Options

c

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited January 2019 in Off-Topic
c

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So what are the objectives? Just post your scripts?
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you are seriously wasting your time if you are learning vbscript for windows based administration.

Powershell | way-forward
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    WP4NWP4N Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Completely agree with Pash.

PowerShell offers so much functionality for Windows administration/automation.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Powershell is definitely the way to go for Windows based administration, I use it daily for managing our vSphere environment using PowerCli and powergui as the ISE.

I am someone that is familiar with some basic programming terminology and syntax so that helps with powershell, but if you never knew what an object or array was before, then it does not matter with powershell, because it's easy to pickup and learn.

There are many free resources on the web, I recommend powershell.com, powergui.org, and you can listen to podcasts, one in particular is called...I think powerscripting, it's with Hal Rottenberg (http://halr9000.com is his site)
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How does PoSH stack up against vbscript with login scripts in an AD environment?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    How does PoSH stack up against vbscript with login scripts in an AD environment?

Depends on your environment. There is no reason why you cannot use PoSh for login scripts unless you are running in an environment that prohibits PoSh from being installed for some stupid reason (assuming mostly XP machines).

With PoSh you have access to nearly all the .NET Framework so that opens up things that VB scripters could only imagine.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a significant need to know other languages. PoSH is the new hotness, but nobody is going to rewrite all their existing scripts unless they only have a few, or they have a lot of time on their hands and need to look busy. At my previous job everything (many hundreds of scripts) was in VBScript, and the job before that mostly everything (many thousands of scripts) was in KiXtart. It will be difficult to function in these environments if you only know PoSH and can't handle other languages.

I'm not saying you shouldn't learn PoSH, but at least play with some other languages to have some exposure to them. Even if you are able to work in an environment where you can use PoSH for everything, there may just be that one mission critical script written in JScript/VBScript/KiXtart/etc. that you have to fix someday.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV