Options

Scripting etc

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Have any of you read a "Head's first" book. Specifically the head's first python book? I feel like I seriously need to learn scripting to take my career to the next level. I have read numerous forum post (some here mostly elsewhere) that have said that python is easier to learn. I have the head's first python book, the programming python book and the grey hat hackers python book. Any one else studying this language?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd like to learn... But no time. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I'd like to learn... But no time. icon_sad.gif

Do you have a suggestion for a first scripting language? I'd also like to learn Java so I can possible write some Android Apps :)
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Do you have a suggestion for a first scripting language? I'd also like to learn Java so I can possible write some Android Apps :)

Powershell scripts

and for unix I would start off any of these bash, csh, ksh, or sh. Though it really depends on your job too. I think if you are a system administrator in a Windows 2008 environment then Powershell scripts will be very useful to you.

Java scripts are different then Java programming and used for different purpose (java scripts typically delt with web based stuff). However, I would just skip java and go to C# or C++ because if you can understand those languages then you can understand java. I wish I had a better teacher in college because I would probably know a lot more programming stuff and care to know more than what I do now. I just dont have the time though I will dig into powershell if it helps my job alot.
  • Options
    higherho wrote: »
    Powershell scripts

and for unix I would start off any of these bash, csh, ksh, or sh. Though it really depends on your job too. I think if you are a system administrator in a Windows 2008 environment then Powershell scripts will be very useful to you.

Java scripts are different then Java programming and used for different purpose (java scripts typically delt with web based stuff). However, I would just skip java and go to C# or C++ because if you can understand those languages then you can understand java. I wish I had a better teacher in college because I would probably know a lot more programming stuff and care to know more than what I do now. I just dont have the time though I will dig into powershell if it helps my job alot.

python and powershell? hmmmm....I like the sound of that.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    perl is also not a bad idea. It's installed by default on pretty much every modern unix install, since alot of old system binaries were modified to perl scripts. python is pretty common as well though, so it's not a bad choice
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I feel like I seriously need to learn scripting to take my career to the next level.

Why scripting?
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Why scripting?

Good question.

Well I think that learning scripting (and some programming) well help make me a better security analyst and a IT pro better overall. I am the youngest guy (career wise and age) at my shop. I am the only one who isn't too skilled at scripting (4 developers and one other admin).
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Why scripting?

if you're not actively going to be developing, there's no real need to learn a programming language. I learned C years ago, but I've used bash and perl to do everything i've needed to do as a unix admin and network engineer
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    if you're not actively going to be developing, there's no real need to learn a programming language. I learned C years ago, but I've used bash and perl to do everything i've needed to do as a unix admin and network engineer

I wasnt asking about scripting in general, but more why he chose it. I use mainly vbscript and batch files but will eventually learn powershell. I use t-sql on a daily basis so thats my key language. No pun intended.