Options

ESXI vs ESX ?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
dudes
I have no clue what is the difference.

I have an ESXI 4.1 and and ESX 3.5 both have the command line
and looks the same what the difference????

VMware ESX Server 3.5.0 build-82663

VMware ESXi 4.1.0 build-348481

they look and feel the same??
both use the infrastructure client. and ofcourse the 4.1 looks more spiffy with a nicer GUI but nonetless they seem to function the same?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Check this: Compare VMware ESXi and ESX Hypervisors for Simplified Virtualization Management

In a nutshell, ESX has a service console and ESXi doesn't. ESX is being phased out and everything from VMware is now based on ESXi.
  • Options
    good cause I bought esxi 4.1 and am using it and it is great ...thanks man
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In fact, VMWare removed the binaries for ESX 4.1 and only available versions are now ESXI

Edit: actually, they're still there, just right the bottom
    Edit2: it is, but as older version so I think it won't be updated anymore.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    thank Gomjaba! cool stuff appreciate your ideas ;)
  • Options
    The only reason I personally loved the full version of ESX is the Service Console as it has a nice set of commands.

Now however I am starting to love vMA and PowerCLI so ESXi is just fine .. in fact - vMA is brilliant :)
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    itdaddy wrote: »
    good cause I bought esxi 4.1 and am using it and it is great ...thanks man

As far as I know, unless something has changed...ESXi is free. We run multiple physical servers with the ESXi bare-metal hypervisior and have never paid a dime for it. Have downloaded and installed it 3 times in the last year. All you need is an e-mail address and they will send you an activation code.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LucasMN wrote: »
    As far as I know, unless something has changed...ESXi is free. We run multiple physical servers with the ESXi bare-metal hypervisior and have never paid a dime for it. Have downloaded and installed it 3 times in the last year. All you need is an e-mail address and they will send you an activation code.

Most likely, he is referring to paying for the licensing for vSphere (vCenter Server and other features).
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In VMware's eyes you aren't paying for the hypervisor (ESX or ESXi), you are paying for the feature set. They don't care which one you use. ESXi is indeed free, but you don't have any of the higher end features without the necessary licensing.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You also can't manage an ESXI free instance with Vsphere, there are paid version of ESXI, you also can't do direct path I/O per the sales guy I called.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another thing to keep in mind is that ESX is not going to be a product going forward. Starting with 5 it is ESXi or bust. We decided to change our ESX 4 infrastructure to ESXi 4.1 so that future upgrades will be easier.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    yep you are are right i have the paid version of esxi 4.1
    because it allows driver injection..and vcenter management.
    love it..
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote: »
    yep you are are right i have the paid version of esxi 4.1
    because it allows driver injection..and vcenter management.
    love it..

ESX has already dropped to the bottom of the download page and there won't be any updates anymore I think ... The build number is old (ish)... You can get maybe patches via the update manager, not sure, but people have to start looking into alternative methods of managing (due to the lack of service console = less commands available) ... vMa, PowerCLI, CLI springs into mind.