EIA/TIA calbing pinouts/colors

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hi there,

I understand the concept of straight through and cross-over cables and I know which pins are transmit/receive for each. I also know when each type of cable is required. That being said, for ICND1 + ICND2 am I required to know the color coding for T568A and T658B e.g.

1 = G/W
2 = Green
3 = O/W....

I'm guessing probably not. Lammle doesn't show colors in his book, only which pins are crossed. The Odom book does show the colors.

Cheers,

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Remembering the cable colors kinda sticks with you.

I remember being told one time, that orange-white, orange, green white, blue, blue-white, green, brown-white, brown ... was the thing to know. One guy even berated me for not having this memorized....your mileage may vary.

What is important is that realizing that you can't do gigabit crossover unless you cross over all pairs, and you get standard crossover from crossing over the 1,2 and the 3,6 pairs.

And, rollover cable is flipping all the cables on the opposite end.

Hope this helps :D

What I would find more important for CCNA is knowing which cables you plug in where:

What cables between hub and PC? hub and switch? PC and PC? PC and router? PC and Switch? Switch and Switch? Hub and Hub?

When do you use a rollover cable?

How do you make a rollover cable?

How do you make a crossover cable?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Thanks!

I'll go ahead and learn the colors anyway - you are right, it's good to know.

At present I just google it whenever I need to make a cable :P

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Yeah, I think the key is knowing what the different types of cables are for, and knowing when to use each one.

It does no good to memorize a color-scheme for straight-thru, if you don't know when to use a straight-thru cable.

Basically, if you pick up a cable, without even memorizing the color scheme, you should be able to look at both ends and determine if it is straight-thru, cross-over, or rollover :D

As an extension of that, from looking at one end, you should be able to modify the other one, to make it straight-thru, cross-over, or rollover.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    I agree with instant. It's more important to know what type of cables you use between certain devices. Knowing the colors can come afterward.
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dont worry about colours

when u crimp rj45 then it will matter for practical things
    for exams just remember pin numbers

straight
    568a-568a
    568b-568b

crossover
    568a-568b

just remember

devices trasmit on 1,2 and recieve on 3,6
    pc nic

router

device transmit on 3,6 and recieve on 1,2

switch

hub

like devices use crossover cables

difference devices use straight-through cables
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rollover is used for configuring routers

1<->8
    2<->7
    3<->6
    4<->5
    5<->4
    6<->3
    7<->2
    8<->1
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Eventually you'll need to know about T1 crossover cables which use 1,2 and 4,5.