TCP/IP Book Advice

up2thetimeup2thetime Member Posts: 154
Hey guys...

I was looking for some help in choosing a book.

I am deciding between:

Amazon.com: TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol. 1: The Protocols (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) (9780201633467): W. Richard Stevens: Books

OR

Amazon.com: The TCP/IP Guide: A Comprehensive, Illustrated Internet Protocols Reference (9781593270476): Charles M. Kozierok: Books

Both seem really, really good. Google Books has the Stevens book, and the Kozierok book is available on his website. I have been jumping back and forth between the two and would like to purchase one... just not sure which.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The Stevens book is very Unix heavy, but still a good tome on TCP/IP. There are sections you can skip, though.

The second book I've never read, so I can't comment. I will, however, state that I've never read anything from No Starch that I didn't like, so it's probably worthwhile.

My personal recommendation is Douglas Comer's book. It looks like it's been updated to a 5th edition. I don't know what's changed between 4th and 5th, but I have a copy of 4th edition, and I sincerely recommend reading it cover to cover. The 4th edition can be found used for extrememly cheap, the 5th edition is still pricey.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you tried to see if any of the books are in the local book stores ? I usually like to go book shopping on amazon and see if barnes and nobles has the book in stock. If they do I'll go to BN and check out the book to see if I think I'll like it. If I like it then I'll get it on amazon.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Richard Stevens' "TCP/IP Illustrated" is considered to be the Bible by many, myself included...

Haven't heard of the other one..
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you tried to see if any of the books are in the local book stores ? I usually like to go book shopping on amazon and see if barnes and nobles has the book in stock. If they do I'll go to BN and check out the book to see if I think I'll like it. If I like it then I'll get it on amazon.

This is why BN is bankrupt.
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    While Stevens' book is a little older and considered the "bible" by many. I have the PDF version of Charles book. Personally I feel it's excellent, plan on purchasing a hard copy at some point. I'm sure some will feel certain topics should be covered. As Charles says up front no TCP/IP book can cover 100% everything without being a few thousand pages. You can't go wrong with either book, both are great. I would say if you can read some examples of Stevens' book. Since Charles is free to read through his site. See which writing style you prefer & easier to digest.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Richard Stevens' "TCP/IP Illustrated" is considered to be the Bible by many, myself included...

Haven't heard of the other one..

The Stevens book was the first TCP/IP book I read, and at the time, I'd have agreed with you. It's a little dated these days though, and it's more slanted towards a programmer who needs to learn TCP/IP.

In my opinion, it's real value is in teaching you to effectively use tcpdump. That's a skill that woefully few network guys seem to have these days (everyone seems to prefer wireshark)

I think Comer's book is better at teaching TCP/IP fundamentals, however. It's what I use as my primary reference.

I might have to pickup the No Starch book though. At close to 1200 pages, it looks to be a more complete reference
  • up2thetimeup2thetime Member Posts: 154
    Awesome!

The Comer's book actually sounds great. Just checked it out on Amazon.

Thanks for the responses!
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I think Comer's book is better at teaching TCP/IP fundamentals, however. It's what I use as my primary reference.

I second this.

I've gone through Stevens book recently enough and didn't think it was great.

Currently going through Comers book and think it's great. And it seems to be a book that can be read cover to cover unlike Stevens book where you can pretty much skip over chunks of it.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"