Options

Javascript based x86 emulator thats capable of running Linux

tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
Javascript PC Emulator

Yeah... Thats just... yeah...

I assume it is legitimate considering this guy wrote QEMU and a whole bunch of other fairly important stuff.

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man, to me that's pretty cool. I'm not all that familiar with JS, but really, do you think the language was meant for things like this? I've seen a MOS-6502 done and working in JavaScript as well. I forget the authors name, though.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    It's an emulation of several pieces of x86 hardware written entirely in JavaScript. It runs BusyBox with a 2.6.20 Linux kernel and uses a Web browser as a terminal. Here are the technical notes describing it. Very, very impressive.

The guy that did wrote it also wrote QEMU and has his own Wikipedia page too.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That goes beyond any awesomeness that can verbally be described....
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I love this part:
    Anyway, this emulator was a way to learn how to write optimized code for recent Javascript engines
    The world goes "awwwe!" and the guy goes "oh, I was just learning and playing around with JavaScript..." :D
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    He already knows a tremendous amount about writing virtualized hardware emulators. What better way for him to learn about new features of a language than to write yet another emulator. Maybe he'll want to learn Python next and port the whole thing over to it.
  • Options
    some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's amazing, especially for the fact it's JavaScript-based!. It looks like a neat place to practice some Linux commands without even downloading anything. It's going in my favorites for sure.icon_thumright.gif
    A+ ~ Feb 2010
    Network+ ~ Jun 2010
    Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???
  • Options
    Note that BusyBox uses ash (Almquist shell), which is a very minimal Linux shell. It doesn't have near the features or scripting capabilities as ksh or bash, and is about the most minimal usable shell implementation for Linux you can find.