Options

Failed 70-680 twice.

30173017 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Brand new to this forum and website.

I successfully passed Network+ & Security+ without any hiccups.

I failed the 70-680 exam twice now, embarrassed to say it. The first time, I rushed it, second time thought I passed but got a worse score.

These fails were within two months, the most frustrating part was that I was thinking I would take this cert first before 70-640 because I am new to Microsoft certs and I would take this easier exam. This process has kind of turned me off to Microsoft certs. I work primarily in a Windows environment, but am debating what path to take next, as I am leaning towards wanting to avoid Microsoft exams.

I need advice on whether to pursue Project +, Linux+, CCNA, or focus my career direction more towards the Security end.

I am having trouble figuring out where I want to see my career path go. Any advise would be helpful.

icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome to TE :)

First, let me be the first to tell you that you shouldn't be embarrassed. The 70-680 is no joke, and a lot of people have failed it. My advice (random guy on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt) is to take stock of the resources you've been using to study for this exam, evaluate what isn't working, and make a new plan of attack. You have failed twice, so you know that what you're currently using/doing isn't working.

Without knowing what you're using, I can tell you that the Don Poulton book was a decent (not perfect) resource, along with the MS Press book. Also, the Darril Gibson 685/686 book is a good one for this exam, even though it doesn't focus specifically on the 680 objectives.

In the end, what I found from passing this exam is that a lot of the test questions revolved around having actual experience with the objectives. For example, most people go in knowing what you can use imagex and dism for, but if they haven't actually used them in a lab environment, they might be unfamiliar with some of the minutiae involved in actually using them. You can't just memorize some facts and pass, in my opinion. You need to have enough hands on with the objectives that the seemingly insignificant details related to the objectives are clear in your mind.

In any case, feel free to post back with how you've been going about studying for this, and I'm sure there are many members that can help you formulate a plan that will work for you. The main thing is to not give up or get discouraged. Forget the past fails, make a new plan, put it into pratice and pass it. Good luck.
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    My advice (random guy on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt) is to take stock of the resources you've been using to study for this exam, evaluate what isn't working, and make a new plan of attack. You have failed twice, so you know that what you're currently using/doing isn't working.

Excellent1's advice, like his user name, is excellent. I will just add...

If you want to give up and pursue Cisco certifications, CCNA is no cake walk though the available study material is much better than 70-680's.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you didn't pass. I would look over the exam objectives and lab through them. I also liked Darril's book for this exam, it covered some material that should help you.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you failed .

The 680 is indeed a tough nut to crack. Did you set up a lab and work out the various things you learnt.

Since as of now there is not a good reputable guide for this exam( as the MS Press has various errors ) i would advise you to setup a lab and work on it .

Good Luck ......
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    certhelp wrote: »

If you want to give up and pursue Cisco certifications, CCNA is no cake walk though the available study material is much better than 70-680's.

ya ccna is not cakewalk but lot of study material than 70-680

go for
    2 exam path
    1.ccent(icnd1)
    2.ccna(icnd2)
  • Options
    Mr. Excellent, you bring up a great point about the process I have been using to study. Dr. IT also you mentioned practicing the objectives. I had been mostly focusing on memorizing the theory instead of practicing the objectives.

I have been using the William Panek 70-680 Sybex book. I am now using cbtnuggets by James Conrad.

I was also using before Professor Messer's free videos more than anything for the last two fails.

If I go CCNA I will take the good advice and focus on splitting the exams. Cisco's exams I assume are similar in that they test based on practical experience?

Thanks again for the help!:D
  • Options
    TimelordTimelord Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry you didn't pass!! icon_sad.gif

You'll get it next time icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I am working towards my MCITP:EA and this is my last exam on that track. I have now taken around 10 Microsoft exams and from what I have seen the Server 2008 exams (and Win 7 exams from what I have heard) seem to get very picky with the questions. There were 2 questions on the 70-649 exam that were literally taken from one sentence in a 700 page book - and the questions covered something that was VERY obscure.

My advice if you want to retake this exam is to break it down into the 8 domains and study each domain while taking good notes. I've been doing that, and now I can just go back and review 8-10 pages of notes for each domain instead of trying to run back through the MS Press book to search for my highlighted stuff.

I also would recommend getting the Darril Gibson book. I plan on using it to supplement my studying.

The other people who gave you the lab advice are exactly right. You really need one computer with Windows 7 Ultimate and another with Server 2008 so you can play around with the deployment scenarios. Just reading the material probably won't be good enough for this test. I think you can get a free 120 day trial of Server 2008 - but the R2 version of Server 2008 requires x64 hardware...

You also should still (I think) be able to do the second shot, so you can take the test twice for $143.75. But I think you have to complete it by June 30th?

Don't get down about the fail - I failed 70-649 on my first attempt, but I was determined to pass it and I did on the second shot.

Good luck.
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    It's a real sleeper this exam, just because it's supposedly about a client OS that doesn't mean it's any easier than some of the server exams. It really helps to good knowledge of 2008 R2 as well.

I agree with the comments above about labbing stuff for this exam. It's critical and it's almost impossible to do to much of it.

Better luck next time, I'm confident you'll nail it then. icon_thumright.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    austin010507austin010507 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DON'T GIVE UP! You're THIS close from getting this one under your belt. Keep at it! You'll feel like a million bucks once you pass!
    As already mentioned, use a different studying method. I recommend TrainSignal and the MS Press Book. Watch all of the trainsignal videos, and read into features you need a better explaination on in the MS Press book. I personally really liked the test engine that came with the press book, and I recommend understanding all the answers to the questions. If you can do that, I can guarantee you'll pass! Good luck buddy!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support on this. I am glad I came to this forum. I am now focusing more on following hands on stuff. Also using the great reference of Scriptimus Ex Machina.

Has anyones used the Cbt nuggets videos from James Conrad to study?

:D
  • Options
    mcmahonshaunmcmahonshaun Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I've failed the 70-680 once and I've been notified that my exam centre is closed until further notice so my 2nd attempt is on hold.

I used the CBT Nuggets and found them to be okay. There are approx. 20 videos all range from 3/4 to an hour long. I found them tough to concentrate on for long periods of time. The lecturer does his best to keep things interesting but I found myself zoning out at points.

I also found that there were questions in the exam on subjects that weren't even mentioned in the videos.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Shaun
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    Hi Guys,

I've failed the 70-680 once and I've been notified that my exam centre is closed until further notice so my 2nd attempt is on hold.

I used the CBT Nuggets and found them to be okay. There are approx. 20 videos all range from 3/4 to an hour long. I found them tough to concentrate on for long periods of time. The lecturer does his best to keep things interesting but I found myself zoning out at points.

I also found that there were questions in the exam on subjects that weren't even mentioned in the videos.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Shaun

Yes, agreed a bit long and sometimes the guy goes off on an example to try to relate it to the subject on that takes way too long.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Options
    softwarescoutsoftwarescout Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can relate a bit. I decided to go for a M$ cert to enhance my resume and just basically LEARN more. Once I dove into the 70-680, I realized it was NOT as easy I had previously thought.
    I'm using CBT Nuggets videos, TrainSignal videos, M$ PRess book with great practice tests, Professor Messer, the M$ cert site with its links, and anything else I can find (Ie. the Scriptimus site you guys mentioned here! Thanks).

So as you could imagine, it's taking me a WHILE to get it but I'm in no rush. I personally think ALL the vids get a bit monotonus after a while but they're informative. I can say, however, that each video or book, etc presents totally different info. But, the one that has the BEST, most robust info is , by far, the M$ Press book. It takes forever to read through but it covers MANY bases that the videos just don't.

I've been taking the practice tests and not doign so well but as James Conrad says in his videos, it's not about getting a 100% on those practice tests. It's really about using the questions as a learning experience. For each question I fail, I make a flash card with rationale and read over them when I have time. I've also made my own Word doc with notes from each piece of material. So as I watched CBT, I made notes, then went back to same area in the doc to make more notes on a similar section when I was watchign a different video. So my notes are sort of an amalgum of all the various things I've learned about.

But in all, I'd have to say that the Flash cards are the BEST way for me personally to retain the "bits" of info about each thing. Some of them are so specific like certain DISM command-line parameters that I'll never remember them by reading an ebook or watching a video. But... failing a practice question , then writing down and looking at that one piece of info LATER has more STICKING POWER than anything else. Again, that's FOR ME.

Every person has his/her own way of remembering things. This is called "mnemonic device". So... I'm blowing all this smoke about my experience. Let's see what happens when I take it. Gonan schedule the exam this weekend!
    Wish me luck!
    softwarescout
  • Options
    killwarkillwar Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Too bad you failed, but i guess people can't surely take this exam and expect to pass it without appropriate experience and working knowledge on >>Windows 7<< not just because in your case you work in a windows environment.

there's so much effort MS has put in this exam that you really need to get a good grasp of this OS before going to take this exam that is why you are failing.