Options

Server 2008

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys have been dabbling a bit recently with Windows Server 2003, Never really touched Microsoft Server Products before and have really enjoyed the experience, Server wise before everything I have done has been NIX based.

Started out with a old Pentium 4 test rig just to get to grips with the basics, Setup a DC, DNS, DHCP, And RIS, tested the RIS and all is working sweet, It's all running on a private network away from the company network so I can tinker with stuff without risking f**king up anything lol. So right now Currently I am rebuilding the machine and using an actual server it's all new to me, So today I dug out a Xeon 3Ghz Server, with 2 GIG or Ram whacked in a few Ultra 320's and setup a Raid Array, that's as far as I have got as the Raid Has to sync and apparently it takes ages, So I have left the machine running over night lol, This is one of the perks of working for the company I do, We get alot of I.T Kit donated to us and I get alot of downtime to tinker with it :)

Anyways so that is the background on my Windows Server 2k3 Journey so far, This has kind of inspired me to setup up a home lab at home and of course get up to date and tackle some Windows Server 2008.

From a exam point of view, what exam is a good Introduction to Server 2008?, Do you guys also have any good resources you can give me the heads up on, i.e tutorials, books,

Many Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 70-640 would be a good start if you are familiar with AD, Certificate Services and GPO's. Some folks start with the 70-642 if they come from a networking background. I found the 642 more interesting than the 640 because of DNS, DHCP, routing, DFS and WSUS, but that's just me.

As for text, you may go with the MS Press books for these tests. But I always recommend TechNet over anything else. The AD Resource Kit is also good if you can lay your hands on it. Just be careful though, the MCITP:SA/EA exams are based on 2008 R2 so ensure any material you use is updated to contain R2. HTH!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Since you are a linux guy I would go about this differently. You already know the underpinnings of an OS and everything that is standards based (TCP/IP etc) or even relatively similar (managing permissions and files, backups, etc) are going to be a very quick study for you. I would jump right into what makes Windows machines tick in the workplace. IIS, SQL, Exchange etc, and the various 3rd party business platforms that run atop Windows servers. Based on your background, I am betting you would find powershell and powershell scripting very interesting. There are a plethora books on the topic, I prefer Oreilly cookbooks or the "Unleashed" series.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, from a Windows Server side of things, it's all new to me what I have learnt is self taught by tinkering, Is there any decent material that covers the real basics of Active directory, Domain Controller, WDS, I don't mind reading MS Press books but don't want to bite of more then I can chew currently. I need to understand the basics before I tackle the harder stuff.

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys, from a Windows Server side of things, it's all new to me what I have learnt is self taught by tinkering, Is there any decent material that covers the real basics of Active directory, Domain Controller, WDS, I don't mind reading MS Press books but don't want to bite of more then I can chew currently. I need to understand the basics before I tackle the harder stuff.

I'd check out the Exam Cram books. Granted they are more geared towards prepping for tests, but they were always good resources for me.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Try starting with the free ebook Introducing Windows Server 2008 R2 or Mastering Windows Server 2008 Networking Foundations by Mark Minasi. Originally Minasi was going to release a 3 volume Mastering 2008 set and this was the first book. It's an introduction to servers and administration while the other two books were going to be deeper dives into the technology. The other two books were never published, but much of the work went into his Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2 book. You could start with the Foundations book and then move on to the R2 book or Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed. If that's not enough, you can move on to Resource Kits that focus on specific aspects of server technology.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Claymoore, I have been reading the reviews and it seems like Mark Minasi knows his stuff lol, So which book would be ideal to learn the basics of setting up a 2008 R2 server for the first time I don't want to go into like really really technical stuff, just want to grasp the basics on this is how you go about setting up a DC and basics of Active directory etc,

• Options
    May be a silly question apolgise if it is :) how the hell do you guys manage to afford a to tinker with Server 2008? am I right in saying you guys have hit up pirate bay? lol or is there a genuine way I can get hands on without breaking the law and without forking out loads of money

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    May be a silly question apolgise if it is :) how the hell do you guys manage to afford a to tinker with Server 2008? am I right in saying you guys have hit up pirate bay? lol or is there a genuine way I can get hands on without breaking the law and without forking out loads of money

Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation Free 180-Day Trial
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    anyway to extend the 180 days? :) or can you just keep reloading it

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well, that's 1/2 a year, and doesn't consider putting it in a VM, and just rolling it back from time to time.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Thank you for all your help guys appreciate it man I love this forum

• Options
    You can rearm the trial using the following command:

slmgr.vbs –rearm

I believe you can do this upto 3 times for another 120 days (I think). What's good about these trials is you can chuck it on a VM, bust the hell out of it, delete the VM, build another VM, activate the trial again and you have another 180 days. This is what I do. 180 days are way too long anyway, I have reinstalled my trial so many times that I have lost count. It's the only way you learn, lab - lab - lab...!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Eseendon thank you for the reply and knowledge I know what I will be doing tonight :)

• Options
    Also note you need to execute that command on an elevated command prompt.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637

Get a Technet subscription. The Standard subscription does not include enterprise versions of the server applications, but it has everything else you need. If you move on to Exchange and need to set up a DAG in your lab then you will need to upgrade to the Professional subscription. What's strange is the Standard subscription does not include Windows 7 Enterprise, but does include Ultimate which has all the Enterprise features. A standard subscription is $199 for a year with a $149 renewal and sometimes there are student and regular discounts offered.

I get an MSDN subscription through my company so I have access to anything I need for testing and training.
  • Options
    Claymoore's right about the the TechNet susbcription, but you should get the trial version first. See if you even like doing system administration, maybe then think about getting this subscription. I have been doing systems for about 3 or so years, but havent needed to get the subscription. It's helpful, even better when the company pays for the enterprise edition, but I doubt you would need it for home labs. Microsoft offer trials for most things, get your hands on those and you are laughing.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..