Glad I didn't get any further....

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I've been putting applications out at various places and I got called for an interview at a hospital. It worked out that I had another interview the same day, so I didn't have to take a half day on a different date. I arrived 15 minutes early and the recruiter was ten minutes late. No big deal, I understand that things happen. Initial interview went well, breezed through the question and I was told the next step was a 15 minute phone interview. I told the recruiter I was available that day and any day this week between 2 to 3 pm. Didn't get the call that day and the next day I hadn't heard anything. Now Wednesday my phone starts ringing at 10:30 am. It was the manager calling about the 15 minute interview. I work on a busy helpdesk so I couldn't answer the phone (plus can't justify a 15 minute call for a different job). An hour later I get a call from the recruiter, who leaves me a message saying that the manager had left several messages and I hadn't gotten back to her.

At 2 pm (my lunch time) I call the manager and leave a message. I apologize for not getting the messages (the first time she had call me was that day at 10:30 am) and that I was available to speak. I then called the recruiter to let her know I was still interested and she said ok (didn't seem like she wanted me to call her even though in her message she said too). At about 3:45 pm the manager calls back and leaves me a message saying she didn't realize that I had asked to be called between 2 and 3, but that time didn't work for her. Now, she didn't state a time to call her back. I ended up working late so couldn't call her at the end of the day

Thursday I was swamped and didn't get to take a lunch so that was shot. Today, I call at 1:30 pm and get the manager's voicemail. This time I asked if it was possible to schedule a time for the interview and left my email address as well as phone number. She calls me back at around 4 pm and proceeds to leave me a message. The message states that she is usually in meetings and it's just not possible to schedule a time for the phone interview. It's only 15 minutes and is just to talk about the position. She also stated that she had other applicants to interview and I had been very difficult to get a hold of. Finally, she stated she would be there till 5.

So my normal hours are 8:30 to 5 pm, I usually end up working till 6 if not longer. Am I asking too much in wanting to schedule a time? At this point I was steamed so I wrote the recruiter to let her know I no longer wanted the position. Thus for once, I am glad I didn't get far in a process or get the job.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its pretty unprofessional IMO to not schedule a time. Thats how its been for every interview process I've gone through. Employers are usually pretty willing to work around your schedule when they know you are already working another job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's what I kind of figured, I mean I understand meetings come up (our managers are in meetings for hours), but at least schedule a time. Can't tell the customer to hold for 15 minutes while I do a phone interview. Just steamed me good when she says I was hard to get a hold of....schedule a time and I won't be so hard to get!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I agree with you man. Not scheduling a time is very unprofessional. It is almost saying "my time is more valuable than yours". It is almost a slap in the face.

I may be reading into it wrong, but that is how I would take it. If she is too busy to setup a time that works out MUTUALLY, then her loss.

I really LOVE her excuse. "I am in meetings". So what, are all of her meetings unscheduled? If they don't schedule times, how come the meetings don't overlap? How does everyone get together?

Seriously... just unprofessional. And if I sound scorned about this, it is because I am. This has happened to me before ;) And I did the same thing you are doing now.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Oh, I don't know, I think your being childish by not bending to the will of the corporate overlord!

(totally kidding)

Yeah, I've dealt with this same situation before. The people I had to speak to could only speak to me while I was at work, and couldn't give me a solid time to plan for a call so I could maybe take my lunch/break a little earlier or later to accommodate them. After a few days of playing phone tag, I figured that the potential employer was probably just a little too disorganized for my taste.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup that is about where I am at. I looked at it as, I have a job (got a raise) and while I'm not fond of my job I am paying my bills so other things will come.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Yup that is about where I am at. I looked at it as, I have a job (got a raise) and while I'm not fond of my job I am paying my bills so other things will come.

Good way to look at it. Get some more certs and see what else comes your way.
    Besides, the best time to be looking for a job is when you already have one. By that, I mean that you've got your bills paid, and you can filter the jobs that appeal to you, rather than being desperate and having to jump at whatever's available.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    not organized at the beginning = total failure at the end
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't want to work for a manager who is unable to properly schedule a telephone interview.

The "you are hard to reach" part would have killed it for me too. That's just not a base for working together.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lordy wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to work for a manager who is unable to properly schedule a telephone interview.

The "you are hard to reach" part would have killed it for me too. That's just not a base for working together.

Totally agree. If it is like this during the interview process, just imagine how dealings would be on a daily basis. It would be more like "my lack of planning constitutes an emergency on your part" from your manager's point of view, whereas I live by the mantra of "a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro