Options

SAN Engineering

So I am interested in branching out to SAN as it is growing and there is a huge market for it in the area I live in.
But I have no idea which path to pursue and what certs to go after that actually have self study material out there. I have read up on SNIA a bit but would like some folks here to advise me.

Thanks again. :)
Eating humble pie.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Try to get a job in servers administration and slowly get into SAN & backups. There's no direct shortcut for this, but it's a very rewarding career.

So I am interested in branching out to SAN as it is growing and there is a huge market for it in the area I live in.
    But I have no idea which path to pursue and what certs to go after that actually have self study material out there. I have read up on SNIA a bit but would like some folks here to advise me.

Thanks again. :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Try to get a job in servers administration and slowly get into SAN & backups. There's no direct shortcut for this, but it's a very rewarding career.

+10

No one is going to hand you the keys of something critical without substantial experience to back you up. You'll need to show your mettle and work your way up there. Get an MCSA or dive into the MCITP track and try to get a server gig. You'll get there if you have the drive and perseverance.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    You can also try Storage vendors & business partners, they all have junior level support positions where you can learn, and they have nice training programs for support staff.

Search for EMC partners, Hitachi partners, Brocade partners, IBM, Oracle(Sun/StorageTek), NetApp, HP,...etc.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 to everything UnixGuy said.

You sort of have to have a foundation of OS knowledge to be effective as a SAN admin, as well as entry level networking. No shortcuts... you'll probably have to find a job in server or network ops, or work for a partner doing server stuff, and work your way into storage from there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    That is great advice guys.

What certs should I start looking into? I am trying to diversify from networking into Systems and would love to get into SANs... After my CCNP and CCDP, I will be going after MCITP... just would like to know what certs to pursue so I can start now.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    That is great advice guys.

What certs should I start looking into? I am trying to diversify from networking into Systems and would love to get into SANs... After my CCNP and CCDP, I will be going after MCITP... just would like to know what certs to pursue so I can start now.

Any cert would be helpful. Server+ & SNIA SCSP are both entry level conceptual certs..MCITP is good, Linux+ is good...However, try to focus on getting a job where you deal with backups, and little bit of Storage. you can do certs later. Those certs help in landing you a support role.

• Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    +1 to everything UnixGuy said.

You sort of have to have a foundation of OS knowledge to be effective as a SAN admin, as well as entry level networking. No shortcuts... you'll probably have to find a job in server or network ops, or work for a partner doing server stuff, and work your way into storage from there.
    So if I have my CCENT (hopefully by this afternoon); would I have legit long shot of getting into an entry-level position at one of the data centers here in San Antonio (Microsoft, Methodist, Stream, etc.)?
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.