Options

Fowarding Stub Zones and Delegation

AndreLAndreL Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took my 291 exam a long time ago but I forgot some stuff so clear me in on something.

Forwarding is the same as delegation but with delegation you forward with in the same domain tree. And they are both statically updated.
Unlike Stub Zones which are dynamically updated and have 3 record The SOA A and NS unlike the forwarder which only two records the A and NS - correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Oh yea I putting this question here cause I'm studying for my 70-240 exam

Comments

• Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    I'm pretty confused about this stuff myself, but I think you are right in your assumptions.

Anyway, this is something I found on another forum (written in 2007, pre Win2K8 in other words):

Delegation - Similar to what the root servers do to the top level domains (com, org, net etc.). They "know" there's something down there, they "know" who's the DNS server that's holding that information (i.e authoritive for that domain), and that's about it.

In order to delegate a domain, the DNS tha'ts delegating needs to hold the parent domain. For example, DNS holding the petri.co.il zone CAN delegate to the sales sub-domain under petri.co.il. It CANNOT delegate to the cnn.com domain.

Oh, and they do not need the sub-domain's permissions to do that.

Stub Zone - Like in delegation, the DNS server "knows" there's something out there, and "knows" who's the DNS server that's authoritive for that domain. Like delegation, stub zones DO NOT REQUIRE the cooperation of the "other" DNS server.

Unlike delegation, the DNS tha'ts holding the stub zone does NOT need to hold the parent domain or any other domain for that matter. For example, DNS holding the petri.co.il zone CAN have a stub zone to practically any other domain in the world, as long as the authoritive DNS of the "other" domain "knows" about this and authorizes the part-time zone transfer.

Conditional Forwarding - Like in delegation, the DNS server "knows" there's something out there, and "knows" who to forward the query to (this does NOT necessarily have to be the DNS server that's authoritive for that domain). Like with delegation, conditional forwarding does NOT require the cooperation of the "other" DNS server, and no zone transfer takes place.

Also, unlike delegation and just like with stub zones, the DNS that's holding the stub zone does NOT need to hold the parent domain or any other domain for that matter. For example, you can configure conditional forwarding of your queries to any DNS server in the world, as long as you think it "knows" better than you about a specific target domain.

Unlike regular forwarding, where ALL the queries that the DNS is not authoritive for or does not have information for in its cache are forwarded to ONE external DNS server (most likely - the ISP's DNS server), conditional forwarding is done for a specific domain. Just like stub zones, this allows much more flexibility between organizations that have some sort of relationship between them but without the need to establish any sort of replication between them.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)