Options

serial cards vs t1 cards

chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
I see on here for everyones home lab they tend to use serial ports on their routers to connect them but why do that over the t1 cards? Seems like they are both close in price but cat 5e cables are cheaper so I was curious as I am setting up a home lab now.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's usually easier and cheaper to get the port density for frame relay switches using the serial ports with the DB60 connectors. The old 2500 series came with built-in serial ports that used the DB60s and the 252x routers still make good lab frame relay clouds (if the price is right). The NM-4A/S and NM-8A/S modules are also pretty cheap now a days. And if you get a couple (or more) free (or $10) 2501 routers, you can build a compound frame cloud using multiple routers.

If you get a good deal on T1 cards and have the slots to support the port density you want/need, then they are fine.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Thats why I was asking I scored 10 t1 cards through work for free so I was debating just going that way. I would just need crossover cables right?

I was planning on using a 2620 as a frame relay switch could I still do that with t1 cards?
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    you need to make yourself T1 crossover cables yes
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thats why I was asking I scored 10 t1 cards through work for free so I was debating just going that way. I would just need crossover cables right?

I was planning on using a 2620 as a frame relay switch could I still do that with t1 cards?

The issue with the T-1 as Mike pointed out is port density. With a 2620 I believe you have two wan slots for your T-1s. You can get a NM-4a/s (four serial ports on one card) to go in the one network module slot and already have more ports than you would filling it with T-1s.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.