Options

Next Cert?

instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
Random posting, trying to decide what certs to get next, LOL ...

Vmware -
VCP410 (VCP)
-- I took the install/configure/manage course last summer, specifically so I had the flexibility to get this one sooner or later. This is a one-test cert, so it is kind of a no-brainer to get a cert in one test, versus two. I did a 3.5 to 4 migration at my last job, and there is a chance of doing a physical to virtual migration here in the coming months, if a project gets approved.

Citrix -
A18 (Basic Administration for XenApp6)
-- Installed, configured, administered Xen App 6 at last job. Also had a class on Xen App 4.5 Admin back in '07. Admin on PS 4.0 since '07.

Exchange 2010 -
70-662 (MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration)
70-663 (IT Pro: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010)
-- Worked with Exchange '03 since '06. Did migrations from 5.5 to 2003, fresh installs, and disaster recovery. May be upgrading to 2010 at work, so this is sensible to get. Also, pointless to get '07 right now. Current job involves messaging, so kind of a no-brainer to go after this one.

Server 2008 -
70-680 (Windows 7) or 70-681 (Deploying Windows 7 and Office 2010) or 70-620 (Vista) or 70-624 (Deploying/Maintaining Vista and Office 2007)
70-649 (Upgrade from 2003)
70-646 (IT Pro: Server Administrator)
70-647 (IT Pro: Enterprise Administrator)
-- Have the MCSE on '03. Worked with Windows Server since the NT days. Set up Server '08 for production at last job, due to an ERP migration project. Everything's going to '08, if it's not already there yet.

Virtualization (Book: Mastering Microsoft Virtualization)
70-659: (TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization)
70-669: (TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Desktop Virtualization)
70-693: (IT Pro: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator)
-- Have lots of exposure to Vmware, but do believe that cost-conscious smaller businesses that are pure Microsoft stack will want to just run the Microsoft stack. Makes sense to certify here, also.

One thing I want to do (ideally) is more certification with storage and networking (have experience with VMware on top of shared storage, working with FC (have not yet had iSCSI work. Also have Experience with PIX Firewall/VPN Concentrator/Wireless AP/Switching/Routing). The only issue with these is that in my current job, you get pigeon-holed into "roles" and my "role" is on the Messaging team. We have a network team, that only does networking. A storage team, that only does storage, etc.

For example, we had an instance where a drive was filling up, the SAN team expanded the LUN and extended the partition within Windows ... I touched nothing ... whereas at my last job, I would have done all of that myself. Or, another example, we had some servers not talking correctly. While we could troubleshoot with netmon and know exactly what the configuration issue was, we are powerless to fix it, and rely on others to do that. Overall, this is better, as due to the size of the organization, you can't risk having "cowboys" if you know what I mean.

I can say that specializing does indeed pay more than being a generalist, so there are rewards to specializing. (Besides, without a good base, specializing is difficult, as most specialties lean upon having a solid base.)
Currently Working: CCIE R&S
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Considering that you're in one section, and each does their own management... would that not mean that you'd switch over into another section or end up in management?
    I see that you have the ITIL, so that kind of leans in that direction.

You'd be updating your MCSE to MCITP going down that route.
    Personally, I'd go with the VCP first, then Exchange - especially since you're in the messaging group.
    Is there the possibility of you getting experienced and certified in one other role, and kind of "assisting" them when someone goes on holiday?
  • Options
    raptur2000raptur2000 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say update your MCSE to MCITP: EA then VCP.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always thought it would be pretty sweet to get a Citrix certification.
  • Options
    MickQ wrote: »
    Considering that you're in one section, and each does their own management... would that not mean that you'd switch over into another section or end up in management?
    I see that you have the ITIL, so that kind of leans in that direction.

Management is not possible in my current role. I was hired for a specific job. The main reason I took the job was to re-establish my security clearance, to enable other opportunities.
    You'd be updating your MCSE to MCITP going down that route.
    Personally, I'd go with the VCP first, then Exchange - especially since you're in the messaging group.

I'm looking at the VCP and the Messaging ones, as it'll be easy to study for those at work, without raising any suspicion, LOL. Apparently, the best way to study for the VCP is to just study the documentation on vmware's site, so I do that from time to time, even printed out a few "guides" but haven't studied that one too seriously yet.
    Is there the possibility of you getting experienced and certified in one other role, and kind of "assisting" them when someone goes on holiday?

I work for the military as a contractor, so I have little say in where I work. I do know the messaging section needs the most help. One section said they needed help, and I volunteered to help them, but nothing came of that, LOL. Also, the people in messaging have to be the most well-rounded, that is, know about storage, networking, authentication, certificates, firewalls, etc.
    raptur2000 wrote:
    I would say update your MCSE to MCITP: EA then VCP.

Yeah, cool idea. Considering doing that. 2003 is a bit long in the tooth, LOL.
    N2IT wrote:
    I always thought it would be pretty sweet to get a Citrix certification.

I get tons of Citrix job offers already. I guess it's a possibility.

====================

Currently: I am kind of involved in the CCNA forums on this site, so I started studying that. (Had it before, lapsed due to not renewing it ... quite foolish.)

During downtime at work, I'm perusing Microsoft technet and this site.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know around here there aren't any real Citrix experts despite XenApp being a pretty widely used technology. I just went through a huge rollout at work and the consultant wasn't the best and didn't really know all the ins and outs. I think there is a lot of potential there if you're interested. It's even bigger if you're familiar with VMware.

Everyone seems to be using VMware so it's always good to know that. I've you've already had the class then that one is a no-brainer. The pool of people who know VMware is bigger but if you're good there's a lot of demand. My experience and confidence with VMware really helped me "seal the deal" with this job.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    I know around here there aren't any real Citrix experts despite XenApp being a pretty widely used technology. I just went through a huge rollout at work and the consultant wasn't the best and didn't really know all the ins and outs. I think there is a lot of potential there if you're interested. It's even bigger if you're familiar with VMware.

Everyone seems to be using VMware so it's always good to know that. I've you've already had the class then that one is a no-brainer. The pool of people who know VMware is bigger but if you're good there's a lot of demand. My experience and confidence with VMware really helped me "seal the deal" with this job.

I'm not saying I know the ins and outs.

However, I will say that XA 6 is easy to install and support, compared to PS 4. When I was really heavy into it, I used to go to the Citrix support sites on a daily basis, plus Madden's site was pretty popular too for me.

Yeah, kind of studying Cisco now. More networking knowledge can only help someone currently working with messaging.