Craigslist "rooms & shares"

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
I'm starting a new job in a city 2 hours away either next week, or the week after. My soon-to-be-wife can't move there until late June - she is finishing the LPN program at her college around June 20th.

My new work schedule is 12a - 10a 4 days per week, so I would need a hotel for 3 nights each week. The cheapest I could find was $40. 40*3*4 = 480/month, which is a bit much....

I checked craigslist and found a "rooms & shares" section. People will rent out rooms with a bed. Here's a sample ad:
Sleeping room with bed and dresser. free cable, water, and electricity. Shared kitchen and bath
STRICTLY ANTI-DRUG!!!!! $80 weekly with $50 deposit

That right there would save $160 over a month's time. I might could find one even cheaper. Anyone tried this before? Are they cool with you only being there a month?

And one other question: Do you have any other alternative suggestions to
A) cheap hotels (not so cheap)
B) Craigslist rooms & shares
?
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe I am just a suspicious person, but the only thing that worries me about such shared joints is the safety of your belongings. If you do your research well enough, then it shouldnt be a problem. But just something to think about. I wish you luck.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have thought about similar situations myself and I don't really have a good answer. Most of the job opportunities with my company are in the DC metro area, and my wife is also in the middle of an LPN program (beyond the fact that she has no desire to move in that area, anyhow). My current job is with our only client in the area, so if that client chose to no longer use us, I would be out of a job without moving. Now, I am pretty sure I would get a nice COLA adjustment that could cover a place to stay during the week, but it is also much more than two hours away, so I would be flying back and forth, which would be a huge increase in cost.

I figured that my best chance would be to find a coworker (someone that works for my company, but not someone I work with daily) and see if they would have a place for me to crash. I basically would just need a closet and a fold out bed. I would probably go to work and workout at the gym and then just shower there.

Definitely a conundrum. I hope you find a solution.

One crazy idea I had was just to sleep in my car :) And then I could shower at the gym. I just wouldn't have anywhere to keep clothes, which is a big deal for my company since 70% of the jobs require business formal attire. Maybe rent a storage unit that is climate controlled... you could at least put your stuff there... maybe sleep (I am sure that there are all sorts of prohibitions against it, but maybe it could work out). Again, it is a bit radical.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    Essendon wrote: »
    Maybe I am just a suspicious person, but the only thing that worries me about such shared joints is the safety of your belongings. If you do your research well enough, then it shouldnt be a problem. But just something to think about. I wish you luck.

I certainly wouldn't be leaving much of anything around in a situation like that. If you could get away with it, I wouldn't leave anything at all there during the day. But I feel the same way about hotels. I typically just leave my "do not disturb" sign up 24/7 and ask for fresh linens and bedding (if I am there for more than three days) when I am around.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    That makes sense. So if I did did this, it's best to make sure I can keep everything I need in the car and avoid leaving anything in the room while I'm not there.

A climate controlled storage unit. That's thinking outside of the box icon_lol.gif

I couldn't imagine flying to work everyday but I can tell you it is cheaper to rent a hotel room 3 days per week than driving 4 hours each day to get back and forth to work.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I did see a show a few months back about a couple who has a very very small apt in NYC. Both of them are executives, so business attire is a must. What they did is have several dry cleaners in the area. They would bus, cab, bike to one of them, pick up their outfits for the day and change. Im sure in the long haul it would be quite expensive, but for a few weeks/months might not be too bad.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I did see a show a few months back about a couple who has a very very small apt in NYC. Both of them are executives, so business attire is a must. What they did is have several dry cleaners in the area. They would bus, cab, bike to one of them, pick up their outfits for the day and change. Im sure in the long haul it would be quite expensive, but for a few weeks/months might not be too bad.

So they basically used the dry cleaners as a place to keep their clothes and then their closet was just a cache? Not bad, but it would be a logistical pain to manage unnecessarily. But, then again, I don't live in NYC. I know that they have couriers in the area, so it may be cheaper to have a courier deal with that. Plus, I am sure that there are tons of dry cleaners around... just make a good relationship with one or two close by. May even be able to work something out where you actually keep some clothes there with the dry cleaner's knowledge.

Creative, nonetheless.
    ehnde wrote: »
    That makes sense. So if I did did this, it's best to make sure I can keep everything I need in the car and avoid leaving anything in the room while I'm not there.

Yep. Another thought is that maybe your working environment for afford you the ability to keep much of your stuff there. I don't know, but most places that I have worked, I have had access to IT only areas, like wiring closets, labs, storage rooms, etc. Maybe an empty filing cabinet in a server room or lab?
    A climate controlled storage unit. That's thinking outside of the box icon_lol.gif

I don't know what metro area you will be working... maybe you could provide that and someone that knows the area could provide some specific information?
    I couldn't imagine flying to work everyday but I can tell you it is cheaper to rent a hotel room 3 days per week than driving 4 hours each day to get back and forth to work.

Oh definitely. I would have to fly out and back just for the weekends... unless I wanted to use an entire day for travel back and forth. The other option would be to use a bus or train and sleep during the commute.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm starting a new job in a city 2 hours away either next week, or the week after. My soon-to-be-wife can't move there until late June - she is finishing the LPN program at her college around June 20th.

My new work schedule is 12a - 10a 4 days per week, so I would need a hotel for 3 nights each week. The cheapest I could find was $40. 40*3*4 = 480/month, which is a bit much....

I checked craigslist and found a "rooms & shares" section. People will rent out rooms with a bed. Here's a sample ad:

That right there would save $160 over a month's time. I might could find one even cheaper. Anyone tried this before? Are they cool with you only being there a month?

And one other question: Do you have any other alternative suggestions to
    A) cheap hotels (not so cheap)
    B) Craigslist rooms & shares
    ?

How about couch surfing? It looks free, but sounds a tad weird. Hey it's a thought :)

CouchSurfing - FAQ

YouTube - Couch-Surfing
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If it's 2 hours why not just drive back and forth? It sounds like there may not be much traffic given the hours you will be working.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Essendon wrote: »

Request to be able to install a lock on YOUR door.

Otherwise, travel light and if you may not lock the door, have a lock box within the room for 'valuables' (but what do you truly need to carry outside a laptop or such?).

I'm more cautious, yet folks do this sort of thing and it works great! It can be an excellent $$$ savings for all involved. So, just like going to school or such, only take things you are not emotionally 'tied' to and if they are broken, lost, stolen...you simply are devistated. Aside from some clothing and a few 'gadgets' keep these items limited and I think you can be fine.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can check out your potential roommates ahead of time, so just make sure they're not shady and you should be OK. In many areas there are homeowners who rent out a room to help pay for their mortgage, which might be "safer" than renting a room in an apartment with college kids. If there is a college near your new employer, you might be able to get a cheaper space if you're willing to share a room with one or more roommates, but beware that college kids frequently lack any hygiene whatsoever. Besides Craigslist, you could ask your soon to be coworkers if they knew anyone who needs a roommate.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    rsutton wrote: »
    If it's 2 hours why not just drive back and forth? It sounds like there may not be much traffic given the hours you will be working.

At $4/gallon, 30mpg, and 126 miles each way that comes out to $128/week. That's one idea, but it is alot of driving. After working all night I'd probably be really tired.
    Request to be able to install a lock on YOUR door.
    I bet some of these people that are renting out rooms year around may have some sort of lock that you get a key for, but they probably have a key themselves. I'm going to bring enough clothes to last 4 days, computer, and study material and just keep everything in the car. Only thing to worry about is early summer heat (or the car getting broken in to, which is unlikely).
    You can check out your potential roommates ahead of time, so just make sure they're not shady and you should be OK.
    Any ideas about how to go about doing this in a not too invasive way? Actually it sounds like you are saying meet them first and get see if their are signs of deviant/criminal behavior.

The couchsurfing thing could be a VERY good idea for someone else, but in my case I would need assurance that a room is dark and I'm not disturbed while I'm sleeping. Actually that could be a problem renting a room out. Probably best to mention night shift work when "interviewing" a craigslist landlord.
    Any ideas about how to go about doing this in a not too invasive way? Actually it sounds like you are saying meet them first and get see if their are signs of deviant/criminal behavior.
    It would be best if you could meet in person. If not, at least talk to them over phone... ask about their employer, hobbies, and so on. Also check them out on LinkedIn, Facebook, and search Google for their name.
    MentholMoose
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It would be best if you could meet in person. If not, at least talk to them over phone... ask about their employer, hobbies, and so on. Also check them out on LinkedIn, Facebook, and search Google for their name.
    Go through their trash, maybe place a GPS unit on their car... I like the cut of your jib! j/k
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Go through their trash, maybe place a GPS unit on their car... I like the cut of your jib! j/k
    All good ideas. Another tip is to get their work phone number, then obtain the main office number (e.g. search Google or just guess) and call their coworkers/manager. You know, to check their story out. icon_cool.gif
    MentholMoose
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Why not 'invite' those who live there for coffee or a sandwich or something. It will be a friendly gesture let the parties all meet each other. They might be just as leary of you :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At $4/gallon, 30mpg, and 126 miles each way that comes out to $128/week. That's one idea, but it is alot of driving. After working all night I'd probably be really tired.

You need a motorcycle my friend. 50+mpg.

But yeah given those numbers it makes sense to get hotel or room share. Choose wisely & carry some sort of "defense".
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Why not 'invite' those who live there for coffee or a sandwich or something. It will be a friendly gesture let the parties all meet each other. They might be just as leary of you :)

A humbling reminder, good point. I would be the scary stranger coming into*their* home!
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not just ask to see the room? while your seeing the room, you can talk to them and explain your situation. Then find out more information about them. After meeting them and seeing the room you can then decide weather or not you want to pursue staying there.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Back in 2005 I ended up accepting a short term (90 days) contract in Chicago and had to find a place quick. In the interest of saving a few bucks, I used craigslist to find a room for rent.

The experience was "interesting" to say the least. On paper it looked great. Once I got there I realized they never actually lied but they did gloss over a few things. For example, the ad mentioned that the other 3 people in the house chipped in for a housekeeper to come in and clean once a week.

They left out the fact that their "housekeeper" was a 45yo addict with obvious mental health issues. She did come in and clean once a week (did a pretty good job) and her prices were very reasonable, but she was also prone to staring at the wall and arguing with herself for 20-30 minutes at a time. I came home one time and found her stuck in a loop. Her was sweater was half off and she was walking into the wall over and over again. I had to grab her by the shoulders and sit her down before she came back to reality.

After that experience, I decided that I would stick with extended stay hotels.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How about couch surfing? It looks free, but sounds a tad weird. Hey it's a thought :)

CouchSurfing - FAQ

YouTube - Couch-Surfing

wow, that's pretty interesting I've never heard about it before. Thanks for sharing.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would stick to the hotel, at least it's safer and probably cleaner and you don't have to deal with crazy housekeepers.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    If it's a NOC job you may be talking about Louisville. I've been there a lot and it can be a scary city sometimes but I love how much culture it has compared to everywhere else nearby. Bardstown road is my favorite place to take a weekend vacation with all the bars and local brewers.

A friend of mine works as something like a 3rd shift support manager for Insight and does pretty well living in a studio apartment (in the ghetto). It has no kitchen and communal showers but is dirt cheap and works well for a couple guys who are never home and only need a place to crash in the morning.

Whenever our group of friends visit though we always rent a hotel downtown so a flat may not be the best choice if you have company.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
    I got a room for rent $65/week with a $100 deposit. The worst that could happen is it doesn't work out at all and I sleep a night in my car icon_lol.gif This guy routinely rents rooms out to people on craigslist, so I'm not worried.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I got a room for rent $65/week with a $100 deposit. The worst that could happen is it doesn't work out at all and I sleep a night in my car icon_lol.gif This guy routinely rents rooms out to people on craigslist, so he can **** them in their sleep.

Fixed that for ya. icon_lol.gif

My wife and kids couldn't join me for a couple months when I moved from MT to IL. We put our old house up for rent, her and her kids went to stay with her parents, and I found us a new house. I already have most of our stuff unpacked by the time they came out.

Point is maybe your soon to be wife can stay with friends or family until she's able to join you closer to your new job.
    Pishof wrote: »
    If it's a NOC job you may be talking about Louisville. I've been there a lot and it can be a scary city sometimes but I love how much culture it has compared to everywhere else nearby. Bardstown road is my favorite place to take a weekend vacation with all the bars and local brewers.

A friend of mine works as something like a 3rd shift support manager for Insight and does pretty well living in a studio apartment (in the ghetto). It has no kitchen and communal showers but is dirt cheap and works well for a couple guys who are never home and only need a place to crash in the morning.

Whenever our group of friends visit though we always rent a hotel downtown so a flat may not be the best choice if you have company.

Yep you're right on the money. I wonder if I met your friend. It's possible if he works in the NOC.

Now I'm just worried about if there will be a place to safely park my car.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    in nyc people do this all the time. just make sure you sleep with a chefs knife under the pillow.

haha jk its fairly common to rent a room by the week.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I rented a room off of craigslist once. Honestly it's a risk but it ended up being a hell of an experience. It turned out to be one of the most fun places that I've lived and I had 0 problems.

I'd suggest giving it a try. Good or bad it'll be an interesting life experience.