Deployed Office 2010? Reward for information! Email

crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
So yesterday I received an email from Microsoft titled Deployed Office 2010? Reward for information! with a small survey, and the "grand prize" for the first 30 respondents was an XBOX 360 w/Kinect bundle. So I filled it out as fast as I could, hit "Claim my rewards", and the next page came up saying Congratulations, I was one of the first 30 respondents! So of course I am hooting and hollering at my coworker saying I won, and proceeded to fill out my personal information, ie, name, address, etc, and select the 360 as a prize if I wanted it.

I then submitted my personal information, and received an email stating I was one of the first 250 to respond. Huh? It said I was one of the first 30... So fire off an email to and get a response back today stating I was 41/30, as apparently the survey doesn't "submit" fully until you enter your personal information!!!! The website was very misleading as it allowed me to choose the 360 as a prize, stated clearly I was one of the first 30, but yet I didn't win.

/rant off

They did email me back saying they would send me a "consolation prize" that will be shipped separately and is something else beyond the first 250 respondent prizes, though she did very clearly state "it isn't a 360" lol.
MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration

Comments

• Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    How did you verify it was M$? It sounds much like a phishing attempt.....
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably was some sort of scam, being deceitful and all.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    How did you verify it was M$? It sounds much like a phishing attempt.....

Email was from standard MS email address I receive things from. Also SSL was valid and registered to MS. Plus you can whois the url and it belongs to MS (granted I didn't do whois the url until now :))
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Probably was some sort of scam, being deceitful and all.

It does sound like a scam, but, as I just posted in another reply, I did verify the SSL before I submitted anything, which I do when a site asks for personal info.