe that's not your concern.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're stiil planning to get the 646 don't take it lightly. I've heard it is a really tough exam and also that it covers a lot of material from the 70-643 (which is not a prerequisite exam).
    I was considerring taking the 646 after I got my MCITP:EA recently but I broke out my Cisco books and caught the Cisco bug for now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    The time is important too, if I take the 646 that means at least a more month to have the EA.
    I know guys who took 646 and it was easy but it's true that there's a lot of material of 643.
    I think that the next exam I will take... 643
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good call. At least that way you've covered some of the IIS and virtualisation material which you might see on the 646.