Options

WGU vs. DeVry?

Sirior83Sirior83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently considering a bachelor's in information system's security from DeVry but read they only give 30 credit hours in a specialization. How does WGU's BS in IT look in general? Edit: My eventual IT goal right now is pen testing.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I've looked at both schools in depth, personally I'd go with WGU over DeVry.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Everyone wrote: »
    I've looked at both schools in depth, personally I'd go with WGU over DeVry.

Same. Especially since devry is for-profit and more expensive.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    I was recently looking into both and from everything I found out from here and the school it self, it seems WGU is leaps and bounds better in many ways over DeVry.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    briandy81 wrote: »
    I was recently looking into both and from everything I found out from here and the school it self, it seems WGU is leaps and bounds better in many ways over DeVry.
    you must really dedicate yourself with self study. if you can schedule yourself you will succeed.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    WGU. I did my B.S. at DeVry and wish I'd done WGU instead.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Neither.

AMU Degree Program: Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Security

I looked at WGU's ISS and thought it was dreadful. Little security sprinkled in with mostly networking and some sys admin/programing. When Security is so much more. I really think the AMU program is way more focused and provides a more specific education on security. AMU is open to civilians as well.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AMU & DeVry both charge per credit, WGU charges per term. Something to consider.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    afcyung wrote: »
    Neither.

AMU Degree Program: Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Security

I looked at WGU's ISS and thought it was dreadful. Little security sprinkled in with mostly networking and some sys admin/programing. When Security is so much more. I really think the AMU program is way more focused and provides a more specific education on security. AMU is open to civilians as well.

Looking at AMUs program it looks to be focused more on a security auditor/analyst type of position while WGUs looks more network security related. The thing about security is there are dozens of different ways to go. WGU is more for someone that can and more importantly will learn on their own.

WGUs main attraction is price and allowing accelerated learning without added cost. The trade off is the style of learning and lack of a classroom environment. WGU also lacks some basic courses in systems you may encounter like MAC, Linux and wireless technology.

Every program will be different and each person will be different. Cost alone should not be the only factor to learning. Each person needs to weigh what they want to learn with how much they are willing to spend. Each person needs to take a look at how much they actually know and what the need to know and go from there.

Knowing a few people who have gone through DeVry I can honestly say you can learn as much or as little as you want. One person took the time to learn what was being taught while others just learned enough to pass. This person knows a lot about a lot of different aspects of technology and is very diverse in what he is able to do. The others … not so much … I’ve seen people go through various online and B&M tech schools and it the adage has allows shown true … You are only as good as what you know. If you don’t take the time to learn what you are being taught then it is just a waste of money.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    briandy81 wrote: »
    -snip-

I haven't had an issue with DeVry honestly. The classes were easy though and some of the teachers weren't as strict as I would think they should've been. But then again I'm also not 18 going to college. The classes that were probably going to be hard for me when I was that age are trivial at 33.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kevozz wrote: »
    Can someone chime in on what their degree from WGU cost?

It cost me 3K to finish my BS at WGU because I finished it in one term. Win.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    It cost me 3K to finish my BS at WGU because I finished it in one term. Win.

One term is very short for a BS even with transfering credits/certs. How did you do it?

Never mind, found it.
  • Options
    itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    I gone to Devry University currently 99/126 credits but still need 24K or so to finish my degree in a 1.5 years. I switch to WGU but not many credits transfer so, currently at WGU but I miss Devry way of study. I am not sure whether or not is best to get a loan and finish up with Devry if is going to take just as long to do at wgu. Both fields I am taking are within Networking and Design or Management.

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've actually enjoyed my experience at DeVry, I was actually fortunate to have some knowledgeable teachers and was able to learn some cool things when I was starting despite the bad rep DeVry gets.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Counselors and advisors at devry are a pain in the ass to deal with. I know this from experience.

Half of them don't know what they are talking about and WILL toss in classes you don't need. I personally believe that they do this knowingly and they mislead you.

Reviews speak for themselves. A lot of employers look down on devry, around here at least, in PA.

My cousin ended up doing an extra semester because they misled him to believe he needed courses which weren't needed.

I would be very cautious. They seem helpful at first and it's like you're bothering them afterwards.
    Not
    sure about WGU.
  • Options
    robaatorobaato Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking of switching back to DeVry as it's more recognized. I'm currently in WGU but I don't like the format, you are 100% on your own, I still buy my own resources as they are still going through growing pains and employers don't recognize them and will always ask if they are acredited. Kaplan has 6 week classes and I use their software. None of them will transfer to Cal Poly Pomona or any state university but i've been looking at:
    • Champlain University
    • Kaplan University
    • DeVry University
    • Colorado Technical University
    I need to compare them by:
    • Price
    • Class term (1 at a time, quarter, semester, etc)
    • Help (mentor by email, virtual class room, actual teacher, etc)
    • Recognition (How will an employer look or rate the school)
    • Accredidation (This is difficult as there are so many different agencies but they have to be listed in US DOE) Regional is supposed to be better then National.
    • How many courses needed to graduate
    I've googled best online universities and some sites seem to be sponsored or phony. My goal is MS Security and Forensics.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Security is wide, but regardless of where you want to go in it you really need a foundation in networks and sysad... and if you want pentesting, programmming and forensics as well. If you want auditing, you still need that networking and sysad foundation as you really do need to know how things work before you can audit them.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I just started at WGU last month. I'm absolutely in love with the self-study and self-pace aspect of the classes. I'm rewarded by how much previous knowledge I have and by how much effort I put into my classes. Myself, I'm learning a ton.

I can't really speak as far as what employers will "think" of the school once I graduate and it's on my resume. All I know is it is fully accredited and it will satisfy that HR checkbox of "has applicable 4yr degree."

My opinion is: Unless you go to a recognizable school -OR- that person who is looking at your resume/interviewing you specifically knows the school, it doesn't really matter. There's plenty of schools out there that no one has heard of that charge just as much as the top-tier ivy league schools.

Until I discovered WGU just a few months back, I pretty much gave up the dream of finishing my 4yr degree.

Just my 2cents.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    robaato wrote: »
    I was thinking of switching back to DeVry as it's more recognized. I'm currently in WGU but I don't like the format, you are 100% on your own, I still buy my own resources as they are still going through growing pains and employers don't recognize them and will always ask if they are acredited. Kaplan has 6 week classes and I use their software. None of them will transfer to Cal Poly Pomona or any state university but i've been looking at:
    • Champlain University
    • Kaplan University
    • DeVry University
    • Colorado Technical University
    I need to compare them by:
    • Price
    • Class term (1 at a time, quarter, semester, etc)
    • Help (mentor by email, virtual class room, actual teacher, etc)
    • Recognition (How will an employer look or rate the school)
    • Accredidation (This is difficult as there are so many different agencies but they have to be listed in US DOE) Regional is supposed to be better then National.
    • How many courses needed to graduate
    I've googled best online universities and some sites seem to be sponsored or phony. My goal is MS Security and Forensics.

Transfering credit from an online school to a B&M one is hit and miss but the degree will transfer.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned UAT. They look like they have a good program for security and forensics and are about $4k per semester (3 semesters per year) for 12-16 credits each semester. I was looking at UAT along with WGU and went with WGU because of the ability to do as much as possible per semester and certs.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a BS in CIS from DeVry and it was a very good education. Now, those who think that the degree is looked down upon with companies hiring is wrong. I've had many tell me that it's a great school and that they prefer to pick students from the school as their graduates tend to be more ready to jump into the work environment and get rolling. Now, yes, it was expensive but I was able to finish up my bachelors degree (only about 20 credits from CC transferred) in 2 years by taking an average of 20-25 credit hours per trimester. I really liked the structured environment that they offered and many great teachers that I worked with. Many of which had real world working experience and not just teaching experience. They really helped to prep me for the real world and I'd recommend them to anyone.

On the internet, there are many who end up slamming DeVry for one reason or another. I don't get what their hate about the school is, but some have it. Maybe they couldn't cut it or they are loyal to their state college system instead of a system like what DeVry offers. Whenever I've been looking for a job, I've had great success working with their career planners to find a new job and they will actually work to help you find a job that fits with what you are looking for. That's something that I'll always be able to go to in order to find a new job and it's a great plus for them. And since they are nationwide (and in Canada), I am not just limited to the state that I graduated from and get job listings from all over the country.

Now, I will be paying on these loans for a long long time into the future, but I feel like I got a great education from there.

I don't have any experience dealing with WGU, but I find it interesting that someone can graduate in 1 term with a handful of transfer credits or can finish in 1 year if they apply themselves. Seems a bit crazy to be able to do that in such a short amount of time.

And as far as charging per credit hour, most schools actually go this route and very few have a flat rate per term where you can take as much or as little as you want.
  • Options
    robaatorobaato Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can't take as little as you want at WGU. There is a minimum of full time 12 unit credits per 6 mo term. In CA employers don't look down on Devry, they even accept ITT. I think it's the state university students that look down on it. I understand their point as there are a lot more courses in the state universities for the same degree.

I have not heard back from DeVry as to cost, which courses transfer and how much more courses would be left compared to staying at WGU. Only emails to fill out student loans. Correction, they just called. Looks like I would need about 9 classes vs about 6 at WGU. $100/unit but offering A scholorship with A big "maybe".

I have heard nothing back from Kaplan at all.

Coloroado tech never sent anything by email as they said. They keep calling, but never leave a voice mail. Not going to enroll without pricing and finding out about transferd credits.

Champlain has called and left voice mails and many emails. They are a lot more expensive and a lot more classes. I'm not sure what would transfer though.

Here's some ranking lists...
    OEDb's Online College Rankings: The Best Online Universities
    Colorado Technical is the top of my choices on this list but their admissions service is extremely lacking at best.
    2nd is Champlain, next is DeVry, then Kaplan and finally WGU.

Champlain is on this list but none of the others are...
    Best Online Colleges of 2012 | Top Online Schools Ranking

WGU #3 of Private schools on this list behind two Christisn schools...
    Best Online Colleges & Universities - 2011 rankings of top online schools

The I wish I could get in the top 4 and wow Berkely is A bargain...
    Best Computer Engineering Programs | Top Engineering Schools | US News Graduate Schools

The ivy (why am I even looking at) league list ...
    National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Tuition (lowest to highest)
    1. WGU
    2. Colorado Technical
    3. Kaplan
    4. Champlain
    5. Devry
    Regional University Rankings | Top Regional Universities | US News Best Colleges
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go with WGU. I graduated last year and can't say enough good things about the school. I recommend WGU all the way!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I don't have any experience dealing with WGU, but I find it interesting that someone can graduate in 1 term with a handful of transfer credits or can finish in 1 year if they apply themselves. Seems a bit crazy to be able to do that in such a short amount of time.

If they are intelligent and motivated, why should they have to be in debt for decades to other schools where the degree is based on sitting in a classroom for 4 years?

Also, I would say it's safe to say that 1 term graduates are extremely rare.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Without trying to start any arguments on this post, here is my experience.

I graduated form DeVry , enjoyed the classes, its a recognized Degree, its expensive!, the degree helps me out with jobs 100% of the time.

WGU , i never heard of it until i came to this forum, i am sure they have great courses, but no one knows or talks about WGU at least down here in southern cali.

One last thing, you will still have to get some certs under your belt to compete confidently in the job market.

Those are just facts, no comparisons what so ever, i leave that to you.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I agree with SteveLord. It's EXTREMELY rare to get through WGU in just one term unless you transferred a BOATLOAD of credits from having a bunch of certifications and a AS degree from another institution. I think the only person that I heard get through it in one term was Swild and he got a lot of credits transferred. (Note: Swild, you did an amazing job this semester)

That being said, I am finishing my degree this semester (waiting for my capstone to be approved). I consider myself to have above average intelligence/motivation and it took me about 3 terms to finish while juggling CISSP studies, contracting, and a full-time job. I picked WGU because of it's accreditation, the price, and that it fit well with my schedule.

I could have gone to a university or community college where the credits are anywhere from $26-200/per credit but I would have been fighting students for classes. In the California college system, you sometimes have to accrue BS credits so you get some seniority so you can get access to enroll in the classes you actually need for your degree. Also, most classes are still not online so I could have had to be sitting in a class for hours a week which would conflict with my job and contracting.

I never considered ITT Tech, DeVry, or any of those for-profit colleges (Tuition cost $365-609 per credit hour and total tuition costs for computer degree is 77K Source: http://www.devry.edu/assets/pdf/uscatalog/US-Catalog-tuition-chart.pdf). I know that some people have had success stories with them but I didn't feel I would be getting a good deal considering their reputation with employers and the fact I would be paying more per credit than any UC or community college. I applaud anyone who was able to make the best of their degree and succeed but it just wasn't worth it to me considering how far in debt I would be putting myself. I think there's a reason why the repayment rate for school loans at for-profit college is only 36% compared to the 54-56% at private and public colleges.

I came to the decision to enroll in WGU because it was fully accredited and it didn't have a poor reputation among employers. I can deal with someone never hearing about my college compared to a potential employer having a poor opinion that I have to somehow reverse during the course of a 10 minute interview. Also, I like the idea that I won't be buried in debt by the time I get out of school. I was able to pay my tuition as I went but even if I took loans, I would have only accrued $6870 for an undergrad degree ($2890 tuition - $600 semester for their IT Professionals scholarship * 3) Even if my WGU degree never really gets me a raise or make a difference in my employment opportunities, at least I won't be struggling to pay it off for the next 10 years or, even worse, default on my loans.

With all that being said, WGU isn't for everyone. It requires YOU to sit down and STUDY on your own. If you're someone that needs someone else to set up a routine for you, you'll fail at WGU. You can't procrastinate yourself into a degree. Good luck, OP, in whatever you choose
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    chrisone wrote: »
    I graduated form DeVry , enjoyed the classes, its a recognized Degree, its expensive!, the degree helps me out with jobs 100% of the time.
    That is what matters. What you got out of your time there.
    chrisone wrote: »
    WGU , i never heard of it until i came to this forum, i am sure they have great courses, but no one knows or talks about WGU at least down here in southern cali...
    I touched on that in my post above. I don't have a crazy amount of management experience, but I have some and have hired/interviewed employees in a professional work environment and I don't think that has any factor in a hiring decision. There's a ton of great colleges that no one has heard of. What they care about is accreditation and reputation.
    ... I picked WGU because of it's accreditation, the price, and that it fit well with my schedule...
    This is why I chose WGU as well.
    ...I never considered ITT Tech, DeVry, or any of those for-profit colleges.
    I actually considered all options, for-profits and local universities. For my situation (I'm 37yrs old, with a family, house, etc) I had a hard time trying to justify in putting my family $25 - 60k in debt. I got to the point that I was almost OK with the debt, but then it was the time commitment. I calculated it all out using an excel spreadsheet down to minutes(and wouldn't you know, I recently just deleted it because I started at WGU and it wasn't a factor anymore).

I would've spent an INSANE amount of time just in traveling time from work to school and then back home. I went through several scenarios and the quickest if going to local university it was going to take me approx 4-7yrs. That is taking 3 classes, year-round. That route, I would've went to work in the morning and got home 10-11pm for 4-5days a week for the next 4-7years! I would miss my daughter growing up. That was the deal breaker for me.

So, I started considering the Strayer's online options. With the online, I am home at least. Quickest time with that was like 2.5yrs, but the cost was like $40-60k... I don't know how WGU never was on my radar, but at that time it wasn't so I gave up the idea of finishing school.

With WGU, I'm not missing out on my daughter growing up. I'm there eating dinner with her every night, spending time playing with her and I'm there putting her to bed. It's not for the next 4+ years either.
    ...With all that being said, WGU isn't for everyone. It requires YOU to sit down and STUDY on your own. If you're someone that needs someone else to set up a routine for you, you'll fail at WGU...
    When I started WGU (just 2 months ago) I was shooting for 3-4 terms (1.5 - 2yr) completion timeframe. But, with WGU's self pace learning I see myself finishing in 2 terms (1yr).

The problem with questions like these is the real answer has to be tailored to the person, and that's going to vary. If I was in my 20s, no kids, the idea of spending 4-7yrs might not be an issue. It is an issue for me at the ripe age of 37 though.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    I would say WGU is better than Devry since Devry is for-profit and way too expensive.
  • Options
    HLRS wrote: »
    I would say WGU is better than Devry since Devry is for-profit and way too expensive.

I will respectfully disagree. If the cost of education is the only factor, then sure, WGU beats DeVry in that aspect. As a graduate of DeVry the quality of education is definitely high and one that I am happy I have. As I didn't go to WGU, I cannot comment on the quality of the education that one gets there, and it seems that it is very popular choice for those here on TE due to the cost of the education and the pace that you can have. I would just say that DeVry is different than WGU as there are differences in the grading and structure compared to what you would encounter at DeVry or most other colleges.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Cost certainly isn't everything but what you're getting for that cost is certainly important. I have come across many in IT management that have negative opinions of the types of degrees that DeVry offers. You may not have come across this but in many positions I've held, I have heard C-level executives and management say negative things about the candidates they received from those schools. Even the graduates from for-profit colleges have a MUCH harder time repaying their loans compared to public universities (36% repayment rate compared to 56%) which tells me that the majority of graduates aren't getting the quality of jobs they need to be getting to pay back the loan.

I've also come across many transfers who were critical of the education they started to get at DeVry citing old or poor school books, professors that encouraged them to use braindumps (and reviewing braindumps during classes), etc. I'll take that with a grain of salt since different branches in different states can be different but I'd encourage the OP and others to compare overall reviews of both colleges online:
    DeVry University Online Reviews - Distance Education.org
    Western Governors University Reviews - Distance Education.org

and

Western Governors University Reviews
    DeVry University Reviews

That being said, I'm EXTREMELY happy that you got a great value out of DeVry. I know of many people on this forum that went to for-profit schools and went onto great careers. I've met a couple of those in my career and they were usually outstanding folks. DeVry did help them to some degree but I always got the impression that they would have succeeded regardless of which college they went to. WGU isn't for everyone either. It requires the ability and discipline to self-study, ask questions of the course mentors and search for understanding. Many people can't deal with that so I wouldn't recommend that to everyone either
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Well, I did my education with DeVry 100% online as the closest location to me was 120 miles away. I had known several people who had gone there for school and all were in great jobs making good money even right out of school. One of the things that I liked along with the education was the fact that after you graduated they have a team of career planers that are always available to help you out to find a new job and would have sources to other jobs on the market that weren't marketed on Dice/Monster/etc because they wanted to weed out the job board spammers that wasted their time.

All of the jobs I have had since graduation I found with assistance from DeVry which is a great plus for them. And DeVry isn't for everyone either. You still had to be disciplined because it was easy to get behind if you weren't focused and active in your studies. And if you got behind, you'd be screwed since the courses were 8 weeks. I saw many in my classes that weren't all that good and didn't put in any effort or the time needed and would complain about it. Those are the ones that I imagine that complain the loudest but it was because of their effort that they failed.

Looking at the reviews, I can clearly see why some of them knocked DeVry, they could not put together a coherent sentence if their life depended on it.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started at WGU and had such a bad experience! Felt like they had no clue. Mentors kept leaving and noone would return my calls/emails.

I am currently enrolled at Capella doing a combined BS/MS in Information Assurance and Security with only 3 semsters left. And yes, if you have CISSP it can be applied towards classes!

IMHO Capella > WGU!!!!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+