Options

2nd interview expectations (plus a dumb question on attire)

unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

So to my surprise I received a call from a company I interviewed with about 2 months ago for a network technician position. They asked if I was still looking for work and wanted to know if I would come in for another interview.

As I said I was a little surprised because I really didn't think my first interview went all that well and I thought they were looking for someone with a little more technical experience. Either way, I said sure I'd love to come in and scheduled an interview time.

So, now I am looking for some advice as to what you would expect in terms of questioning for a second interview? The first interview we pretty much just went over my resume, they asked about some of the technologies and projects I had listed (I got a little pop-quiz so to speak), and we discussed the company a bit.

Also this is silly, but generally for interviews I tend to go with the slacks, dress shirt, and tie look. Mainly because (don't laugh), I've never owned a full suit. Anyway, I decided recently to pick up a full suit for future interviews and now I am wondering what would be appropriate for a second interview? Would a full suit and tie be too much for a 2nd interview (especially since I didn't were a full suit the first time)? My potential boss was dressed in a polo and khakis. I'm wondering what you guys think? Full suit, or maybe suit jacket and pants with no tie? Or the same as I wore first time? Or maybe even more casual like dress shirt and slacks and no tie? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    1. They probably tried to hire someone who didn't work out and are now going back through their second/third/fourth candidates.

2. Wear the suit. Even if it is not necessary, you won't regret wearing it at the very least.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Heero wrote: »
    1. They probably tried to hire someone who didn't work out and are now going back through their second/third/fourth candidates.

2. Wear the suit. Even if it is not necessary, you won't regret wearing it at the very least.

What he said ^^
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    In terms of questions, be ready for technical questions again (after two months, they might need a refresher on who you are).

Also, know more about their company than you did the last time you were there.

If they want to try to begin bringing you in, be ready for that line of questions, in case it occurs (you never know on a second look).

Also, it never hurts to wear a suit. Better to dress "too much" than "not enough".

I never wore a suit to an interview before I went to my last job, and after getting hired on, they admitted being a bit put off by the fact that I did not wear a suit, and my resume did no justice to my true skill set, even though I held up in the technical interview quite well. (Honestly speaking, I did not own a suit at the time.)

Since that time, I did buy a suit that I used for future interviews, LOL. Also, I worked on weaknesses in my resume. (Basically, I read it myself, and was critical of it, and posted it on forums for tips, etc.)

I've had to shorten it up some recently (an experienced interviewer advised me that I had good experience, but I needed to shorten up the resume some, four pages was overkill for 11 years of experience), having it down to two pages now, and am working on getting it down to one page at this point.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can never be over dressed.

But under dressed will lose you a job before you open your mouth.