Sharepoint Foundation 2010 Issue

cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
I hope someone here might be a Sharepoint Guru and might know what is going on. I've had a small instance running for about 4-5 months now with minor issues that were worked out as they came up. Before I file a ticket with MSFT, I figured I'd give it a shot here.

Pertinent Info:

Platform: HyperV-VM running Windows 2008 R2 DCE and Sharepoint Foundation 2010.

Just a basic, normal installation. Nothing fancy.

I have multiple Sharepoint spaces within the default instance with Nav menus. Works great.

Images embedded within those sites do not render. They are shown with a Red "X". Those images are rendered correctly in IE7, Firefox and Chrome, but not in IE8,IE9.

On the IE8 & 9 browsers, if I copy & paste the image link directly, the image is not displayed, and I am prompted to download the image. if I do so, it will open from my machine and render with the default photo viewing application. Any ideas?
“Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cablegod wrote: »
    I hope someone here might be a Sharepoint Guru and might know what is going on. I've had a small instance running for about 4-5 months now with minor issues that were worked out as they came up. Before I file a ticket with MSFT, I figured I'd give it a shot here.

Pertinent Info:

Platform: HyperV-VM running Windows 2008 R2 DCE and Sharepoint Foundation 2010.

Just a basic, normal installation. Nothing fancy.

I have multiple Sharepoint spaces within the default instance with Nav menus. Works great.

Images embedded within those sites do not render. They are shown with a Red "X". Those images are rendered correctly in IE7, Firefox and Chrome, but not in IE8,IE9.

On the IE8 & 9 browsers, if I copy & paste the image link directly, the image is not displayed, and I am prompted to download the image. if I do so, it will open from my machine and render with the default photo viewing application. Any ideas?

Are your SharePoint sites in the Trusted sites in IE? If not strange issues can sometimes occur. We see odd little things like this resolved by doing this simple step all the time here.
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Thanks Robert. I did add it to the trusted sites listing, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
    Thanks Robert. I did add it to the trusted sites listing, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Ok, in that case let's get busy....

Are these custom images? If so what is the file type? Can you post a screen shot? What happens if you open, save as a different file type and reupload under a different file name?

Have you seen this post? http://chanakyajayabalan.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/images-not-dispalying-in-sharepoint-sites-file-not-found-error/
    Yep. I saw that result. There seems to be no images folder in "14 hive" and it prompts to download the image when I paste the address of the image in directly, but there isn't more info in that post as to the reason for that.
    How are they being displayed and what is the extension?
    They are showing up as a red "x", like the link is broken. They have the standard .jpg extension.
    Are these CYMK encoded?
    They are showing up as a red "x", like the link is broken. They have the standard .jpg extension.

I mean are they being displayed via a webpart? If so which one?

Is this all instances of IE8/9 on your network or just test environment? Have you tried reseting IE back to default?
    I'm not sure Robert, I'll have to check. Thanks for the pointer. I'll let you know.