G2x Android Phone- Tips?

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
Alright. I'm a tech guy. I love computers. I love games. I love networking. I love cables, the smell of plastic, etc.

SO I thought I'd become official and get a 200$ on contract Dual Core phone from T-Mobile.

My battery without any rooting, power management, etc. lasts 15-16 hours. All I do is kill apps when my screen shuts off with that little Auto Task Killer... thing.

So.

What are your recommendations after rooting (or before) a phone of this caliber?

My main concern is this battery. I'd like to;

~Underclock to 600-650Mhz a core
~Reduct memory and CPU usage
~Of course, root the phone
~Use cool, fun, and also useful applications on this to justify the money spent by increasing productivity.

And let the waves rip in! icon_twisted.gif
:twisted:

Comments

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    darkerz wrote: »
    What are your recommendations after rooting (or before) a phone of this caliber?

Have a good enough credit card that you can buy a second if you "brick" the unit?

I can't imagine wanting to tweak anything "of this caliber". It should be nice enough out the gate if you're going to spend that kind of money on it. I dig Android lately, but anything over $100 should be given some serious thought to if you're going to have to mess with it. You start losing money VERY quickly after $100 if something gets messed up, even if it's a minor physical repair like a power button. And definitely, anything Android over $250, you're halfway to an iPad-- which is what you should have bought in order to avoid having to spend the value of your time pounding on it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    I have the G2x, and I think it's cool...for now. I'm rooted, custom recovery, and waiting on a stable rom. Getting 15-16 hours on a smartphone seems unreal unless you don't use it much. The odds of bricking your phone are slim to none as long as you have a proper recovery installed. All phones have a warranty so I wouldn't worry about a power button missing. I'm not sure how an iPad replaces a mobile phone.

Android is meant to be "tweaked". That is its purpose of being open-source (unlike apple). I personally think it's boring to have the same experience year after year.

For the OP, I highly doubt you'll get 15 - 16 hours of battery life so if that is an absolute must I can not recommend this phone to you. I think 10 - 12 is more realistic assuming moderate use.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have an unrooted TMobile MyTouch, and get 10-14 hours battery life per charge. What was recommended to me was:

Turn display down to absolute minimum
    Turn off WiFi and GPS if not in use
    Turn off Bluetooth if not in use
    Disable onscreen animations

You can get these tips and others from Android Nation - Android Forums

TMobile was informing folks during their last big in store sale that rooting the phone voids warranty immediately. As others have suggested, have a good restore ready just in case.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would definitely keep an eye on this forum: G2x General - xda-developers

I've got one of these phones, upgraded from the original G1, and I'm absolutely loving it. The bluetooth keeps locking up on me though which is a pain. Have to toggle it to get it to reconnect. I'm just waiting for Cyanogenmod to come out with a stable rom for this. There are some battery calibration apps on the market that will helps after you've rooted. I would also definitely nvflash a custom recovery onto it as you'll need to use it every now and then.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/