A+ or Microsoft to get more bang for my buck/time

elosogrande7076elosogrande7076 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone...I have been reading the forums for a while but finally decided to sign up. I just turned 30 and trying to get myself into in actually IT job working with . I pretty much taught myself computers and do some repair/upgrade work for friends and family. i have my Bachelors and no certs. My current and past jobs have been customer serviced based (little to no technology based or proprietary systems.)

I have been looking at at different things in IT and really am interested in systems and helping people. I was thinking about trying to get a jr. systems admin jobs. I will be honest to say that tho Im not thrilled at my current job i blessed to have one making decent money.

I have been debating on whether to get A+ or start with a Microsoft cert. On one hand, I see people are saying that its not what as asked about anymore and that by getting another cert, pretty much shows that you have that A+ knowledge. On the other hand, I see people saying that no matter what level they are that cert is still asked about or sought out.

With a thread I just read about the MS certs going up in price, I was leaning to getting the MCITP cert (but then I dont know which version to get Windows Client, Enterprise Client SA or EA, etc). I would hate to pay the 400 for the A+ and then start working on MS certs when it would help me get a job faster by going the MS cert route first.

Any help you can give I greatly appreciate. I love working with people and computers and would like to start my career pat. THanks

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I recently got my MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 certification and it seems to be pulling it's weight more than an A+ would.

I've applied at places that say they require an A+ and they don't seem to mind that I have a MCITP instead.

If you know most of the stuff that an A+ would teach you then I'd say skip it. Otherwise there is a lot of useful knowledge in there and you'll have a hard time getting an IT job.

Ultimately it's the knowledge that gets you the job. If you're already comfortable with the A+ material then move on, learn something new and get a MCITP.
  • SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are even asking this question (its a good question don't get me wrong) I would advise you would probably go for the A+. It's a good, solid foundation cert and many jobs do require it (which the other poster mentioned) and it can lay a good foundation for your IT career. Good luck to you!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA certs are a great path to help you get started by building a solid foundation for your IT career but Microsoft/Cisco certs will be better for return on investment. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CompTIA certs are a great path to help you get started by building a solid foundation for your IT career but Microsoft/Cisco certs will be better for return on investment. icon_cool.gif

+1

I couldn't agree more.

I would hit A+ and Security + and then move on if I was advising someone. Right there that will set you back over 500 dollars in testing alone. That's a lot of money. Now obviously there are always one off situations where other certifications would be good.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sound advice from N2IT. If you have the money, go for them - it's a quick step up.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    If you are new or have relatively little experience and/or knowledge in I.T.
    I'd say go for full A+
    It will give you all the basics you need to then move on forward.

I personally wouldnt want to be able to configure objects and Domains and then someone pops a basic question like, where do I configure my IP address on my comp and then Jump back and be OMFG I DONT KNOW!

I dont know if you get what I'm trying to say...

If you have a good basics I say skip A+ and go for w/e path you want. MS/cisco/etc
    meh
  • raptur2000raptur2000 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say A+ first, it's easy and is pretty much the 1st cert any IT professional gets. From there if you want to do more desktop support for windows, go the MS route. If you want to do more networking go the Network+ route.