Entitled to a free exam - is this feasible in a month?

HappyPandaHappyPanda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
EDIT: The more I read about 680 the more I think this is a bad idea haha!

I hope this isn't in the wrong place - I'm wondering about the feasibility of me preparing for a Windows 7 exam in a month (or any of the other ones available to me if all else fails).

I'm sure I haven't been the first person to come here and post this, and I won't be the last. I can choose from a large list of academic Microsoft exams to sit for free - and I only found out about it today! I can get a free code and take the exam by June 30, 2011, which gives me a little over a month to revise and prepare. I only wish I'd found out at the start of this academic year through my university, rather than by accidentally clicking something.

I was considering doing a Windows 7 exam as this seems to be the most relevant, and given my skill level, the most feasible? (EDIT: This is looking less and less likely as I read more and more about exam content :P) I am by no means "advanced", or perhaps don't even meet the requirements for "intermediate", but I'd like to say that in one month's time this will no longer be the case and I can look back upon this and laugh!

If I have a known syllabus, up-to-date practice questions, and enough resources, do you think I could feasibly prepare myself for the 680 or 681 exam in time for June 30th? Or if those ones are unreachable, what other one would you recommend? I'm starting to look at supporting/troubleshooting ones which aren't strictly Windows 7 related.

I have tried to look for example questions already to see what the exam would entail, but websites seem to be charging £20+ per question set, and being a student with rent and insurance to pay, this is something I simply can't afford. If it is legal to access such questions for free, and the same questions appear on the exam, I could prepare myself.

So what I'm asking is if a Windows 7 exam is the right path to take, given my time frame and skill level? I'm not looking for an "easy" way out (okay, maybe I am!), but I'd like to utilise this opportunity while it still exists.

Keep in mind, I'm no expert, but with dedication, I could get there. I apologise if I seem ignorant to those who have sat many of these exams and are now pro - I'd like to be in your position haha :) Thanks!

Comments

• Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I would have to give the usual answer to this - it depends. It will depend on what Windows experience you already have (any XP, Vista, Server 2008 or 2003). If you do not have some experience with any of those 4 - and especially some of the server stuff - then this exam will probably kick your butt.

I would recommend you try and rate your experience on the following technologies related to Windows environments:

Group Policy
    Security for NTFS and shares
    Build in groups for Windows and what they can do
    VPN Reconnect
    DirectAccess
    BitLocker
    BranchCache
    Remote access for Windows
    Remote Desktop
    Windows Backup
    IPv4
    IPv6
    Versions of Windows 7
    Windows 7 requirements
    WDS
    UAC
    Deploying Windows images
    Software Restrictions
    AppLocker
    Windows startup types and recovery scenarios

If you are not at least a 5 on a 1-10 scale with most of these then a month may be hard to prepare to pass 70-680. I have been working with Windows XP for quite awhile and I have my MCSE for 2003 and a good amount of 2008 experience and I am still worried about taking this test (70-680).

Make sure you have at LEAST the 70-680 MS Press book and Darril Gibson's 70-685/6 book - and get the updated errata for the MS Press book.

The MS Press book has a CD with it that has 200 practice questions, so if you can get 80-90% on those then you are in decent shape.

One other thing - you really need to have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate to play around with all the different options - and I HIGHLY recommend trying the practices in the MS Press book. You need a great deal of hands on experience with Win 7 for this exam.

Good luck.
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Having recently passed 70-680 I logged about 120 hours of reading and lab study before I sat this exam.
  • HappyPandaHappyPanda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would have to give the usual answer to this - it depends. It will depend on what Windows experience you already have (any XP, Vista, Server 2008 or 2003). If you do not have some experience with any of those 4 - and especially some of the server stuff - then this exam will probably kick your butt.

I would recommend you try and rate your experience on the following technologies related to Windows environments:

Group Policy
    Security for NTFS and shares
    Build in groups for Windows and what they can do
    VPN Reconnect
    DirectAccess
    BitLocker
    BranchCache
    Remote access for Windows
    Remote Desktop
    Windows Backup
    IPv4
    IPv6
    Versions of Windows 7
    Windows 7 requirements
    WDS
    UAC
    Deploying Windows images
    Software Restrictions
    AppLocker
    Windows startup types and recovery scenarios

If you are not at least a 5 on a 1-10 scale with most of these then a month may be hard to prepare to pass 70-680. I have been working with Windows XP for quite awhile and I have my MCSE for 2003 and a good amount of 2008 experience and I am still worried about taking this test (70-680).

Make sure you have at LEAST the 70-680 MS Press book and Darril Gibson's 70-685/6 book - and get the updated errata for the MS Press book.

The MS Press book has a CD with it that has 200 practice questions, so if you can get 80-90% on those then you are in decent shape.

One other thing - you really need to have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate to play around with all the different options - and I HIGHLY recommend trying the practices in the MS Press book. You need a great deal of hands on experience with Win 7 for this exam.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for posting that list - it really gives me a more tangible idea of what sort of skill level is required. I'll be honest, I'm no where near a 5 on most of those. I think what I'll do is begin to prepare myself with the resources you've recommended and the links posted here. If I've got up to a decent level within a few weeks - and passing becomes plausible - then I'll book the test. My only concern would be that I may not work as hard knowing that I've potentially no set deadline, but I'll try anyway.

I can grab a copy of Ultimate (or any other Windows OS, for that matter) for free through the Academic Alliance, so that would be no problem.

Pzero, did you have a decent skill level before your 120 hours? Or are you a master of cramming and speed learning? :p
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Yeah been an all rounder "Server/Client" etc for a while, but im working as a Desktop Dev Engineer now, figured it would prob be a good idea to update the certs
  • HappyPandaHappyPanda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pzero wrote: »
    Yeah been an all rounder "Server/Client" etc for a while, but im working as a Desktop Dev Engineer now, figured it would prob be a good idea to update the certs

Ah, well done you! Yes, I'm not quite up to that skill level, so I'll think I'll just wait, rather than rush and fail. Unless there's a more feasible option that I can find some past papers for.
  • jerry7jerry7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When you say free voucher, do you mean the free 2nd retake voucher as a student?
  • Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    jerry7 wrote: »
    When you say free voucher, do you mean the free 2nd retake voucher as a student?

you can get a free voucher to take the test first time if you are a student, if the test falls under the 72 series.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you dedicate a LOT of hours you may be able to pass. Having said that, if you've never taken a Microsoft exam I say go take it anyway since it's free. It doesn't matter if you pass or not. At least you get a glimpse at how Microsoft asks questions.
    Lord Nikon wrote: »
    you can get a free voucher to take the test first time if you are a student, if the test falls under the 72 series.

How and where can I find information on that? I am a student as well but I paid for this instead.

Microsoft Offer: Get a Second Shot on Select Microsoft Certification Exams

:)

Thanks,
    JL
    jerry7 wrote: »
    How and where can I find information on that? I am a student as well but I paid for this instead.

I found the voucher from DreamSpark :).

JL
  • chapperschappers Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I'm the same boat and got my exam booked for the 24th June.

Have no experience of Win7 or server 03/08, just 98/98se/me/xp/vista .

Found a few good resources etc:
    Professor Messer's Free Microsoft 70-680 Certification Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

and obviously here.

Got CertBlaster and CBT Nuggets

Sean Odom cert guide

Countdown has started....icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_confused.gif??:icon_confused.gif??:
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i got a free voucher my self how ever i dont think i can do the 70-680 in one month so i think im gonna try the 70-642, hopefully i can cram it in, it looks like network+ with extras
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: