Options

Little to no experinece, how do I break into the field?

giggitygiggity Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently, All I can claim is an associate in computer support, A+ certification, 4 months of college internship and one 2 week project assignment of basically copying and pasting user data to new laptops.

I had only 3 phone interviews since I graduated in 2010 and failed all of them(including one today), because they ask mostly generic customer service related questions, which I have no experience in.

Before I decided the fantasy of getting a job in computers I was doing warehouse work. That was way back in 2007. I've made the mistake of going to school full-time and not working and now I am paying the price. Now that I have a college degree, certification and work related to computers, I am now overqualified even to get a job in warehouse.

I feel that I am in a deadzone, underqualified for entry-level help desk and overqualified for warehouse work. What do I do to gain experience in IT? or should I just give up entirely? (some people aren't cut out for white-collar jobs)

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Start working on a CCENT/MCTS/MCP. That'll get your resume get picked from the pile. That being said, dont get discouraged. If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you my story in a few lines.

I did my BS in Telecomm Engineering and couldnt find a related job whatsoever. Some wise (!?!) person advised me to get an MS which he said would definitely get me a job. Very very wrong. When I applied for those entry level roles and chucked in my BS and MS degrees in there, every HR baboon would go "O you are too qualified for this position". I couldnt find a Telecomm/IT job for about a year, this was over 5 years ago. I finally landed one at an ISP and have been quite lucky to get the role I currently have.

So my advice is to work on those certs, write yourself a good resume and keep applying. Your resume must have keywords that the HR baboons look for. See the job description and ensure you have most if not all those keywords. Keep plugging away, you'll get a job soon.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Maybe apply to WGU? Since you won't need to take any general education requirements and you can transfer in your A+ that will knock out two classes. Regardless, you're going to have to work on your certifications anyways.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    drew726 wrote: »
    Maybe apply to WGU? Since you won't need to take any general education requirements and you can transfer in your A+ that will knock out two classes. Regardless, you're going to have to work on your certifications anyways.

He already has a AS in a tech related degree, not sure if more education at this point in the game is worth it ( maybe down the line) I say set you feet in and grind grind grind for a entry level spot. Call recruiters and get your resume out there, it will happen.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    He already has a AS in a tech related degree, not sure if more education at this point in the game is worth it ( maybe down the line) I say set you feet in and grind grind grind for a entry level spot. Call recruiters and get your resume out there, it will happen.

Yeah, well I'm just saying if he plans on getting his CCNA or MCITP, he'd already be 75% into a bachelor's degree. Kill two birds with one stone basically.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)