Wgu / brv1 & bsv1

michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
so, I'm taking BRV1 and then BSV1 through WGU. The only "book" that I can find in the COS is a PDF review manual from ucertify.com. Is this for real? there isn't an actual book or ebook for this class?

If thils is the case, what book do you guys recommend? Of is the PDF review manual and the other stuff in ucertify enough with labbing?

I ask here instead of the WGU forums because the WGU forums feel pretty dead and I know that quite a few TEs are attending WGU.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4

Comments

• ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I just started the same classes. I do not like what they provide (ucertify and labsim) so I purchased the CBT Nuggets videos and Wendel Odoms books to get me through.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    Although I didn't take those classes, there were some classes that I had to purchase my own books. This may be one of those classes.
    Double check the learning resources tab for the class though. That will list any that are provided.
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    I've found quite a few errors in the UCertify PDF study guide that I just finished reading. Was crazy.

Is this the book you are using?

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    michaelcox wrote: »
    I've found quite a few errors in the UCertify PDF study guide that I just finished reading. Was crazy.

Is this the book you are using?

Your link is messed up, here's the right one:

Amazon.com: CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition (Containing ICND1 and ICND2 Second Edition Exam Certification Guides) (9781587201837): Wendell Odom: Books

Those books are the gold standard for ICND1 and ICND2 IMHO. Combine that with freeccnaworkbook.com and/or some of the other resources in the CCNA FAQ and you'll be good. Todd Lammle's book and the CBT Nugget videos are also popular study sources.
  • alatheaalathea Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Log into wgu.skillport.com and then search the books there. Todd Lammels book is in there, Stephen McQuerry's Icnd1 and 2 books are there, CCENT for Dummies is there......You just have to use all the resources they give you. Its not all in the COS.

CAS

michaelcox wrote: »
    so, I'm taking BRV1 and then BSV1 through WGU. The only "book" that I can find in the COS is a PDF review manual from ucertify.com. Is this for real? there isn't an actual book or ebook for this class?

If thils is the case, what book do you guys recommend? Of is the PDF review manual and the other stuff in ucertify enough with labbing?

I ask here instead of the WGU forums because the WGU forums feel pretty dead and I know that quite a few TEs are attending WGU.
    BS Information Systems Management 2008 Doane College
    MS Information Security and Assurance 2013 WGU
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    alathea wrote: »
    Log into wgu.skillport.com and then search the books there. Todd Lammels book is in there, Stephen McQuerry's Icnd1 and 2 books are there, CCENT for Dummies is there......You just have to use all the resources they give you. Its not all in the COS.

CAS

Do you really have to necro-thread? icon_scratch.gif I'm sure they figured that out 4 months ago. If you have any questions regarding to the courses in WGU, then you should use the thread sticky. It should be alive as of right now, because I know I will be using it for the next six months.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you really have to necro-thread? icon_scratch.gif I'm sure they figured that out 4 months ago. If you have any questions regarding to the courses in WGU, then you should use the thread sticky. It should be alive as of right now, because I know I will be using it for the next six months.

Sure he did. I didn't know about this resource, and he pointed it out. Thanks to the original poster of that link! :)

A helpful post is great, even if it's a 3 month old thread.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    PC509 wrote: »
    A helpful post is great, even if it's a 3 month old thread.

If it weren't for the necro-thread, you can still find this post using the search feature or you can go all the way back until you find it. Maybe this is how the poster before me did it. icon_lol.gif
  • alatheaalathea Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found it via a google hit.

Necro threaed is a BS. Information is information and there is no reason to create yet another new post for something that is already covered.

WGU is a bit confusing for anyone that isn't used to not having a syllabus shoved at them. I see posts every day in their boards, both under grad and grad where people aren't aware that they are not tied to ONLY what the COS shows them. There are a LOT of resources in Skilport-including videos/computer based simulation and lectures, on more then most people would want to know about, well, most any of the stuff we cover. Search for stuff besides books and see what comes up. I was amazed at how much was out there that wasn't in the COS.

Ill go away now.
    BS Information Systems Management 2008 Doane College
    MS Information Security and Assurance 2013 WGU