Icnd1

Guile101Guile101 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am currently studying for this using wendell odom's book. I dont have much experience at all with switches so my knowledge is mainly theory at the moment.

From reading various forums there is not much emphasis on configuring switches etc on icnd1 so I was wondering do I need to buy lab equipment, simulation tools to prepare for the icnd1 test.

is there much simulation involved? Should using packet tracer be sufficient for ccent?

Is there any good free labs out there to practice.

Thanks in advance.icon_wink.gif

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have a copy of Packet Tracer, it will get you through the CCENT and the CCNA. Though it cannot solve the "I've never touched a real router and/or switch" problem, so keep that in mind as well.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There's definitely labbing involved. If you don't touch the IOS, there's no point sitting for this exam. Packet Tracer will suffice.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Packet tracer will work for most of the material for the ICND1 but it doesn't support a few commands so you'll have to memorize them.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can pass the CCNA exam using Packet Tracer alone. I did it, but I would encourage you to get some hands-on experience with real Cisco equipment. I am currently building a Cisco home lab in anticipation of starting my CCNP studies in a few months. Check out eBay. There is some excellent used Cisco gear on eBay for reasonable prices. Start building your home lab and get familiar with configuring Cisco switches and routers for real. That way, if they ask you in an interview if you have worked with switches and routers you can say "yes". A simulator can only do so much, and I promise you will learn a lot more if you have actual routers and switches to work with. You will need it if you decide to continue on to CCNP or CCIE. Good luck with your studies!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For CCENT i'm using a single 2950 and 1721. Total cost of about 80 bucks or so on ebay. For 80 bucks it was well worth the investment
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • kamay44kamay44 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, i've been reading you guys for a couple of months, but now i have a simple question.

If you are new in the IT field and you want to prepare for the CCNA, what's the way for building your home lab?? i mean, i don't have any idea about which router or switch will work for me or not. I'm starting college next week and each ccna course is 75 hours(25 Hours/week), so its 300 Hours the complete preparation for the test.

The firts two courses are for ICND1, but is just 6 weeks, i would like to have my home lab by the finish of my firts week. What should i do??? How am i going to know what to buy??

Thank you guys and i'm sorry if the question is too noobie and for my bad english

P.D: I don't have a big budget
    kamay44 wrote: »
    If you are new in the IT field and you want to prepare for the CCNA, what's the way for building your home lab?? i mean, i don't have any idea about which router or switch will work for me or not. I'm starting college next week and each ccna course is 75 hours(25 Hours/week), so its 300 Hours the complete preparation for the test.

The firts two courses are for ICND1, but is just 6 weeks, i would like to have my home lab by the finish of my firts week. What should i do??? How am i going to know what to buy??

You're taking the actual Cisco Networking Academy classes? I would hold off on buying anything right now. You'll get plenty of hands on with excellent gear in the classes and access to Packet Tracer so you can practice at home.
  • kamay44kamay44 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm gonna start college in Canada. Network Administration Program and includes the four cisco courses.
    kamay44 wrote: »
    I'm gonna start college in Canada. Network Administration Program and includes the four cisco courses.

Then yes, I would hold off on buying anything just yet. Do your classes and go from there.