Options

70-680 Win 7 RAID 5 question

Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
I have run into some conflicting info on my practice tests for 70-680. From what I have found, Win 7 does NOT support SW RAID 5. However, I keep getting questions on my practice tests where the correct answer is to use RAID 5. What gives? I am assuming that I should always pick the best answer and not be thinking in terms of HW versus SW RAID scenarios - because every answer I have seen selects RAID 5 as the correct answer when RAID 5 would be the appropriate solution.

Can anyone give me some guidance or experiences they have seen with practice scenarios and this issue?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Yeah, W7 doesn't support software raid 5.

What material are you using...? Sounds questionable.
  • Options
    It was actually the practice tests that come with the MS Press book. The question I am asking about is as follows:

You want to configure a computer running Windows 7 Enterprise for high availability. This computer is used to evaluate scientific
    data. You want the volume hosting the operating system to be able to survive the failure of a disk. The volume hosting the scientific
    data should also be fault-tolerant, but it should have the best read/write performance possible. You do not want to use any special
    disk controller software or hardware but instead use the built-in fault tolerance options available in Windows 7.
    Which of the following redundant array of independent disks (RAID) configurations should you use for this computer? (Each correct
    answer presents part of the solution. Choose two.)
    1. Use RAID 1 for the operating system volume. <Correct>
    2. Use RAID 1 for the volume hosting data.
    3. Use RAID 0 for the operating system volume.
    4. Use RAID 5 for the operating system volume.
    5. Use RAID 5 for the volume hosting data. <Correct>
    6. Use RAID 0 for the volume hosting data.

Based on the highlighted text that I colored red I think the answers should ahve been 1 and 2, not 1 and 5. Since there is no RAID-5 in Windows 7 I think this answer is wrong?

• Options
    Actually this question was from the CD that came with the MS Press 70-680 book.

I went through the errata and manually update my book. I have to say that most of the errors were silly typos, but there were a few commands that were butchered pretty good - and the instructions for creating one of the boot CD's (PE) were totally worthless - I got that from online. I think the book forgot to say you needed BOOT.WIM among other issues.

MS Press really needs to give out vouchers for say $20 off your next MS Press purchase if you bought this book in its first printing. It had too many errors for a Microsoft book.
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    That 70-680 book is a ripper! There is no Raid-5 in Win7. Maybe the reason why the MS Press books has so many errors is so that we can do some extra research to find out the answers ourselves.

Nah who am I kidding, the writers were just lazy and didnt quality check the content.
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    However, RAID 5 would NOT meet the requirements in this case. So it's a moot point (and the sort of answer you might find on the exam that you KNOW to eliminate).