Options

Own domain?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
How many of you have your own domain? My colleague and I keep giving another friend a hard time because his @gmail address looks so generic. We both have first@lastname.com. On the other hand, it's hilarious how when I give out the email to non-techie people they think I am given them a fake address. A few months ago I even got "no, no, you can't make it up. It has to be yahoo or gmail".

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I own my own domain and so does my brother in law.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know what you are talking about.

I used to give people specific addresses under my domain so that I could track if they were sold/stolen from them. If you tell your bank that your email is somebank@myname.com they give you strange looks.

However, I think it makes perfect sense to have a personalized address. mail@yourname.com just looks better than bad-azz@hotmale.com icon_wink.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I could think of a name for my domain, I would have one. Unfortnately, my last name has already been taken.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EDIT: Domain names...

I had ONE but I let it expire: first.last@thejizzleman.com

The choosing of that domain was NOT related to adult content.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    lordy wrote: »
    ....just looks better than bad-azz@hotmale.com icon_wink.gif

Hey, that's my email address!!!

;)
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I own several domains. My main email address is my firstname@first-lastname.com
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    I own a few domains too. It just seems easier in case I need to change email providers, I don't have to tell people my new email address.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I have one too. We use it for our blog, and I have a firstname@lastname.net email, but rarely use it. I mostly just use my gmail.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I have firstname@lastname.eu
    .com was taken, and I live in EU, so...
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have my own domain, but my ISP has an obscure domain name that sometimes gets rejected because it isn't a "valid address". BS, it is perfectly valid.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    You give your friend a hard time for having a generic e-mail address?

You don't have a girlfriend do you? ;)
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought domain for Exchange lab. Also wanted <lastname>.com, but it was taken already along with .eu and others. I believe that there is less than 100 people in the world with the same last name as me, but still someone got there first and bought them all icon_sad.gif.
    Was so upset that couldn't think what domain to choose and then inspiration came from my favorite TV show - IT Crowd and I got tnetennba.lt (.com was taken). Now I use it only for lab (no need to use dummy domain anymore) and not for personal e-mail because it's nightmare to spell it :)
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My last name was taken. I do own www.firstnamelastname.com. I should setup an email address with it. I also got www.videguy.com for fun, I use the username on several boards, so I grabbed it.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a few, including @firstlastname.com. It's much less generic than @gmail.com although it's still hosted by Google. :D
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When my wife and I got engaged, I purchased <@mynameandhername.com>. About 5-6 months ago I migrated it from the host to Google Apps, still using my domain but leveraging Gmail, Google Calendar, etc.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    I know this is an older topic, but I thought I'd rather dig it up than to create a new one.

I've never owned a domain before, but I'm thinking of buying one just to have it so that it doesn't get taken. It is currently owned by Tucows but is listed as for sale.

Would anyone have any details about their experience buying a domain that I might be able to learn from. Since I've never done it before it all seems very mysterious.

Thanks
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nothing to it, just get a domain from Go Daddy (so you can manage your own DNS records - it's just easier that way). Get shared hosting with someone cheap or get a cheap VPS and manage your own webserver. Point your Go Daddy DNS towards the hosting nameservers and your done.

EDIT - I've never bought a pre-owned domain though...
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I own gorebrush.co.uk

Though if and when I start setting up a business I'll probably pick up another
  • Options
    What concerns me is the whole "rental" idea about owning a domain. Lets say I register a domain at $19.99 for the first year. What is to stop the company from coming around next year and saying "oh by the way, it's $100 now."
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am looking into this myself, and I don't there is anything that stops them from doing things like that, HOWEVER ... You are free to move to domain to another host which is cheaper. I know Yahoo is constantly running so called "sales" on domain name registration, and the cheapest I have seen from them is $1.95 for the first year.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't have my own domain name. I'm perfectly happy with my gmail & hotmail addresses. Why would you make fun of someone for not having their own domain name? That seems silly to me.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    What concerns me is the whole "rental" idea about owning a domain. Lets say I register a domain at $19.99 for the first year. What is to stop the company from coming around next year and saying "oh by the way, it's $100 now."
    Go with a reputable registrar. If a registrar actually increased the price 10 fold, they would lose a lot of business since you can transfer your domain to another registrar.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Becasue its not really rented from that company often, usualy you can change your "regastra", they are simple the middle man who handle the paper work to get the DNS entry added and aproved (ie make sure no one else is usign it) and in most cases they will own the DNS servers that handel the requests. And will registar the name with ICANN who control all domain names on the net.

So what you are paying them for is to "host" your domain name on there servers, and do some admin. But for the lenth of the contract the Name in most cases is seen as being owned by you, and unless it is stated oher wise, then as long as you take steps before the contact is up then you should be able to keep your name for as long as you like at the price you wish.

For the life of the contract the Domin name is owned by the Organisation Name as seen if you try looking up a Domian name using
    a tool like www.whois.net.

My Domain has been around the block a bit, currently it sits with ZEN.com but that is not who it was purchsed from. But Zen them selves have never owned the name, in fact it is most likley I am the only one who ever has, and ever will.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I have a couple different domains. I have email with both domains one is hosted by godaddy the other by google. I never use either though. I just stick with my good ol' @yahoo.com account. OH and I have my work email which I use for work and I have my school email I use for school and then I also have an @ieee.org account and an @acm.org account which forward to my school email.

With all those choices I still choose to use my @yahoo.com address for personal stuff and even some business related things. I think I would just look at someone with a bewildered look if they tried to give me grief about my email address. Who cares??
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep

Aaron@DevilWAH.com don't go down to well on buisness cards ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.