Options

VMWare Home Lab for MCITP, testing

EruMaisEruMais Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am trying to build a relatively cheap server that I wish to eventually use to install VMWare ESXi in order to practice for MCITP:SA. I am a complete noob to virtualization, though I've been reading up on it. I suppose I could use VMWare Workstation for this, but I would like to have a physical machine as a dedicated file/media server. I would like to "future-proof" it to some extent so that after completing MCITP:SA, I could use it to test VMWare if I wish to go down the virtualization route, or to test out other software.

This is what I've come up with so far. I'm contemplating getting some sort of NAS, but I'm on a budget and was wondering if I could get away with just using local drives on the machine. I don't want to just get something that's "entry level" and then have to buy more equipment a year or so from now. I'm going to WGU and would like to get something now to have until I graduate which hopefully will be in a year and a half.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

Newegg.com - Intel PWLA8391GT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter 1 x RJ45 - Network Interface Cards

Newegg.com - CISCO SLM2008T-NA 10/100/1000Mbps SG200-08 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch 8 x RJ45

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I don't know if I'm going to run into any issues with the mobo, but the white box websites seem to be pretty outdated as far as motherboards go (ultimatewhitebox, vmhelp) and I can't find anything up to date on the motherboards I've looked at. I don't want to take a risk, but I also don't want to have to hunt down an out of production motherboard. I added an Intel PRO 1000 since I've read that the on board NIC's aren't generally compatible.

Does anyone know of any AMD motherboards that are current which are compatible with ESXi?

Also, is a switch something that is necessary? I have an old laptop, a new laptop (Core i5, 8 GB ram); and a desktop machine. The desktop machine is mostly a gaming box. If I don't need a physical NAS, then I'm assuming that a switch isn't necessary at this point. The rest of my home equipment is connected via a linksys wireless router.

I know I have a lot of questions because I'm relatively new to this so I appreciate your patience and help.

Comments