Options

CompTIA advanced Security certificate beta date changed

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, so please feel free to move it. Deadline to try the CASP for free is now May 21st
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Security experts needed! Deadline extended until May 21st.[/FONT]CompTIAlogo.pngspacer-white.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Get certified as a CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) — for free![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We have extended the testing deadline for the beta exam. The deadline for taking this exam — at no charge — is now Saturday May 21st. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The target participant is a technical security practitioner with 10 years of experience in IT, and at least 5 years of hands-on information security design and implementation experience at the enterprise level.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This new exam beta is offered only at select Pearson VUE testing centers. If you are close to a participating center, please review the target audience for the new certification, and consider whether you qualify. In order for CompTIA to get useful beta statistics, it is important that those who take the exam are at the experience level that we're targeting.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The exam is free, but will only be available for the first 400 candidates. This is a first come, first served opportunity. After 400 people have taken the exam, no more beta exams will be delivered. (Those who have registered but have not yet taken the exam will be notified by VUE if the exam has been closed.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]***Results from the exam (pass/fail) will not be available until the live exam launches, sometime in the fourth quarter of 2011. Your results will be sent to you directly at that time, no exceptions.***[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you fit the profile of the target candidate for the CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner, and you are able to travel to one of the confirmed VUE testing centers, we do hope you will take the exam. The CompTIA exam code for the CASP beta, for registration purposes, is CA1-001.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Visit www.pearsonvue.com/comptia/ to enter your zip code, locate your chosen center (remember, choose one from this list), and schedule the test. If you don't have a VUE account, follow the steps to set one up before you register. When you are asked to pay for the exam, enter the discount code [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][PM me if you are interested][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] to register at no charge. Please do not distribute this code to others, unless they are interested colleagues whose work role and experience fit CompTIA's criteria for the target candidate.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please go to support.comptia.org if you have questions, or dial 630-678-8300, option 5, for questions that are not answered on the support site. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you, and best wishes,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Director, Product Management, CompTIA Security+ and CASP[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]spacer-white_5x5.gif[/FONT]
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea i got it and realized its only a few testing centers none near me
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yea i got it and realized its only a few testing centers none near me
    Same here so I'm skipping it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Same here so I'm skipping it.

Me too. Mid West is way under represented. One place in Illinois, compared to 19 places in Virgina plus many others out on the coast.

I'd probably skip it anyway though. 95% chance of failing doesn't make sense to take one of the 400 spots.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Me too. Mid West is way under represented. One place in Illinois, compared to 19 places in Virgina plus many others out on the coast.
    Where did you find in Illinois to take it? The place on the list that was in the e-mail doesn't actually have the test. When I tried to register for it, the closest place that had a date available was Ohio. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Where did you find in Illinois to take it? The place on the list that was in the e-mail doesn't actually have the test. When I tried to register for it, the closest place that had a date available was Ohio. icon_sad.gif

Ah, I just saw Illinois in the list. Silly me for thinking that if a center was listed that it would actually offer the test. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Ah, I just saw Illinois in the list. Silly me for thinking that if a center was listed that it would actually offer the test. icon_lol.gif

Yeah that's what really annoyed me. Rock Valley is on the list for IL, and that's a 30 minute drive for me, easily doable. Then I try to register and find that I'd have to drive 400 miles to Ohio, no thanks.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They added an Ohio testing center near me. Maybe I can do it now.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    None of the overseas testing centers are doing it either.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to go to Queens, NY to take mine...I didn't know I had the email until I saw another user post his...(with the beta code.... icon_rolleyes.gif ) Only thing that sucked was registering with VUE....

Let's see how it goes....good luck to all that's taking it...I'm just gonna go in and see what I know, don't know. :)

BTW, if you are having problems registering for a testing center near you, you will have to do what I did: CALL VUE. Thirty minutes out of my life was spent getting this test registered in QUEENS! LOL...but I could not do it online...no matter what I did.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took it... It was a lot tougher than I expected it to be and honestly I feel more like I failed it than I did when I took my CISSP.

Its tough going into an exam blind. The list they give really doesnt give much insight into what to expect. I dont think I had a single PKI type question on the entire 92 questions and thats just 1 example of the type of stuff that I expected to have there and the wasnt.

Not your typical Comptia exam either where 2 are possible and 2 are definitely wrong. On more than a few questions all 4 answers were just as good and just as plausible and it really depended on where you stood in the company hierarchy (i.e. The CIO, COO, SE or SA) on how you answered. Since it really hasnt been made clear who this exam is being marketed to its kind of hard to decide which is the right way to go (the knee jerk the C-levels are always right reaction definitely doesnt fly in this exam either).
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    apr911 wrote: »
    I took it... It was a lot tougher than I expected it to be and honestly I feel more like I failed it than I did when I took my CISSP.

Its tough going into an exam blind. The list they give really doesnt give much insight into what to expect. I dont think I had a single PKI type question on the entire 92 questions and thats just 1 example of the type of stuff that I expected to have there and the wasnt.

Not your typical Comptia exam either where 2 are possible and 2 are definitely wrong. On more than a few questions all 4 answers were just as good and just as plausible and it really depended on where you stood in the company hierarchy (i.e. The CIO, COO, SE or SA) on how you answered. Since it really hasnt been made clear who this exam is being marketed to its kind of hard to decide which is the right way to go (the knee jerk the C-levels are always right reaction definitely doesnt fly in this exam either).

Thanks for the review. I'm currently working through the SSCP book while on break from college. Hopefully it will help.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    None of the overseas testing centers are doing it either.

Disappointed about that, aren't we good enough icon_rolleyes.gif

-Ken
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, so please feel free to move it. Deadline to try the CASP for free is now May 21st

I’m confused do you need to meet these requirements to take the exam?

From Comptia "The target participant is a technical security practitioner with 10 years of experience in IT, and at least 5 years of hands-on information security design and implementation experience at the enterprise level."
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    I believe they targeted the beta audience by choosing people who have had a CompTIA cert for at least 2 years, that is what I heard before this came out.

@NetworkingStudent that is just a broad targeting advertisement, we call it "Brochuring." I am sure that later this year they will release the actual requirements in the 4th quarter.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got the same email, and I have only had Security+ since Sept 2010
  • Options
    Good to know thanks.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    Disappointed about that, aren't we good enough icon_rolleyes.gif

-Ken

The Problem is Comptia most of the times. they dont see the world outside US and CAN Region
    icon_wink.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yay Dublin! Oh, Georgia. Why the hell do I have to go to Eastern Europe for thi.... Georgia, USA? /rant
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    I’m confused do you need to meet these requirements to take the exam?

From Comptia "The target participant is a technical security practitioner with 10 years of experience in IT, and at least 5 years of hands-on information security design and implementation experience at the enterprise level."

I concur, what exactly is the aim of this qualification, if you've got that much experience already or even anything anywhere near that, then why would you want a CompTia cert which is synonymous with entry level I.T?
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They're probably trying to expand their portfolio, can't do it much more at the lower levels and try to remain relevant to those who are highly skilled (and have them pay to retain the certs).
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    which is the problem. I have my doubts that this will catch on. In fact, I would likely encurage individuals not to take this for that reason. (And theres no need for another CISSP)
  • Options
    i could see this as a good step between sec+ and cissp, and its also easier to go to a testing site than travel for something like the sscp

in no way would it replace the cissp
  • Options
    Only if it truly is a technical exam based on implementation of security technologies.

If it had questions on:

The configuration and maintenance off security devices: IDS/IPS, Routers,switches(Vlans), firewalls.

Proper hardening of Operating Systems.

Patch management technologies.

Vulnerability scanning and Penetration testing.

ect.

If we can get an exam that does this, then I will gladly endorse it.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i could see this as a good step between sec+ and cissp, and its also easier to go to a testing site than travel for something like the sscp

in no way would it replace the cissp

Why....?
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why....?

Because the CISSP is not a technical cert, while this one advertises itself as such. Beyond that, the CISSP is so entrenched that it will take several years for any other cert to come close to knocking it off its golden perch in the HR dept., especially a brand new cert.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Only if it truly is a technical exam based on implementation of security technologies.

If it had questions on:

The configuration and maintenance off security devices: IDS/IPS, Routers,switches(Vlans), firewalls.

Proper hardening of Operating Systems.

Patch management technologies.

Vulnerability scanning and Penetration testing.

ect.

If we can get an exam that does this, then I will gladly endorse it.

Assuming that this cert is vendor neutral, I don't see that happening. I think the success of this cert is dependent upon whether the DoD adopts it under 8570 or not.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Assuming that this cert is vendor neutral, I don't see that happening. I think the success of this cert is dependent upon whether the DoD adopts it under 8570 or not.

CompTIA has never really been vendor neutral though. They just reserve the right to ask questions about any vendor they wish. Take the A+ for example. 99% Windows, but because of their vendor neutral claim they can throw in a linux question without going against their objectives.

But yes, the success really depends on what Hiring managers, HR, and of course the DoD feel about it.
  • Options
    the main issue is comptia has a stigma of being the "starter" or "foundation" cert people not the mid to high end liek cisco, microsoft, redhat

if they can get over that hurtle id look more at this cert
  • Options
    Would you really? I mean, What advantage would you give this over the CISSP?

"Its 8570 approved!": "So is CISSP, and its more recognized."

"Its not an entry level cert!": "Neither is the CISSP" (I am aware of the technical vs non technical argument, but I think that is going to work out as well as the SSCP has for the CISSP)

Ultimately, from my understanding, the reason the CISSP is so "difficult" is the breadth of the exam. I think that unless CompTIA has taken a page out of the ISC2 book in this respect, this will become the "easy CISSP". Might get you pass HR filters eventually, but the first question I would ask as a technical recruiter would be: "Have you taken the CISSP exam?" (insinuating that they failed the CISSP, and took the "easy way" out.)

To clarify: I want to emphasize that if you dont have both this AND the CISSP, my opinion is that an employer is going to wonder, "why doesnt he have the CISSP. He meets the "experience requirement", he is an "advanced security professional" Why didnt he take/pass the CISSP?"
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□