Can someone explain what a Tier 1/Tier 2 Router is?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
In a class on Cisco routers. The teacher has said the following terms a few times: Tier 1 and Tier 2 router.

We are working with Cisco Routers/Switches and I think he explained what they are, however, I can't find the info in my notes.

Have tried to find the info via Google however I'm finding either Tier 1 ISP and/or Tier 1/2 Bandwidth.

Examples:

Cisco Systems Announces Dedicated Edge Services Router -> Cisco News

http://ezinearticles.com/?Whats-The-Difference-Between-Tier-1-Tier-2-And-Tier-3-Bandwidth-Providers-To-Your-Business?&id=442348

Has anyone heard of this term and if so, can they expand on it.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    not sure, maybe its an ISP lingo regarding layers from inner core to outer edge devices? Or perhaps its just old school terminology regarding core and distribution layer devices. Not sure really in honest truth never used those terms nor worked with people that use those terms.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Ask the instructor what he/she means by the term :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Seems most likely that he is referring to core, distribution, or access layer devices within a design model.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Only thing on the net is this from Wikipedia..

Tier 2 network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but like others I've never used or heard any of my friends using that terminology.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Only thing on the net is this from Wikipedia..

Tier 2 network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but like others I've never used or heard any of my friends using that terminology.

That wiki article describes the only time I've heard those terms used in regards to networking.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    instant000 wrote: »
    Ask the instructor what he/she means by the term :D

I think you might be right and they might be referring to the Access, Core and Distribution roles for switches/routers.

I'll circle back and ask.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I think you might be right and they might be referring to the Access, Core and Distribution roles for switches/routers.

I'll circle back and ask.
    Yeah but you said routers... In my study, I've only seen those terms (access, distribution, and core) mentioned with respect to switches.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Yeah but you said routers... In my study, I've only seen those terms (access, distribution, and core) mentioned with respect to switches.

Depends on the network really. For example a service provider environment you are going to usually have routers at all three levels, maybe a switch at the edge for Ethernet customers.

As far as Tiers of routers, I've heard it used to explain the core/edge scenario as far as security is concerned. A Tier 1 router is going to be on your edge and a Tier 2 will be an internal router usually separated by some sort of firewall.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118

As far as Tiers of routers, I've heard it used to explain the core/edge scenario as far as security is concerned. A Tier 1 router is going to be on your edge and a Tier 2 will be an internal router usually separated by some sort of firewall.

Dead on!

I asked the instructor again just to update my notes and this is what he said.

thanks

-unknown
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Another way to look at it is a classification of hardware by a vendor such as Cisco. The 1900 router being more of a small branch office solution compared to a 3900 which is beefier and allows for more throughput. Both of the the same class of router, but may be considered different tiers.

It's not really something important to know for CCNA topics because it's just a term that can be applied loosely anywhere.